Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Jozef Behr | Best Guitar Making Tips For Beginners.

1 Posts
1 Users
2 Likes
Jozef Behr
(@jozefbehr)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 167
Topic starter  

Hello Folks Myself Jozef Clifford Behr, I Want To Share Some Tips. Guitar making are a great resource for beginners, because they condense a lot of knowledge into bite size pieces. Tips encourage the learning process. They also help get new guitar makers on the right track sooner. Here are my favorite guitar making tips to help beginners become successful.

How to Make an Acoustic Guitar

These are great tips for beginner guitar makers and guitar players whether or not you have any existing woodworking experience. There are so many things to learn about guitar making from the tonal qualities of popular wood types, different tone wood, and exotic hardwoods to the playability of a perfect handmade instrument.

I’ll show you a lot of great tips and tricks in this post, so enjoy.

Tip 1 – Choose a Plan For Your Acoustic Guitar

Decide on a plan, and stick to it. If you read several books on guitar making, choose one to follow for the actual build. This way, there is no miscommunication between texts.

Measurements and dimensions will be specific to the guitar being made, and it will result in a guitar that goes together well.

If you do deviate from the plan, do so in safe areas like inlays or binding colors. These are safer areas to manipulate.

Anything decorative or inlaid is fairly safe to alter, and should have almost zero effect on the build. Keep the big ideas in place, and add flair in safer places.

Tip 2 – Aim For a Guitar Build that You Can Accomplish

It’s better to successfully build a simple guitar. If you shoot for the moon and miss, you may have a gigantic mess on your hands. Plan for a simple design, using proven building methods.

This ensures that you will have a guitar at the end of the project. Especially if you are new to inlay work, or woodworking in general, picking out a very elaborate design will be more frustrating than it is worth..

Tip 3 – Check Your Wood Species Choice

If you are going to use a different species, do some homework. Some woods are gorgeous, but not for guitar making. Electrics are more forgiving than acoustics, but it pays to know.

Look online and see if there are guitars made from the wood already. Usually, this is a good indicator.

Also, look up the species and review the properties. Generally, woods with the same density, pliability, and hardness will work about as well as traditionally used woods.

All of these factors can be used to determine if the wood is suitable for making a guitar.

Tip 4 – Find a Space Where You Can Build

Have a dedicated space in the house or garage for your build. Keep the area clutter free, and clean up after each session. If you have everything spread out and disorganized, the build will take longer and it will be more stressful. Even a very small space, when well organized, can be used to make an excellent guitar.

There was an article I read about a guy that build an acoustic guitar on his dinner table.

He hauled out everything he needed each time he started, and cleaned up and put away everything each night. This level of discipline is amazing, but it allowed him to craft an excellent build in very confined conditions.

Tip 5 – Look For Easy Inlay Ideas

Inlays are expected on a handmade guitar. Thankfully, they are not as difficult as they are made out to be. There is a tool called a router inlay kit that I wrote about here, and it makes simple inlay patterns easy to execute.

The tool works off a template that you will have to make. It cuts the cavity, and then cuts a perfectly fitted inlay piece.

This can be used to create headstock and fretboard inlays, and it’s inexpensive. The tool makes an expert out of anyone, and leaves behind a very professional look to the inlays. You won’t be able to make very complex or tiny shapes, but it is versatile enough for most inlay work.

Thank You!

Jozef Behr

Robin and Russ reacted
Share: