Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Making a mockup of your design

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Another benefit of making a drawing first:

I’ve taken to printing out my design at actual size*, sticking it onto corrugated cardboard and then cutting it out. Then I can see how it looks and (to some extent) feels compared to my other guitars. For a while it just sat on a chair and looked at me every time I walked in the room.

As a result I now know that I’ve ended up designing the body smaller than I really want. Result!

But that’s just two dimensions. Anyone got any suggestions on mocking up sides? Cardboard won’t work because it’ll just fold. Maybe stick back and front together with a spacer block and then wrap with duct tape?

Any good suggestions on how to build a quick and dirty fake guitar?

fake guitar lounging on chair

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

jamesbisset Topic starter 24/07/2020 11:48 pm

*Knew I’d forget. In a previous job, I had a colleague who printed out a bunch of stickers with the words ‘Actual Size’ and took great delight in sticking them to things. From Mars bars to lamp-posts to computer monitors and etc.. Endless fun.

4 Answers

A 2d mockup is enough for me - any more dimensions and it gets complicated so might as well be working the guitar. If you are concerned with the body thickness it might be easier to just try some existing guitars and decide what you like from there...

Measure twice, cut once...

Hi James, Was your colleague Known as Graham or Ted or PK? ?

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Topic starter

Sorry, didn’t see this because I’ve been busy building (what’s turned out to be a very uncomfortable) high stool for my standing desk.

Nope, he’s Stef - graphic designer in Manchester.

Topic starter

Meanwhile, the ƒ hole test.

IMG 7427

Share: