Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 13734
30/03/2021 2:01 pm  

I was reading about Chestnut sanding sealer which says it can be used as a base coat for Acrylic lacquer. Does this mean that the grain wouldn't show if I painted over with a coloured paint? 🤔 

🙂🎸🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Deej, Robin, tv1 and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1238
30/03/2021 2:30 pm  

@russ

There are a number of videos (try Brad Angove and Highline Guitars) which address that subject, but I think boo's answer is pretty much on point.

Grain fillers are thicker, they're good for filling the grain and the bigger pores. Sanding sealer sucks at that because the pores just suck it in!

Sanding sealers are basically an easy sand quick drying variant on a topcoat, their main use is to fill all the little pores and let you sand things perfectly smooth for applying further coats (colour and top).

They also have a couple of other uses.

Stains tend to soak into endgrain more than into sidegrain, which is probably what you want when you're dealing with a figured top, but maybe not so much over the rest of the guitar. It seems (haven't tried this myself yet) that if you spray sanding sealer it will soak into the endgrain, then you sand back and the whole thing will take up stain more evenly.

Sanding sealer is also a good way to fix stain after it's applied, so you don't lift it up when you apply your final finish (especially if it's a rub on of brush on finish).

Deej, Robin, tv1 and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
30/03/2021 2:32 pm  

All of this is reminding me I have a few things to order so I can get started on my finishing experiments!

ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 13734
30/03/2021 2:34 pm  

Cheers @jonhodgson & @boo. Much appreciated advice. 

🙏🎶🎸🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16757
01/04/2021 8:33 pm  

Thanks @jonhodgson - that was a useful summary and explanation for me.

I’ve never used grain filler, or sealers, just a little stain and oil.  I should probably experiment some more ...

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
01/04/2021 9:52 pm  

@tv101 I just ordered some grain filler and a couple of different sanding sealers today. Finish experiments are getting closer.

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16757
01/04/2021 9:56 pm  

I never give myself experimentation, or research, time.

On the rare occasions that I get some spare time, it’s a case of making a guitar, then “quick, get it finished” before I run out of the spare time.

Perhaps I should follow your example @jonhodgson when I next get some of that spare time ...

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
01/04/2021 10:02 pm  

@tv101 Ironically I'm spending a small fortune on different options and then will probably spend ages experimenting in order to hopefully find an affordable reasonably quick solution.

But I think somebody has to do a bit of research in the UK, since we have so few guitat labelled finishing products (except for nitro in any colour you like)

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Andrey
(@andrey)
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 81
03/04/2021 4:11 pm  

Thank you all, especially @jonhodgson. You are right, it should be carefully sanded to the wood. For dark wood, like rosewood, it is ok to leave whole coat (see first picture, not very bad),

but for light-colored wood it is necessary to carefully sand to the wood to retain wood color as the coat is not completely transparent, see picture 2. Darker places on the picture are sanded to the wood, the lighter milky places - where some coat is left.

Walnut heel

It does not make much difference for a white electric body, for for acoustic one it is tricky.

mattbeels, tv1, Deej and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
03/04/2021 4:51 pm  

@andrey

Are you using sanding sealer? It might work best to sand the filler just to the wood and then give a good coat of sanding sealer to deal with any small pores which may have opened up.

I've a pot of Aquacoat clear filler on order, and three kinds of sanding sealer, so I'll do some experiments.

Might need to get some different woods to test on though, I've just got a bunch of ash pieces at the moment.

ReplyReplyQuote
Andrey
(@andrey)
Hobbyist
04/04/2021 9:54 am  

I honestly did not know what a sanding sealer is. I will try.

My main problem is with pores on african mahogany (back and sides).

ReplyReplyQuote
Andrey
(@andrey)
Hobbyist
04/04/2021 10:10 am  

No, actually I got it at home. Did not pay attenting that it is "sanding" sealer. I will try.

ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 19113
04/04/2021 10:12 am  

@andrey I did actually say that it was a filler and not a sealer, I think it’s name is a little misleading. It should only be left in the the pores of the grain, not left sitting on the surface. The video link I posted of Matt at Texas Toast shows he clearly (no pun intended) had the same problem as you and he was advised, by the techs at Aquacoat, to “only leave it in the grain”. Sanding sealer is then sprayed over it and used in the normal way before clear coating. 

mattbeels, tv1, Rocknroller912 and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Andrey
(@andrey)
Hobbyist
04/04/2021 10:14 am  

Yes, thanks, understood.

ReplyReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2