Clear all

Robin's build #003

Page 5 / 5

Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 10594
Topic starter  

Hollowed out the inside of the cap now and cut the body and cap to rough shape. I thought that only one of the dowels that held the whisky barrel top was going to be visible at the outside, but I've uncovered another two that I hadn't seen. I'll deal with that once I've routed the outside shape and carved the top, maybe binding would cover it. But its beginning to look like a guitar.

20211121 163404

mattbeels, Clinton, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 27429

Posted by: @robin

But its beginning to look like a guitar.

@robin Excellent work sir. I’m glad you are enjoying yourself. 👍🎸

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Koendb, Robin and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 6265

@robin

Its shaping up well

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Looking even more like a guitar now. Routed around the body and cap eventually. I don't think I'm compatible with routers, knocked a lump out of the top horn. Then two bearings on my bottom bearing bit disintegrated, I had lost the original one, these two were from a cheap set of bits. Then the spindle lock came loose and got torn off. Luckily, no injuries to me or major damage to the guitar, but I'll definitely be adding binding to the top edge now. So should I route the recess for the binding before I carve the top and still have a flat top for the router base to run on.

20211122 172304

Koendb, Russ, mattbeels and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin 

Looks like you have the same luck with routers as me. I think you could route the binding channels before carving but after you’ve routed I think you should mark a line inside the channel to show the limit of where you will carve to, or you may carve below the top level of the binding. I would use a marking gauge using the flat top as reference.

This post was modified 6 days ago by Rocknroller912

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Koendb, Russ, mattbeels and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I think you could route the binding channels before carving but after you’ve routed I think you should mark a line inside the channel to show the limit of where you will carve to, or you may carve below the top level of the binding. I would use a marking gauge using the flat top as reference.

Thanks @rocknroller912  that sounds like a good plan, I'll need to have a bit of practice at that I think.

Koendb, Russ, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

So should I route the recess for the binding before I carve the top and still have a flat top for the router base to run on.

@robin I’m not sure with this one as I’ve never done binding. My todo list gets bigger every day. 

Koendb, Robin, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

Just go for it. Making a plan is good but overthinking a job is bad. It’s only a router and marking gauge, but be careful not to get edge tear out. I’m sure Mark has covered this on a video.

mattbeels, Koendb, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Treated myself to a new router, its about half the weight of the ancient Silverline one that I've been using, should be a lot easier to use hopefully.

20211124 184051

mattbeels, Koendb, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

I thought you would get a new one.

mattbeels, Robin, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

Treated myself to a new router, its about half the weight of the ancient Silverline one that I've been using, should be a lot easier to use hopefully.

@robin Nice one, it’s the one up from my Bosch router. It looks like it has a much better depth control guide than mine and I bigger motor. I like my Bosch, it’s one of the best routers I’ve had so far but I might have to upgrade again when I get settled in Scotland. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

mattbeels, Robin, Koendb and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 17878

Good job @robin, Bosch is good stuff 👍

Pratice on scrap...

Robin, Russ, Koendb and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote