Hello / buying machines advice

Page 9 / 9
  RSS

Twitch2.0
(@twitch2-0)
Rookie
Rep Points: 18
24/05/2021 10:54 am  

The bs250 is sufficient for guitar building. The only limitation I've had sofar is can't bookmatch bodies. I have got the bs250 and I'm happy with mine. 

mattbeels, Tej, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Twitch2.0
(@twitch2-0)
Rookie
24/05/2021 11:31 am  

After reading through all your posts I decided to look into the Axminster and Record Power bandsaw. I decided on the Record Power BS250 10" premium bandsaw, it best meets my needs.

For the sander I had a look at various options and I decided on the Triton oscillating belt and bobbin sander, by far without a doubt, since its arrival I've used for long periods with no issues. I've been using hand tools up until now, man both are a game changer. I got both for under £400.

IMG 20210523 001329
IMG 20210520 214147

Boo, mattbeels, Koendb and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 3156
25/05/2021 11:39 am  

let us know how it goes

@mattbeels I used it on my headstock to thin it a little bit, while it works, I probably should have practiced on some scrap first 🤣 
It eats through the wood very fast. Shaping the volute and ramp up, both front and side was a breeze. but same here, it goes fast so watch out.
I am really really happy with my sander I can tell you that!

I have the cylindrical bobbin sander but it soon became apparent that the flat one was also needed.

@boo I have been thinking about that too! just use my pillar drill, which I already have  and buy a sanding cilinder or two, would be definitely cheaper. But I thought, a what the heck, I just saved some money to buy a new band saw, and since I bought that old bandsaw instead, I had enough money left to buy the sander. 🙂

Thanks for reminding me that I need to spend more money. 😆

You are very welcome! 🤣 

Boo, Tej, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
25/05/2021 12:01 pm  

While I do have a pretty decent router, I could not resist buying these 2 cheap ones 😎 
Costed me 56€ for both
I am thinking about building a router table myself. and this could be just good enough to get me started.
The other one I can use as a spare, as I suspect they wont last very long, or use occasionally for jobs my plunge router is too big for.

IMG 20210525 121810641

Anyone else had any experience with these ones( or similar)?

ReplyReplyQuote
Twitch2.0
(@twitch2-0)
Rookie
25/05/2021 12:10 pm  

I bought one 3 years ago and I haven't used it once. I prefer the plunge router

Boo, Tej, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 4032
25/05/2021 1:41 pm  

@koendb

I wouldn’t use a router table, they are very dangerous, a friend of mine who was a professional woodworker took his ring finger off at the first nuckle joint and he was college trained using one every day. Texas Toast Guitars use a pin router which is a bit safer. Mark has discussed this on his live streams and doesn’t use one.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Boo, Tej, Russ and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
25/05/2021 4:06 pm  

They look ideal for a binding jig or maybe small copy carver.

Measure twice, cut once...

Boo, Tej, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
25/05/2021 4:45 pm  

I wouldn’t use a router table, they are very dangerous

I can see that they are dangerous. 
About the texas toast pin router: well he uses that thing to do all sorts of routing, like cavities and such.
I am perfectly fine  routing cavities with my plunge router , I actually think I prefer to see what I am doing anyway.
Hmmm come to think again .. why would I then need a table router? good question.

I will definitely will remember your advice. Thanks @rocknroller912

They look ideal for a binding jig or maybe small copy carver.

@markbailey: Yes , I also considered them to be put on all sorts of jigs I might think of such as a radiusing jig, things that do not require too much from the router. I bought some perspex blanks just for that purpose

ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 2741
25/05/2021 9:08 pm  

Anyone else had any experience with these ones( or similar)?

@koendb look like trimmer routers, I tend to use one when I need more control, as they’re a really small profile you can control them very easily. Also the base is smaller than a plunge and there have been times they’ve been the only thing small enough. Obviously no good for plunging but great for tidying a rough cut piece with a template on.

As for router tables, buy a very nice one or make your own from birch ply. Cheap ones with bad fences are sooooo dangerous. Use tools to push the pieces through. Personally I’d only use a table again for projects where my fingers are a long way from the cutter, having had a piece ripped out of my hands and shot across the room I’m not keen to try again.

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Boo, Koendb and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1880
25/05/2021 10:27 pm  

@tej

One solution is to fix handles to the template.

If you watch the rest of the video his template system is quite well thought out (not just the handles), though he (and his students) obviously produce quite a lot of the same models, so it's worth investing some time and money into the templates.

Boo, Russ and Tej liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 2741
25/05/2021 10:56 pm  

@jonhodgson I think if i was doing the same thing time and again it’d be worthwhile. I like the level of control that it’s give though.

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Boo and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1880
26/05/2021 12:18 am  

@tej You don't need to copy the whole template system just to use the handles. I think you could probably just screw the handles to an mdf template.

Or, if you were using a bottom template then just screw the handles to a vaguely body sized piece of board and double sided tape it firmly to the body. 

Boo, Russ and Tej liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 9 / 9