Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Guitar build #2. Smaller size.  

RSS

Topic starter

I've begun the drawing phase of guitar #2. It is going to be a smaller size guitar with a 12th fret neck joint... and of course I want it to be a little more challenging so I'm thinking on putting an arm bevel on it. I just finished the drawing of the soundboard bracing and would love your opinion.

Drawing2

4 Answers

Hi Bpower, I love the small bodied parlour guitar but with such a small body do you really need an arm bevel? How about a bevelled cut away instead to give access to a couple of higher frets? There’s little point adding complexity without there being a functional gain....unless you’re just a workshop masochist that is!🤣😂

I have thought about a cut away bevel but I know the person that will be playing this will never play up the neck. I have been tossing the arm bevel around for a bit. I know I don't necessarily need to do the bevel but, to be honest, I love the thought of adding an element not normally seen. I love the challenge. It's not the complexity that worries me. But.... saying that.... I haven't cut any wood yet so I may change my mind.

@darrenking That's rather neat, is it one of yours?

No, not yet! I just googled an image.

@darrenking

Jacob of Canna guitars does something similar, but he actually puts a soundhole there. It's quite a clever workaround of the fact that the hemprock material he uses for the back bowl of the guitar (think Ovation if you haven't seen Canna) doesn't do concave sections well (it shrinks massively as it dries so it tends to pull itself taught over indentations in the mould).

He has a second one in the opposite side facing the player.