Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bolt on Bass

5 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter

I want to plan a Bass build but never done one before. 

There are two things I want to do, build a bass and build a left handed bass.

I am assuming that making a bass isn’t all that different to building a guitar but how difficult is it to make everything the other way round? (Left handed)

I should think it’s easier to make my mate a left handed bass than to get him to learn how to play the right way around! (I mean right handed, of course!) ?

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

5 Answers

Hey John... in the absence of any other replies here's my tuppence worth... 

I ventured into the bolt-on bass territory after my first build with no problems. I ordered a (34" scale) fingerboard and (longer) truss rod from Mark and got a longer bit of lining paper and drew it out just the same as a regular guitar. I don't know about more than 4 strings. I believe I consulted Mark re the slightly different intonation adjustment offsets.

I have no experience with building a left-hander.

You can use the Design course to make the working drawing - it is exactly the same process.

Again I recommend choosing your parts first so you can use them to help make your drawing.

It is no more difficult making a left handed guitar using my methods - usually if the 'pattern' is 'handed' you can just turn it over!

for e.g.

Take a right handed body shape or headstock pattern - turn it over - it's now left handed...

Go for it - I'm always here to help! If you like you can upload a pic of your design here and I'll check it out for you...

Measure twice, cut once...

Topic starter

That’s great! Thanks Herb and Mark, you’ve given me some good info there, enough to get started. I’ll start designing. 

Much appreciated. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Great for the suggestions ... thank you for sharing this..

Peter Virdee

Great for the suggestions ... thank you for sharing this..

Share: