Maple faux binding
 
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Maple faux binding

5 Posts
3 Users
22 Reactions
197 Views
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 471
Joined: 1 year ago
Posts: 116
Topic starter  

Hey folks, 

I'm thinking of giving faux binding a do on a current build. 

I've done a bit of research and I'm looking for any advice from those with experience.

My plan is to

  • sand body up to 320. Leaving the top edge sharp.
  • Use shellac sanding sealer to seal sides of the cap (sycamore in this case) and then tape the rest of the sides for belt and braces.
  • Stain the top using spirit stains (I'm using the blood of ghosts😉)
  • Once dry, sand a chamfer around the cap edge (revealing the unsustained cap) and the sides.

I'm going to do a test on some scrap, but as I'm an idiot any experience welcome!

Cheers

Dan


   
Boo, tv1, swepri and 3 people reacted
Quote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28885
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 2504
 

@liebe

Go for it Dan and let us know how you get on. You can be the guinea pig. 😁 

🙏🎶🙂🎸

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️


   
Boo, tv1, swepri and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 471
Joined: 1 year ago
Posts: 116
Topic starter  

Cheers @russ 😅

I think it was planned as part of the fabled finishing course Mark was working on.

Don't think I'll be able to provide mark's level of detail and if you don't hear anything, I've likely cocked it up.


   
Boo, tv1, swepri and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 28066
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 3037
 

Posted by: @liebe

  • Stain the top using spirit stains (I'm using the blood of ghosts😉)
  • Once dry, sand a chamfer around the cap edge (revealing the unsustained cap) and the sides.

That was pretty much how I did mine, and it worked fine.

I used a roundover cutter rather than sanding a chamfer (using the router allowed me to make a wonderful mistake, that's another story) and then applied the final coats of finish.

This is it pre-finish;

image

And quick photo of it post-finish;

20240512 101753

 

How's yours looking @liebe?

This post was modified 2 months ago by tv1

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk


   
Russ, Robin and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 471
Joined: 1 year ago
Posts: 116
Topic starter  

Hey @tv101,

Well, it's a bit of a long story, but I'll keep it short as I've been meaning to pop a progress post up, but keep making progress and not taking any photos 🤦🏻

Anyway, I'm currently testing myself by building three guitars at the same time. Same design and all with a figured sycamore top, just one in limba, one in khaya and one in sapelle.

I've also decided to finish these myself using z-poxy for grain filling and brush on melamine as the finish. So I've been doing lots of testing. 

I've just got to the point of gluing the neck and decided to strain and seal/grain fill the tops beforehand.

So, I've learnt that z-poxy doesn't play nicely with spirit stains and so used water based. 

I'm not aiming for as broad a binding margin as yours (looks fantastic, by the way!) but my process is working and I'm pleased so far.

No photos of the binding (will post when I remember to take a photo), but here's a couple of the tops after the application of z-poxy and before sanding flat.

PXL 20240510 072832483.MP
PXL 20240510 074503001.MP
PXL 20240512 165147803.MP

 Cheers!


   
Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: