Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Decisions...

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have a few options on wood to use for the first build. I would like to build at least two guitars with the same body shape and set neck (a design somewhere between the Bandsman and Ibanez Artist). The first will be a solid body with no separate top or veneer. Just rounded edges all around the body. For the second body I would like to use a walnut veneer on top and binding, at least if the first build comes out decent. Probably oil finish all over.

I currently have a set of Bosse Cedar blanks and two sets of european ash blanks for bodies.

Now, I assume the best choise would be to use the Bosse Cedar for the first guitar? It should look decent with oil on it and is probably a bit easier to sand and prepare?

For the second one I would use european ash with the veneer on top. Does this make sense?

I already made the first mistakes when ordering the neck blanks a few weeks ago. First I ordered a Bosse Cedar neck blank, which already has a 9 degree scarf joint pre-cut (but not glued yet). This one is too thin for a set neck, unless I glue on a separate bit under it, for the heel. Don't know if that will be strong enough. It would probably be visible in any case.

I also have a couple of thicker Bosse Cedar blanks (40mm) that might be thick enough, don't know yet. Maybe they can be glued together and allow for two set necks out of the chunk, if I'm careful.

I wish I had found this site before ordering them.Β  😀Β 

1 Answer

Where exactly is the neck too thin. Do you mean where it joins the body or along it’s whole length.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

swepri Topic starter 10/01/2022 8:41 pm

@rocknroller912

Where the neck meets the body. It is thick enough in the other areas. Would the strength be compromised if an extra bit is glued on the heel?

On the other hand, just checked the dimensions on my bigger blanks. If I can match the grain directions good enough, I can glue the two thicker blanks together and get two set necks out of it. Will check again tomorrow, in better light.

If so, I can use the thinner scarf jointed one for some kind of bolt-on thingy in a future design.

Rocknroller912 Rocknroller912 10/01/2022 10:31 pm

Adding an extra bit to the heel is fine as far as I know, if you can make a good job of the join. Most acoustic guitars have the heel built up in this way to save wasting wood.
Gluing two blanks together is usually done with the pieces side by side not top and bottom, so it might be a good idea to post a photo of what you are proposing and get some opinions before starting work.

swepri Topic starter 12/01/2022 1:24 pm

@rocknroller912 Side by side, so the joint would be on the centerline. That will allow for two necks with enough thickness. Might be a little tight with the headstock width, but I don't like too bulky headstocks anyway. Hardly an issue to fix if needed.

Share: