100 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

Hi, so having built the guitar I didn’t check both pickups before screwing everything down and stringing up etc. Annoyingly the neck pickup is really low output, it’s not as hot as the bridge one anyway but the drop in volume between the too is far too significant. So if anyone can suggest a sound approach to diagnosing what’s going on please shout!?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16784

Annoyingly the neck pickup is really low output, it’s not as hot as the bridge one anyway but the drop in volume between the too is far too significant. So if anyone can suggest a sound approach to diagnosing what’s going on please shout!?

Sounds very similar to the problem I had @tej . My volume only increased when the pot was near the end of its travel, and the tone pot made no difference at all. I'm sure some was earthing on the shielding paint, but not as a dead short circuit, maybe the shielding paint was acting as a big resistor.  Anyway, I suggest that you do some experimenting. Connect your bridge puckup directly to the jack socket, by passing any pots and switches and check what sound you get through your amp. If its a good result, then try the same with the neck pickup.  Reassemble it all one bit at a time, checking the result as you go. Good luck.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@tej Some sound advice from @robin Maybe also a good idea to measure the DC resistance on that neck pickup. Could be a defect in the pickup too

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@koendb I think I did check them when I got them but I can’t find a note of the rest so I’ll check that for sure.

@robin if the resistance is fine I’ll do that however I read a few articles where people had a similar issue which was just down to poor soldering of the signal wire from the pick-up so I’ll “re-melt” the solder for the connections as a first port of call. That said what I’ll actually do is finish setting it up, play it loads and then tackle this another day I expect 😬

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej

Are the pick ups a matched set or did you buy them separate from different brands. It might be that the impedance on both is different.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 Yes they were a set of Hot Slags from Iron Gear, classy!

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

So @tej how did it go with them Hot Slags?

Practice on scrap...

Koendb, Boo, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@mattbeels I re-wired it all in the end as I could isolate the issue, all good now 🙂

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I've had an issue in the past with the connections on the selector switch failing.  That seems to be a weak point for me, rather than solder on pots, etc.

Posted by: @robin

Connect your bridge puckup directly to the jack socket, by passing any pots and switches and check what sound you get through your amp. If its a good result, then try the same with the neck pickup.  Reassemble it all one bit at a time, checking the result as you go.

I've done that as well ... spend a week making a guitar, get it all finished, solder the final wire in place, stand back with a sense of achievement and pride, plug in and .... nothing!

Unsolder everything and start again - exactly as @robin says - by wiring* each pickup in turn to the jack socket, then via a selector switch, then via the pots until I get it all working.

*a TV101 top tip here is *not* to solder everything when you're making temporary joints - just use wires with crocodile clips on each end instead.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: