Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 12725
Topic starter  

The tenon on the neck is partly done now. I wasn't sure how I was going to do this, but it turned out to be not as difficult as I had imagined. I think that, like most things, the key part is in the preperation, marking out accurately with a sharp pencil and working carefully to the lines.

20211101 173028
20211101 181552

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

One of my biggest concerns was getting the neck aligned centrally with the body, I needn't have worried, it couldn't be any closer.

20211101 181932

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

The tennon is also a good tight fit into the body.

20211101 174938

ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Luthier
Rep Points: 2741

@robin wow.... looks fantastic.  🙂

mattbeels, tv1, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 23191

Hand carved with a chisel @robin.

I'm well impressed....... even if your wife wasn't. 🤣 

🙂🎶🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 5384

@robin making great progress there! Curious as to why you opted to cut the motrice first and the neck tenon second? Admire that you’ve gone fully manual to do it, I was using templates and the router for the neck pocket and neck taper!!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 31644

Posted by: @robin

The tennon is also a good tight fit into the body.

@robin Excellent work Robin, I am so impressed. 👍🎯💯

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@tej 

Curious as to why you opted to cut the motrice first and the neck tenon second?

I made a template to route the mortise, so that was the easy bit. I couldn't see any way to hold the neck to route a tenon, so I did the easy bit first then chiselled and sanded the neck to fit. I've only fitted the width so far, still length, depth and angle to sort out, then I'll position the pickups and bridge posts depending on where the neck ends up.

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 23191

Will you be able to use the neck angle jig to get the depth and angle on the heel @robin

🎶🎸🙏🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@russ 

Will you be able to use the neck angle jig to get the depth and angle on the heel

Yes, I can use my neck heel angle jig for that part of it.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 7548

@robin

I’m impressed with your neck tenon fit, it looks as tight as a Scotsman’s wallet.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 

I’m impressed with your neck tenon fit, it looks as tight as a Scotsman’s wallet.

Not just as tight as that, you can still prise it open.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

Posted by: @rocknroller912

Not just as tight as that, you can still prise it open.

@robin @rocknroller912 Surely this Scottish stereotype isn’t relevant any more? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 It is funny though, and coming from two Scottish citizens. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo 

Surely this Scottish stereotype isn’t relevant any more?🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿It is funny though, and coming from two Scottish citizens.🤣🤣🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

We know how to laugh at ourselves. You'll have to learn to tighten your purse strings before you're granted your Scottish citizenship.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 7548

@robin

Very well said, being able to make fun of yourself is a pre requisite for residence North of the border and failure to achieve this will mean you still have to buy your own medical prescriptions. I’m from West London by the way so certainly not Scottish.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

We know how to laugh at ourselves. You'll have to learn to tighten your purse strings before you're granted your Scottish citizenship.

@robin I’ve always believed in the importance of laughing at myself, life would be a lot better if everyone did it. That’s what I love about Scotland, there seem to be more people willing to be humorous, warm, inclusive etc and I’m more aligned with that, always have been. My wife will certainly be happier with transition into becoming a Scotsman. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🤣🤣🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Posted by: @rocknroller912

Very well said, being able to make fun of yourself is a pre requisite for residence North of the border and failure to achieve this will mean you still have to buy your own medical prescriptions. I’m from West London by the way so certainly not Scottish.

@rocknroller912 Yeah I agree, everyone should be able to laugh at themselves, I’m sure my wife and I will pass the criteria. We look forward to our prescriptions etc. We are getting very excited about moving because things are starting to happen already, things are finally in motion. We just have to tie up some loose ends and we could be ready to buy a house in Scotland by the Spring next year. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

mattbeels, Koendb, Tej and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Today I was routing the pickup cavities. I wanted locate the cap on the body with two 6mm steel pins located in blind holes. I thought it would be easy, drill holes in the template, transfer the holes to body and cap, neither of the holes aligned the centres of the body and cap. I resorted to measuring and drilling, I plugged and drilled the holes six times before I got it lined up. But now I can remove and replace the cap and get a consistent position during the various stages to follow.

20211105 143724
20211105 181459
20211103 165855

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 22792

Posted by: @boo

My wife will certainly be happier with transition into becoming a Scotsman

Is "Scotsman" an extra option for that operation?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 22792

I wanted locate the cap on the body with two 6mm steel pins located in blind holes

In some past builds, I've just screwed the cap to the body - either in the area whether the pickup cavities were going to be, or outside the line of the body.

That allowed me to remove the cap when necessary for bits of woodworkery (before it had been glued in place!), and then to add a bit more pressure when the cap was glued to the body.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 8