Clear all

Guitar sides badly warped after bending  

RSS

Andrey
(@andrey)
Rookie
Rep Points: 7
03/07/2020 12:27 pm  

Hello, I bought back+sides of african mahogany in touchstonetonewoods and expected to be ok as usual. When I unpacked wood from polyethelene, the back became a little warped with time but the sides - more warped. I did not pay much attention to it thinking it will straighten with pressure. After soaking 24hrs and bending with silicon blanket I got awfully warped wood - some kind of a couple of "thick branches" stand out along the fibre. Tried to straighten it with local pressure with little success. What is the reason and how to avoid it? Thank you.

Warped back sides

mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
04/07/2020 12:51 am  

Hey @andrey -sorry to hear about your trouble..mahogany can be tricky sometimes. A couple of things that might have gone wrong:

• sides were too thick - this would make them difficult to bend
  • soaked too long - I used to soak for 20 mins...now I just spritz with a water sprayer before bending - if soaked too long the water can weaken the fibres of the wood

You might be able to sand it reasonably flat after assembly - especially if the sides are indeed a little chunky... that will help...

After assembly sand it as good as you think it will get and then see what it looks like..it doesn't look terminal from here but it is hard to tell.

Measure twice, cut once...

ReplyReplyQuote
Andrey
(@andrey)
Rookie
Rep Points: 7
04/07/2020 9:51 am  

Many thanks, @markbailey. Andrey

ReplyReplyQuote