26 Likes
mikeyrjiom
(@mikeyrjiom)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 401
Topic starter  

Hi Mark

I've eventually put this on the forums, completely forgot in my blind panic ? 

I have been gloss spraying my two Lockdown projects using ToneTech Nitro clear Gloss. I'm really pleased with the set neck project and all was great with the acoustic until I had just wet sanded back both with 600 grit.

Left this about 2-3 hours then put on two thin coats of lacquer. As you can see in the acoustic soundboard pic only one side went "weird" and I have no idea why.

Is this a "start again" moment ?

IMG 2646
IMG 2649
IMG 2655

Cheers Mark & Stay safe

Trying to make a living out of a hobby doesn't work 🙂

Boo, Deej, Boo and 1 people reacted
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Its cool Mike - I answered this one by email - I will find it later and copy paste it here - easy fix! Panic over 🙂

Measure twice, cut once...

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
mikeyrjiom
(@mikeyrjiom)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Hi Mark  Thanks for the email reply. Yes panic over. After I tried sanding back and spraying it again I got the same result. When I tried again with the sand back (600 wet/dry) and respray and found the problem, ME. I was trying to put too many layers down in one go. So I just sprayed on two thin coats, didn't go for the "wet look" and hey presto no bloomimg. I've just picked up an Earlex HVLP Sprayport system so will get Bill to send over some lacquer and thinners and give that a go. Never liked spray cans but a good stop gap. Burnished (Rothko & Frost) the set neck and used some Farecla wax polish I used when spraying cars. End result not too bad for first solo build. Couldn't of done this without your courses ?

IMG 2684

Boo, Russ, mark bailey and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

Looks stunning!

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
mikeyrjiom
(@mikeyrjiom)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Thanks Bill. I'm leaving the acoustic for a little longer before I buff / polish that.

May even do a few more coats of lacquer with the HVLP once I've got the lacquer and thinners from Tonetech.

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

What model of the Earlex HVLP did you go for Mike?

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Glad to Help!!

Posted by: @mikeyrjiom

Hi Mark

I've eventually put this on the forums, completely forgot in my blind panic ? 

I have been gloss spraying my two Lockdown projects using ToneTech Nitro clear Gloss. I'm really pleased with the set neck project and all was great with the acoustic until I had just wet sanded back both with 600 grit.

Left this about 2-3 hours then put on two thin coats of lacquer. As you can see in the acoustic soundboard pic only one side went "weird" and I have no idea why.

Is this a "start again" moment ?

IMG 2646
IMG 2649
IMG 2655

Cheers Mark & Stay safe

Here is the fix I mentioned before...taken from email:

Hey Mike - it looks like 'blooming' - the finish has 'bloomed'

it has gone milky due to moisture trapped in the finish
caused by spraying when tooo much moisture in the air

easy to fix:

just wait until when conditions are ideal then spray another coat  (on a nice sunny day)

that should  do it ?

Boo, Russ, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Posted by: @mikeyrjiom

Hi Mark  Thanks for the email reply. Yes panic over. After I tried sanding back and spraying it again I got the same result. When I tried again with the sand back (600 wet/dry) and respray and found the problem, ME. I was trying to put too many layers down in one go. So I just sprayed on two thin coats, didn't go for the "wet look" and hey presto no bloomimg. I've just picked up an Earlex HVLP Sprayport system so will get Bill to send over some lacquer and thinners and give that a go. Never liked spray cans but a good stop gap. Burnished (Rothko & Frost) the set neck and used some Farecla wax polish I used when spraying cars. End result not too bad for first solo build. Couldn't of done this without your courses ?

IMG 2684

Yes - The 'Blooming I mentioned earlier is made worse if the coats are thicker - more thinner coats are always better than a few thick ones...THANKS for sharing your adventure with the rest of us!!

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
mikeyrjiom
(@mikeyrjiom)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@frocesterbill Hi Bill. I found this one on eBay it's a 6002 sprayport actually brand new with a gravity feed pro 8 spraygun. 6003 is the latest one but only available in the USA and a lot more ££'s than I got this for. Not sure I need 3 turbines 2 should suffice.  

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: