🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, Tej, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 17878

Nice use of those off cuts for a new neck @robin. Let us know how the carving goes…

Those dowel holes don’t look like much fun, good luck with that!

Pratice on scrap...

tv1, Tej, Boo and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 10594
Topic starter  

The whisky barrel oak top is glued and thicknessed now. It didn't turn out just how I thought I had planned and it's given me another little challenge. In an earlier post I mentioned that there are dowels in barrel tops that I thought I could avoid. I've managed to avoid all but one. One has landed in the narrow part of the waist and I'm sure to break through into it when I carve the top. It's also going to be visible on the edge. I think I'm going to try to remove it and cut a  plug with the grain in the right direction.

20211020 172026
20211020 174958

mattbeels, Koendb, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 27429

Posted by: @robin

The whisky barrel oak top is glued and thicknessed now. It didn't turn out just how I thought I had planned and it's given me another little challenge. In an earlier post I mentioned that there are dowels in barrel tops that I thought I could avoid. I've managed to avoid all but one. One has landed in the narrow part of the waist and I'm sure to break through into it when I carve the top. It's also going to be visible on the edge. I think I'm going to try to remove it and cut a  plug with the grain in the right direction.

@robin With something like that I would welcome those imperfections, it’s character. It’s looking good. 👍

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I got a delivery from GuitarMaking.co.uk today, thanks @markbailey and Carol. Now I can get on with making the neck. I also got a little plug in earphone amp, now I can practice without disturbing my missus.

20211021 120147

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 6265

@robin

Top marks for using a whisky barrel lid, they’re not the easiest things to work with. Did the shavings have a strong smell of alcohol.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 

Top marks for using a whisky barrel lid, they’re not the easiest things to work with. Did the shavings have a strong smell of alcohol.

Unfortunately I've got zero sense of smell, but my wife says it just smells like wood, which is a bit disappointing, I had hoped it would smell of whisky. Its a bit messy to work with until you get the charred inside face thicknessed down, but nice and clean now.

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've roughed out the neck now, the last twice that I did this I used a handsaw and a chisel, what a difference a bandsaw makes. The narrow headstock design lets me use an 80mm wide blank that fits into my bandsaw. The routing this time has gone well, without any mishaps so far. I'm putting that down to wearing the right apron. I did have a wee mishap with the bandsaw though, I cut a bit deeper than intended just at the transition between headstock and nut. There's still 16.5 mm there, so should be okay. I've made a new headstock template, so hopefully get the tuner holes drilled accurately on the first attempt this time. I'll be making a new longer neck template too.

Just one question @markbailey , I'm using all 24 frets, is the 440mm truss rod suitable for that, or do I need a longer one?

20211025 173148
20211025 172328
20211025 172352
20211025 172754

mattbeels, Tej, Likeakite and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

I'm putting that down to wearing the right apron.

@robin The apron definitely helps. 👍

mattbeels, Tej, tv1 and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Another productive day, picked up a couple of clamps that were advertised locally, I was a bit short of long clamps. Made my new longer neck template and finished routing the neck. I knocked a little chip off the edge of the headstock, I'll fix that easy enough though. I had questioned the length of the truss rod earlier, but it reaches past the step of the heel, so it'll be fine.

20211026 182937
20211026 182719

mattbeels, Tej, Likeakite and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 6436

Clamps are like guitars.. you can never have enough of them. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

Posted by: @koendb

Clamps are like guitars.. you can never have enough of them. 😉 

@koendb True enough. 😜🎸

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

Another productive day, picked up a couple of clamps that were advertised locally, I was a bit short of long clamps. Made my new longer neck template and finished routing the neck. I knocked a little chip off the edge of the headstock, I'll fix that easy enough though. I had questioned the length of the truss rod earlier, but it reaches past the step of the heel, so it'll be fine.

@robin Good job with the neck and a good find with the clamps. I agree with @koendb 

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I don't think I'll ever tire of watching a neck take shape. I do get a bit nervous when it comes to carving the transition from neck to headstock, so I'll leave that for now and start afresh tomorrow. I've made my body template. Because I want this body to be symmetrical, I've made it in two halves, using the first to route the second with. Apart from that, I didn't have a big enough bit of plywood to make it in one piece. 

20211029 155857
20211029 164233
20211029 141437
20211029 173320
20211029 141348

mattbeels, Tej, Koendb and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 20050

Looking good @robin. 👍 

🙏🎶🎸🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

mattbeels, Tej, Koendb and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

@robin Excellent. It’s such a buzz isn’t it? 😁

mattbeels, Tej, Koendb and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 5374

I'm using all 24 frets, is the 440mm truss rod suitable for that, or do I need a longer one?

@robin, I used a 460mm rod for a 24 fret 25.5” scale neck, this was based on the information in Mark’s Guitar Making shop recommending 460 for longer scale if 24 fret guitars (as compared to the shorter one from the course)

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, tv1, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I used a 460mm rod for a 24 fret 25.5” scale neck, this was based on the information in Mark’s Guitar Making shop recommending 460 for longer scale if 24 fret guitars (as compared to the shorter one from the course)

The 440mm truss rod is in now, and it won't be coming out. So thanks @tej for  putting doubt in my mind 🤣 🤣 🤣.  It'll be fine though, it's a 25" scale and the truss rod reaches into the heel.

mattbeels, tv1, Tej and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 5374

@robin sorry Robin, didn’t read the rest of the thread before replying, given the shorter scale I can’t see it being an issue though based on where you said it spans. 

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Carved the volute now, still needs smoothed off a bit. It's quite a bit smaller than my first two builds, but it feels quite comfortable. I've cut a mortise in the body for the neck, next challenge is to cut a matching tenon on the heel.

20211031 184616
20211031 184852
20211031 184726

mattbeels, tv1, Tej and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5