Hello / buying machines advice  

Page 3 / 8
  RSS

Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 3086
30/03/2021 10:03 pm  

I’ve never found a cutting job that I can’t do with a good hard point hand saw. I think the use of machinery is over rated sometimes, unless you are in business making dozens of instruments a year and time is critical it’s not worth the aggravation.

Don’t call us we’ll call you

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1841
30/03/2021 11:02 pm  

biggest issue is the distance from drill to pillar could be bigger.  

@frocesterbill Yeah I have the same with mine. I was thinking of modifying mine, turn the drill the other way around and make a new baseplate underneath, so I could put thebody underneath the pillar drill. I might need longer drill bits to make this work though. I haven't really worked it out yet. There is so much things I still need to do ..

ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
30/03/2021 11:06 pm  

Not 100% sure if I want to do that anyway. I dont know if it is worth the effort, since you can also make almost perfect straight holes with a temporary drill guide out of 2 blocks of wood.

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 7560
30/03/2021 11:24 pm  

@koendb

I was thinking of modifying mine, turn the drill the other way around and make a new baseplate underneath, so I could put thebody underneath the pillar drill. I might need longer drill bits to make this work though.

I like the way you're thinking there, I've got to drill post holes for the bridge that my pillar drill won't reach. I haven't had much success keeping the holes vertical with a hand drill. I plunged the holes with a router the last time, that worked for me.

ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
31/03/2021 12:06 am  

https://www.woodmagazine.com/drills/drill-perpendicular-holes-without-a-drill-press

This is a viable alternative and a pretty cheap one too 🙂

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 13732
31/03/2021 12:33 pm  

@andyferguson. Hey Andy, Have you got your Bandsaw and Pillar Drill from Axminster yet? 

What do you think of them? Does the Pillar Drill feel powerful enough? 

Cheers,

Russ

🙏🎶🙂🎸

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Deej, tv1, Koendb and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Andy Ferguson
(@andyferguson)
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 66
31/03/2021 2:51 pm  

Yeah got them.  Not setup the drill yet, still trying to work out space for everything... Bandsaw is running great so far as I can tell, setup was pretty straightforward.  The cuts I’ve done have all been as accurate as I need so very happy.  Hopefully get the drill setup over the weekend, will let you know 👍🏻

Deej, tv1, Koendb and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Andy Ferguson
(@andyferguson)
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 66
31/03/2021 2:53 pm  
5127E116 2A16 45EF 8252 1302376BC0B7

Likeakite, Deej, tv1 and 5 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 13732
31/03/2021 4:37 pm  

@andyferguson.

Cheers Andy.

Bandsaw looking good. 

🎸🙂🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Deej, tv1, Koendb and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 19112
31/03/2021 4:52 pm  

Yeah got them.  Not setup the drill yet, still trying to work out space for everything... Bandsaw is running great so far as I can tell, setup was pretty straightforward.  

@andyferguson Nice, I’m glad you’ve managed to get them delivered before Easter, it’s play time. 👍 I don’t think you can go far wrong with Axminster stuff, great quality. 

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

tv1, Deej, Andy Ferguson and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 485
09/04/2021 6:58 am  

This is a viable alternative and a pretty cheap one too 🙂

@koendb so I tried something very similar to this for drilling holes for strings through the body of a makeshift Tele as it wouldn’t fit in my drill press (same Aldi special as @boo has in his video) Basically I took something that was lovely and ruined it if you look at the back!

I should add that impatience and not practicing on waste were likely the main cause of failing. If I tried this again I’d definitely clamp the jig down presuming the body is flat enough to do so and not do it at 1:00 in the morning 😬

I’d love to hear any tips on hand drilling perpendicular holes though, I’ve very limited space so a bigger pillar just isn’t an option for me? At the moment the suggestion above from @robin to use the plunge router seems the most viable!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, Deej, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Semi Professional
09/04/2021 7:02 am  

This was the jig I used from my last post...

DDE7DF17 C016 4C2C ADDA C5E31E933A3B

mattbeels, Likeakite, Deej and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
09/04/2021 8:09 am  

for drilling holes for strings through the body of a makeshift Tele as it wouldn’t fit in my drill press

Same here!

I should add that impatience and not practicing on waste were likely the main cause of failing. If I tried this again I’d definitely clamp the jig down

Yes practicing is important. Something I neglect too often myself. You see these vids by guys who did the same trick for years, so there you go..

I have another possible solution:

IMG 20210409 090217121

It is still unused, but as soon as I have time I will practice with this and let you know if I found it a good alternative. It s certainly  a lot cheaper and takes less space then a drill press 😋 
On the other hand, I cant imagine no one else have tried one of these things before 🤔 

mattbeels, Deej, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Semi Professional
09/04/2021 10:17 am  

@koendb So I’ve seen those power drill drill adaptors before but all the reviews have been really mixed. What they seem to be missing is a way to fine adjust the angle. Presume the best(?) way to set it up would be if you could mount a true straight bar in the Chuck and put the drill near it’s highest point with the bar touching the workpiece you could then tweak the clamp it until it was perpendicular with a square. Can’t help but think the offset weight of the drill in the plastic clamp is going to throw it slightly though. Please do post test results when you can, I’m a long way off needing to do this again anyway 🙂 
If I keep the guitar body less than 50mm then the plunge router, I think, is going to be more accurate. Though it might mean a new cutter as I reckon the router’s lowest speed is way faster than the drill so not sure whether a normal drill bit would work ok or not 🤔

mattbeels, Deej, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
09/04/2021 11:03 am  

@tej Yeah well in this case you want it to be square, so no need to adjust angles. Of course that assumes your surface is square to begin with.
And your point about the accuracy of the device itself of course, that I dont know.
Up until now I have drilled all my post holes freeform and managed to get a pretty decent square result.
I think it was accurate enough for its purpose. 

For a string through, I recon, it must be accurate enough. Or am I wrong?
I would think that , if the holes are drilled consistently, so they line up visually it is enough? Or is there another reason why the holes need to be 100% perpendicular ? 🤔 

I dont know if this makes any sense 🙂

mattbeels, Deej, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 3 / 8