A good grain filler?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Andrey
(@andrey)
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 81
05/01/2021 9:36 pm  

Happy new year all, could you please recommend a good grain filler for african mahogany available in the UK? Thank you.

Deej, tv1, Boo and 3 people liked
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 14673
08/01/2021 9:47 am  

@boo

Hey finishing pro, do you have a good recommendation?

Pratice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 20922
08/01/2021 3:40 pm  

Hey finishing pro, do you have a good recommendation?

Erm..... I don’t have a lot of knowledge about grain filler unfortunately. My finishing background is from industry time spent in vehicle refinishing, so metal and plastic substrates. I am having to learn about products to use with wooden substrates so that’s why I’m glad @markbailey has taken the time to develop a finishing course for us all. I have a lot to learn as more detail is added about products etc but all the prep work (sanding etc) is the same. I know how to paint cars, bikes, trucks and just about anything that paint will stick to but there are a few more things for me to learn about painting guitars and other wooden parts. However, I do understand that different coloured grain fillers can produce different aesthetic appearances, a contrasting colour of filler to the colour of the wood can look really good. Experimentation is everything, I’m open to everything. 

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, tv1, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
08/01/2021 4:57 pm  

@boo

Ok, gotcha. It sounds like you’ve got plenty of experience with finishing in general so picking up a few new things with regards to wood should be a breeze. 

Pratice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
08/01/2021 5:03 pm  

@andrey

I just did a Google search and found Aqua Coat at ToneTech for example. I’ve heard great things about this product but there are plenty more to choose from obviously.

You could probably find the same product cheaper somewhere else as well as grain filler doesn’t need to be bought from a Luthier Supply. 

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, I’m not in the UK so I get a pass 😆

Pratice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
08/01/2021 5:24 pm  

I just did a Google search and found Aqua Coat at ToneTech for example. I’ve heard great things about this product but there are plenty more to choose from obviously.

@mattbeels @andrey Yes I forgot about Aquacoat. I have bought some from Tonetech (cheapest place I’ve found in the UK) but it is still sat on a shelf unopened and unused so far. It’s clear so would be fine for any colour of wood and it is supposed to be an excellent product, if not a little expensive. I can’t give a first hand review of this product yet but as soon as I’ve used it, I will do. From reviews and feedback I’ve seen, it’s biggest (and maybe only) negative is the cost. Having said that, it is reported to be very easy to use, it’s water based so easy cleanup too, and easy to sand. So as you can see from my last sentence, it’s an easy product. The only way to know for sure is to use it, I will be soon. 

Deej, tv1, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Andrey
(@andrey)
Hobbyist
09/01/2021 10:08 am  

Many thanks all, AK

Deej, tv1, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Andrey
(@andrey)
Hobbyist
28/03/2021 12:31 pm  

Hello again, about Aquacoat. I tried it and have a question, maybe somebody knows the answer. Yes it works OK, it leaves a transparent coat on the wood.The question :

The can says it should be only "LIGHTLY sanded" which I suppose means that the coat must not be sanded through to the wood. Or not? Just fill the pores?

Many thanks

Deej, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
28/03/2021 12:39 pm  

Hello again, about Aquacoat. I tried it and have a question, maybe somebody knows the answer. Yes it works OK, it leaves a transparent coat on the wood.The question :

The can says it should be only "LIGHTLY sanded" which I suppose means that the coat must not be sanded through to the wood. Or not? Just fill the pores?

@andrey It should only be left in the pores of the wood grain, not coating the whole surface, otherwise it leaves a milky appearance if it’s pooled. 

Listen to Matt at Texas Toast Guitars, he seems to know what he’s talking about. 

Deej, Russ, mattbeels and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1680
28/03/2021 2:58 pm  

I would say it's filler, not coater.

Deej, Robin, tv1 and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Andrey
(@andrey)
Hobbyist
30/03/2021 11:27 am  

Looks like it is a coater (Aqua"coat"), not filler. Why? If you sand its coat to the wood, NEW pores appear. This guy in the video above showed the effect : some parts are sanded to the wood, some are not; the result is "blotchy" spaces (sorry if not correct) - he says it himself. I suspect the full coat must be preserved.

Can anybody advice me a simple way to get rid of african mahogany pores and achieve a glossy finish (in the UK)? Many thanks everybody.

Deej, tv1, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
30/03/2021 12:12 pm  

@audrey

Aquacoat is the brand, not the name of the specific product. The brand also encompasses sanding sealer and topcoats (though those don't seem to be imported here).

If you sand as far as new wood, then obviously there will be pores in that new wood. That's why they say to sand it lightly ( So I suppose it would be correct to say that you're really aiming to leave a very thin coat ).

Clear grain fillers seem to be a rarity, doubly so in the UK. This is another area where I'd love access to the solarez product line, apparently their filler is the best water based grain filler on the market because it has zero shrinkage, all the others will shrink to some degree as they dry, resulting in needing multiple applications with time to dry properly.

Much as I love Matt from Texas Toast he can be a bit of a bull in a China shop, and that was the first time he'd used that product. Chris from Highline is a bit more considered and has done a lot of experimenting with different finish options. My only real issue with his approach is he seems to like A LOT of topcoats, I don't know is that's because he sprays super thin coats, or if he like a thick clear coat (or both).
But we're talking about grain filler here.

Z-Poxy is available in the UK, it's not completely transparent (has a slight ambering effect) but Chris from highline has used it as a filler (though he advises adding microballoons)

(By the way, I'm no expert on this, only just starting out, I just watch a lot of YouTube videos and do a lot of googling for finishing products and instructions on how to use them)

ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
30/03/2021 12:58 pm  

If you're going for a wood coloured finish, then your grain filler doesn't necessarily need to be clear, which gives you some more options here in the UK.

This gentleman uses rustins natural for grain filling for a butterscotch ash finish (he actually produces finishing products himself, but not filler).

Another thing possibly worth noting is that after the filling he's also using a sanding sealer.

https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2011/08/05/finishing-an-ash-telecaster-in-butterscotch/

ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 15091
30/03/2021 1:44 pm  

Could someone please explain the difference between using a grain filler and a sanding sealer? 🤔 

Cheers,

Russ

🙏🎶🎸🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
30/03/2021 1:54 pm  

Could someone please explain the difference between using a grain filler and a sanding sealer? 🤔 

@russ The grain filler fills the grain and the sealer seals everything. 😉

ReplyReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2