Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842
Topic starter  

Has anyone ever had a guitar with a painted fretboard?Β 

I haven't but I do now. A friend of mine gave me an acoustic guitar that has seen better days and started to clean it up. The fretboard was full of gunk and detritus. I tried all the usual ways of cleaning but I soon realised that the fretboard had been painted black. I've decided to carry on scraping it all back to the original wood, I think it's quite nice.

What was going to be a simple cleaning job, fret polish and restring, has turned into something much bigger. This is where we all need to be careful if we are working on other peoples' guitars. I'm glad this is my guitar and not a customer's.

Anyway, it's an experience and I think it will look better when I'm finished.Β 

IMG 20240209 154800
IMG 20240209 154739
IMG 20240209 162334
IMG 20240209 162257
IMG 20240209 155851
IMG 20240209 162311
IMG 20240209 161110
IMG 20240209 162350
IMG 20240209 155834

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

swepri, Russ and Robin reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@boo

I've got a Stagg dreadnaught acoustic with a black painted fretboard. I really don't like it, it lives on top of the wardrobe. I might take it to a charity shop, or take the tuners off and bin it.

swepri, Russ and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin If you don't want it, I'll have it.

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

@booΒ 

You're welcome to it, I'll take it up to Castle Sween with me on my next visit and we'll arrange a meeting sometime.

swepri, Russ and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin Yeah ok, that sounds good.Β 

The one I have here and the one you are passing on to me, they will just be campfire guitars. If they don’t play well around the campfire then I can throw them on the campfire. 🔥 😆

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

That fretboard looks like it will come up nicely @boo. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.Β 

🎸🙂🎶🙏

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

swepri, Boo and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Well, it turns out that what started out as a few cosmetic fixes needed to get this thing up and running, has snowballed into much more.

First I ended up stripping the paint off the fretboard and polished the frets. Strung it up and tested the playability, it seemed fine but with a bit of intonation trouble. Then I noticed the action kept getting higher as I was constantly tuning it. Then I saw why. 😂

It turns out that the bridge is coming unstuck. 😂

I don't have any of those fancy long reach acoustic guitar clamps for the bridge. Are there any other solutions or do I have to buy some?

Should I take the bridge off completely and clean up the body and underside of the bridge before regluing or just chuck a load of glue underneath and clamp it, hope for the best?Β 

I think I know the answer. 😂

Β 

Has anyone used one of these clamps before? Would this be ok for this purpose? It’s what it’s made for after all. Don’t see why not.Β 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186202572039

Β 

IMG 20240214 114152
IMG 20240214 114204
IMG 20240214 114214
IMG 20240214 114317

This post was modified 2 months ago by Boo

Russ, Robin and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

@booΒ 

I think I know the answer

Yes, you know the answer, take off and do it properly. I looked at that bridge clamp before I glued mine on, it would be cheaper than buying three long clamps. But, when you build an acousticΒ  (and you know that you can't resist) you'll need these long clamps anyway. On that metal clamp, looks like the two inner screws come up through theΒ  e string holes to clamp the middle part of the bridge and the two outer screws clamp down in the wings. Probably easier to set up than three bulky wooden clamps, to be honest, I struggled getting these three clamps in there.

20240212 125915

Β 

Russ, swepri and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin Yeah, I think you are right on all accounts there. I think the little metal clamp will do me for now but WHEN I get around to a proper acoustic build, I will definitely invest in the long reach clamps.Β 
Thanks for the advice.

Cheers. 👍

Russ, swepri and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Posted by: @boo

Has anyone used one of these clamps before? Would this be ok for this purpose? It’s what it’s made for after all. Don’t see why not.Β 

> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186202572039

Β 

Hi @boo. I haven't used this clamp but I've seen someone else use it and it seemed perfect for the job. It's better than using any other clamping technique, I think.Β 

🙂🎶🎸🙏

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

Boo, swepri and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

Hi @booΒ 

I've got that acoustic here at the caravan now if you still want it, I'm only here for a few days, I suspect by the time you see this post I'll be away again. Drop me an email, my email address hasn't changed. I'll likely not be back here until easter.

Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: