Clear all

Robin's build #003

Page 5 / 8

Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 13025
Topic starter  

Hollowed out the inside of the cap now and cut the body and cap to rough shape. I thought that only one of the dowels that held the whisky barrel top was going to be visible at the outside, but I've uncovered another two that I hadn't seen. I'll deal with that once I've routed the outside shape and carved the top, maybe binding would cover it. But its beginning to look like a guitar.

20211121 163404

tv1, mattbeels, Clinton and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 32074

Posted by: @robin

But its beginning to look like a guitar.

@robin Excellent work sir. I’m glad you are enjoying yourself. 👍🎸

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 7718

@robin

Its shaping up well

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Looking even more like a guitar now. Routed around the body and cap eventually. I don't think I'm compatible with routers, knocked a lump out of the top horn. Then two bearings on my bottom bearing bit disintegrated, I had lost the original one, these two were from a cheap set of bits. Then the spindle lock came loose and got torn off. Luckily, no injuries to me or major damage to the guitar, but I'll definitely be adding binding to the top edge now. So should I route the recess for the binding before I carve the top and still have a flat top for the router base to run on.

20211122 172304

tv1, Clinton, Koendb and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin 

Looks like you have the same luck with routers as me. I think you could route the binding channels before carving but after you’ve routed I think you should mark a line inside the channel to show the limit of where you will carve to, or you may carve below the top level of the binding. I would use a marking gauge using the flat top as reference.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Rocknroller912

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I think you could route the binding channels before carving but after you’ve routed I think you should mark a line inside the channel to show the limit of where you will carve to, or you may carve below the top level of the binding. I would use a marking gauge using the flat top as reference.

Thanks @rocknroller912  that sounds like a good plan, I'll need to have a bit of practice at that I think.

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

So should I route the recess for the binding before I carve the top and still have a flat top for the router base to run on.

@robin I’m not sure with this one as I’ve never done binding. My todo list gets bigger every day. 

tv1, Koendb, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

Just go for it. Making a plan is good but overthinking a job is bad. It’s only a router and marking gauge, but be careful not to get edge tear out. I’m sure Mark has covered this on a video.

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Treated myself to a new router, its about half the weight of the ancient Silverline one that I've been using, should be a lot easier to use hopefully.

20211124 184051

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

I thought you would get a new one.

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

Treated myself to a new router, its about half the weight of the ancient Silverline one that I've been using, should be a lot easier to use hopefully.

@robin Nice one, it’s the one up from my Bosch router. It looks like it has a much better depth control guide than mine and I bigger motor. I like my Bosch, it’s one of the best routers I’ve had so far but I might have to upgrade again when I get settled in Scotland. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 18993

Good job @robin, Bosch is good stuff 👍

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Robin, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've had a first attempt at binding with a strip of maple. I used my soldering iron to heat it, I had it to hot though and burnt the bits that needed tighter bends. Its good enough to let me know that I can do with a little more care and better clamping.

20211128 160505
20211129 133045

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin 

For thin strips steaming an old style kettle on a hob works ok and doesn’t burn, just wear thick gloves. It helps to use a piece of spring steel for sharp bends as it stops the outside edge from cracking.

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 

Thats a good idea , I hadn't thought of steam. I'll maybe move into my garage and do that and not steam up my hut.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've routed the contours on the top now ready for carving into a nice curved shape. This routing is a messy business, the dust extraction port only gets some of it, so I made a temporary frame around my workpiece to catch the rest, it didn't. I also uncovered another couple of dowels that I'll need to make plugs for with the grain going the right way. I'll see how that works out, this one might need to be painted.

20211201 180536
20211201 175613
20211201 174051

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 23811

Hi @robin. I saw this piece of kit at Axminster if you've got another extractor to attach it to. 

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-63mm-flex-form-hose-kit-103337  

🙂🎸🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, Koendb, mattbeels and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hi @russ  I'm relying on my henry hoover for dust extraction which works fine when I'm routing a cavity and the sawdust is quite contained, but routing round an edge it flys everywhere. I've got an Einhell battery powered hoover from my pre mains electricity days, next time I'll use that as well and rig up something like that Axminster attachment that you've shown me, that should help thanks.

ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 3723

I’ve got two Screwfix Titan 1400 Watt hoovers - the do a reasonable job - I’ve got two because there are two areas, one with the sander thicknesser, planer and bandsaw in it and the other with my work bench and spindle sander - when I only had one it was a real pain to have to move it and they are only £70 when full price, think one of them was £50 on an offer.   They have the power take of feature which is good.

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

tv1, Koendb, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@frocesterbill   I like the idea of the power take off, I sometimes forget to switch mine on.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 8