92 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

Morning, to make the shaft of my makeshift spindle sander long enough I was planning to tap a thread into a steel tube with a 10mm internal diameter and screw this onto the shaft so that the spindle is a long enough to use. Has anyone a good idea for clamping said tube hard enough to tap the thread inside of it without distorting the tube?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 5 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Has anyone a good idea for clamping said tube hard enough to tap the thread inside of it without distorting the tube?

@tej Not sure but have you got a wooden dowel you can put inside so it will enable you to clamp it a bit better? 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Russ, Tej and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo yeah that might help, don’t have any the right size but can turn some the right size. Other thoughts were sacrificing  the end where it’s clamped, using oil for cutting or getting thicker walled tubing.

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

You could drill a hole into a rectangular piece of wood, then cut it through the length to give two pieces each with a semi circle. Use this as a clamping guide to hold the tube in a vice. With a bit of adjustment everything should line up so the there is enough holding pressure without distorting the tube.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, Tej, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 sounds like a good plan too, I’ve got to get some more tube anyway now as the piece I was using went astray!

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Cutting a perfect thread by hand that will be perpendicular enough to run as a spindle moulder will be hard. It’s possible to set up on a lathe and wind in by hand if you have the correct lathe attachments. I will try and set some thing up and post a photo if you’re not sure.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, Boo, Tej and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 I only have tiny hobby wood lathe, no way it would have the torque needed to cut thread in steel. I’d not really considered this. So, plan B, i could use a softer metal, brass or aluminium and the very act of screwing it even if not 100 accurate onto the steel thread of the shaft it might be forced straight. It’s not a nice option mind. 
Another option could be to drill into a hardwood cylinder, screw that on and then using some sandpaper held statically to get that perfectly round. 
Hmmm

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Setting it up on a lathe is only to get things straight an level, the motor isn’t used. If you can put the tube in one end and the thread tap in a drill chuck at the other then turn the Chuck by hand and the tap winds itself in. Advance the tail stock manually as you go along. Do you know the thread that needs to be cut eg 10 mm x 1.5 mm.

An easier way might be to drill a hole in a piece of hard wood, turn it round on the lathe and set in two ordinary threaded nuts one at each end with araldite glue. I’ve made spreader devices like this and a threaded rod goes all the way through, so it would go on a spindle.

mattbeels, Boo, Tej and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 Firstly, you need to understand that what you mean by lathe is likely more capable than what I own, it’s one of these:

0B17922A 2BD7 452B AC65 34C7189BDEAD

so there is no means to clamp anything into it.

Thank you for all your suggestions, given me a lot of things to experiment with!

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@tej

Has anyone a good idea for clamping said tube hard enough to tap the thread inside of it without distorting the tube?

Drill a hole across the diameter of the tube. Drill a tube size hole in a block of wood and pin the tube to stop it from turning.

mattbeels, Tej, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

I’m getting the picture now. When people talk about hobby lathe it’s usually something quite big but just not very good quality. If there are any engineering firms near you that might be the best choice to cut a thread.

Russ, mattbeels, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

When people talk about hobby lathe it’s usually something quite big but just not very good quality.

@rocknroller912 Where as this is quite small and also not very good quality 🤔 To be fair used for its intended purpose it it great though. Would love a proper engineering lathe but it’s just not something I “need” or would use often enough.

@robin Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

If you’re still thinking about making this I had another idea. A threaded mechanism could unwind depending on the direction of rotation, so following on from Robin’s idea of drilling a hole and using a pin to hold the tube what about the following. 
Drill a hole in the spindle tube and file a flat on the motor spindle and use a grub screw to locate it. 

mattbeels, Russ, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

If you’re still thinking about making this I had another idea.

@rocknroller912 still thinking about it but thinking of using a pulley instead so that I can just use a shaft I know is true. Given the blanks are to arrive any day now I’m likely to not care about this for some time though, unless I’m waiting for something to dry 🙂 Thanks for the suggestion.

mattbeels, Russ, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Pulley would be a better idea for safety

mattbeels, Russ, Tej and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: