Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wilkinson GTB wrapover - drilling post holes.

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am at the business end of drilling the post holes for this bridge. The course info seems to indicate 11mm holes but mine is definitely going to require 12mm. I know specs change but the question is - will this affect the hole placement instruction of  - scale length plus 1/4 inch and draw a straight line? On the face of it it looks like the take off points are going to position on the intonation line, but i am doubting myself - so if anyone has recently fitted this bridge with 12mm posts, did it work out as expected? Asking for a friend who does not want to do this job twice!

Brian Walker Brian Walker 19/08/2023 10:18 am

@stephen-hayes Shouldn’t make any difference, the bridge sits on a post, which is 8mm I believe, and has the same centre as the post and post hole. So, as long as the holes are marked correctly it will be OK. What I wasn’t clear on was the 1/4 inch back from the scale line but I’ve just watched the video again and that would appear to be right and the intonation line is just for reference rather than fitting the bridge at an angle. In any event, the bridge probably has enough adjustment to fine tune it (pun intended!!)
Happy Drilling.
Anyway, if your friend makes a mess of it it’s his problem👍🤣🤣🤣🎸

Stephen Hayes Topic starter 19/08/2023 10:29 am

Thanks Brian. I let things percolate overnight and have come to the same conclusion. I have a terrible habit of overthinking what should be blindingly obvious - and it still has not sopped me making errors!!!

Brian Walker Brian Walker 19/08/2023 5:18 pm
This post was modified 8 months ago by Brian Walker

@stephen-hayes Just as a matter of interest, I measured the dimensions of the bridge posts I have: Ribbed part 12.25 diameter Non ribbed part 11.5mm Post that the bridge sits on 7.6mm. I imagine these are made to fairly fine tolerances.👍😃

I’m with you 100 % on the overthinking thing and, yeah, I still make mistakes but I suppose that if I didn’t think things through and then made mistakes, I’d feel even worse!!🤣🤣👍

1 Answer

Without knowing anything about the instructions you are using, I would say that if measurements are to the centerline of the hole, the size of the hole will not make a difference re scale length.

Happy to be corrected by those with more knowledge.

Stephen Hayes Topic starter 19/08/2023 10:22 am

@peter-c-f Thanks for that. I agree and upon closer inspection, even if the hole size has increased, the screw in part of the stud is still unaltered. Therefore if the posts holes are centred correctly the relative position of the bridge will not be altered in any way. Trotting off to the shed of dreams to drill!

Share: