Clear all

Robin's build #003

Page 6 / 8

Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 12920
Topic starter  

After a wee break away at my caravan watching the rain and walking about in the mud, I'm home again and back to guitar building. I've carved the top to shape now, but not entirely happy with the plug repairs on the dowels that I'd carved into. I was intending to keep the natural wood colour on this one, but I think I'll maybe try a blue stain and make it really dark around the edges where the repairs are. Would it be practical to stain this before I glue it to the body? That way, if it turns out a mess, I can just make another cap now that I know that I can do it.

20211218 164331

tv1, Boo, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 7664

@robin

Looks ok in the photo 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Boo, Koendb, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912  It doesn't show up in the photo, I'll post some photos of the offending bits later

Boo, Koendb and Russ liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

All might not be lost. If you plugged with end grain it will look odd but matching grain can be disguised good enough to have a natural finish.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Robin, Russ, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 

Here's the photos of the pieced in bits, sanded to 120 grit now. The two on the edge I think are ok, but I'm going redo the two on the horns. I've found an offcut that came from just about where I've photo'd it, so it has to be a better match for grain and colour.

20211220 162138
20211220 162159
20211220 162148

tv1, Russ, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin 

The edge ones don’t show up much at all. Patches are about deceiving the eye so round or oval shapes are better than squares and rectangles. To finish the outside bit that shows up you can even take thick shavings with matching grain and clamp them over the patch, so perhaps you could try this on the patches you have already done to save doing the whole thing again. Sand a slight hollow to allow the shaving to bed in although this works best with water based glue. Titebond dries black and might show around the edges. Clear flexible plastic as a clamping caul helps to line the grain up 

tv1, Koendb, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks @rocknroller912 

I like that idea of glueing a shaving over the poor repair. Both these plugs on the horns are on a curve, so I guess I could sand a flat spot and glue a little wafer of matching grain over it. Sanding it back down to the contour should leave an oval shape that might be quite discreet. I'll give it a go.

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

Good luck, get the shaving with matching grain first and make sure you’re happy with it before you alter the body. Top class restorers even paint the grain lines onto plain wood if they can’t get a good match.

tv1, Robin, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I had a go at gluing a shaving onto one of tbe horns. Not exactly a shaving, I couldn't get a decent one. I cut a 0.5mm slice with the bandsaw and sanded the glue side smooth. It worked really well, apart from the dark edges the the titebond left, @Rocknroller912 did warn be about that. It was looking good until I sanded a little too much and can now see edges of my original repair. I'll get some clear setting waterbased glue and try again.

20211221 174658(0)

tv1, Boo, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've tried again ( four more times) to disguise these dowels that I exposed at both horns and got to the point now that I reckon its as good as I'm going to get it. The photo with the pickup sitting in place is my final attempt.My search for a clear setting water based wood glue led me to evo-stick, turns out that it doesn't set clear and I don't think its water based either, maybe it used to be. Once I've stained it blue then I'm hoping the dark edges wont be so obvious.

20220114 155656
20211221 174658
20220120 140819
816Pan rWcS. AC SL1500

Koendb, Boo and Russ liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

I think it looks ok, better than the square patch as the edge looks like natural grain and doesn’t catch the eye as much. It could be mistaken for natural imperfections in the wood which is good. I hope it takes colour ok.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Rocknroller912

tv1, Koendb, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 23657

A good job well done @robin. 👍😁 

🎶🎸🙏🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, Koendb, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 

The glue claims to take a stain, I'll find out how well on a test piece I've glued up when my bottle of stain arrives.

tv1, Rocknroller912, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 31930

@robin I think it looks great. Onwards and upwards. ✊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo   @russ

Thanks for the encouragement.

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 4337

If it makes you feel better @robin , my neck joint angle is literally a mil off. I think that is what drives us to build, to learn from mistakes and do it once more just so we do not repeat those mistakes. Gonna have to make a new neck on this. Just like @boo said. Onwards and Upwards. Keep on! 

Koendb, Robin, tv1 and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

Posted by: @clinton

my neck joint angle is literally a mil off. I think that is what drives us to build, to learn from mistakes and do it once more just so we do not repeat those mistakes. Gonna have to make a new neck on this.

@clinton It’s weird isn’t it that we measure everything several times before cutting any wood, just to make sure and it can still be wrong. And, when we are talking about something like neck alignment etc, 1mm is a lot. We have to accept these mistakes though, no matter how much work we have put into it, and remake or fix whatever the problem is. Yes they can be big setbacks like making a new neck all over again, but it makes us stronger, more clued up and ultimately better guitar makers/instrument makers. 

I completely messed up a paint job the other week. I spent a lot of time masking it up but due to a few mistakes and misfortunes, I ended up wiping the whole lot off. I’ll find some pictures. 

Russ, Koendb, Robin and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

I’ll upload my pictures to one of my topic pages so not to piggy back off Robin’s topic here. 

Pictures of my paint mistakes here: https://guitarmaking.co.uk/community/finishing/🍭🍬fun-with-candy🍬🍭/paged/2/#post-19404

Russ, Koendb, Robin and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 22793

Posted by: @robin

After a wee break away at my caravan watching the rain and walking about in the mud,

Ahhhh, those Scottish summers

😆

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Russ, Koendb and Robin liked
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 22793

Posted by: @rocknroller912

@robin

Looks ok in the photo 

And I agree.  If you leave the dowels visible, but not obvious, it becomes a bit of a talking point and provenance for the guitar’s origins.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Russ, Koendb and Robin liked
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 8