Page 7 / 8

Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 12759
Topic starter  

@clinton 

Gonna have to make a new neck on this

Thanks for sharing that Clinton and trying to make me feel better, sorry to see that you're having problems. I'm really not feeling bad about my problems, they’re just cosmetic, I'm actually enjoying the challenge to fix them. Is there really nothing you can do to shim that neck?

tv1, Clinton, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 7552

@clinton

I think that would shim with some contrasting wood, ebony perhaps, then some hand fitting.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Clinton, Robin, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 4329

@rocknroller912 actually yes. A 0.5 mil shim at the front of the heel would flush the joint.

tv1, Russ, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I eventually got the wiring sorted out after a few attemps. It was only working intermittently and picking up a lot of interference. There was more than one fault. Two of the pots were faulty and only worked if I wiggled the terminals, I'm wondering if I had my soldering iron too hot and melted or burnt something. The insulation on a wire from one of the pickups was cut where emerged from its surrounding earth shield and was shorting now and then. A lot of the interference hum dissappeared when I switched off my soldering iron. I'll need to unsolder the neck pickup before I can fit in all in through the bridge pickup cavity when the time comes. I'll also need to remember to add an earth wire to the bridge post.

20220214 182857

Boo, Koendb and Russ liked
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8858

@robin nice work!

While you can very well damage pots with overheating them, It is highly unlikely that you overheated 2 pots. I had it happen only once or maybe twice. If you are getting intermittent contact when you touch or wiggle the lugs, I would first suspect the solder joint. Perhaps reflow the solder by just touching it with the hot iron? How hot do you set your iron, and what tip are you using on that iron?.

Posted by: @robin

A lot of the interference hum dissappeared when I switched off my soldering iron.

Ah yes. That is a major source for hum. That and those fluorescent lights
interference will be a lot less if the electronics are encased too, but when you told us you had some hum issues, I didn't realize it was so bad ( because the solder iron gives a LOT of interference. ) I would not be too concerned about hum , just make sure you have a decent sound and tackle possible noise issues at the moment you are dry testing closing the box.

Russ, Robin and Boo liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 31690

A lot of the interference hum dissappeared when I switched off my soldering iron.

@robin It’s all looking good Robin, nice work. 

“The hum” happened to me a few years back and I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. In the end I gave up and turned off my soldering iron, then the humming stopped. 😮 

I then realised it was interference from the damn soldering iron. 😡🤬 

Oh well, I know now. 😂

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Boo

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Koendb and Russ liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@koendb 

If you are getting intermittent contact when you touch or wiggle the lugs, I would first suspect the solder joint. Perhaps reflow the solder by just touching it with the hot iron? How hot do you set your iron, and what tip are you using on that iron?.

I would not be too concerned about hum , just make sure you have a decent sound and tackle possible noise issues at the moment you are dry testing closing the box.

When I wiggled the lugs, the lugs were moving on the pot, I had soldered them several times, so I think it was physical damage rather than a poor solder joint. I don't know what temperature the iron was, it only has a low/high dial, I turned it down a bit so it was just hot enough to melt the solder. It had a pointed tip, but  I've filed a small angled flat on it to get a better contact.

The noise wasn't all from the soldering iron. Once I changed these two pots and sorted the wiring, the hum is down to what I think is a normal level.

@boo   The noise from the soldering iron was a surprise to me too, every day is a school day.

Koendb, Boo and Russ liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Now that the electrics are working, I thought I'd try removing them through the pickup cavity. It was easy enough, the real trick will be to put it all back in when the cap is glued to the body.

Boo, Koendb and Russ liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

the real trick will be to put it all back in when the cap is glued to the body.

@robin Yep, getting it all back in again will be very tricky indeed. I’ve never made anything like that, are there any special tools available to help the installation of the electrics? 

Koendb, Russ and Robin liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo 

are there any special tools available to help the installation of the electrics? 

20220216 114101

Russ and Boo liked
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier

@robin 😂😂😂😂 Fair enough. 😂😂😂😂👍 

I was thinking that StewMac would have a tool that costs the earth. 😂

Koendb, Russ and Robin liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo  The plan is to tie a separate piece of string to each component, label them and feed the strings through the holes without them getting tangled or crossed. And then simply pull everything into place, how hard can it be.

Koendb, Boo and Russ liked
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Customer
Luthier

@robin yes, gift wrapping curling ribbons are the best. Skinny and tough. You tug they tighten and as they reach the hole it snaps off easy. I am a hollowbody builder and an electronics installer on acoustics this by far is the easiest and most effective. I have tried many and this is my go to. Accesible, inexpensive and works really well. Try it. It will make your life so much easier.

Koendb, Boo, Robin and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Customer
Luthier

Easy peasy

Koendb, Boo, Robin and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
dirtbike
(@dirtbike)
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 66

I've also heard of using small diameter rubber tubing like the washer tube thats used on a car, this would push on top of the control knobs.

Awesome build, really inspiring!

Koendb, Russ, Clinton and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@clinton 

, gift wrapping curling ribbons are the best. Skinny and tough. You tug they tighten and as they reach the hole it snaps off easy

Thanks for the demonstation Clinton, that looks like the way to go, I'll give that a try.

Koendb, Russ and Boo liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@dirtbike 

I've also heard of using small diameter rubber tubing like the washer tube thats used on a car, this would push on top of the control knobs.

Yes, I've read about that method too, its another option.

ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Customer
Luthier

@robin quick note. If you have to help direct the path,  tie the curling ribbon with a dab of super glue if need be unto a guitar string and lead it through the channel to get it to where you want it to go before tying it up to the pot, jack or switch.

Koendb, Russ, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@clinton 

If you have to help direct the path,  tie the curling ribbon with a dab of super glue if need be unto a guitar string and lead it through the channel to get it to where you want it to go before tying it up to the pot, jack or switch

Thanks Clinton, thats another good tip.

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thats the "f" holes done now, although they're not the slightest bit f shaped. I think I'll lay this aside now and do some work on the neck, get the fretwires in and an oak veneer on the headstock to match the body.

20220218 174307

Clinton, Koendb, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 8