5 Users
75 Likes
seanwhcraig
(@seanwhcraig)
Trusted Member
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 87
Topic starter  

Have an OM that I'm working on and think in leveling the sides I got a little thin in 2 spots.  I had cut a small channel so I wouldn't have to sand the top and sides end grain when leveling the sides and on 2 spots the channel is now flush.  stupidly wasn't watching the channel enough to notice I was getting through the sides pretty quick.

Does anyone have any thought on should I do anything to the sides to strengthen them up?  I think they are around 1.5mm thick now.  Maybe a little thinner.  Both sections are in the waist.

Add additional side braces on the inside?  Overlay a patch of a veneer in that section between side braces?  I have small chunks of the side and back material I could use to make it match.

I will use epoxy for pore fill so that might add a small amount of rigidity.

sanjay_pasari, tv1, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @seanwhcraig

Does anyone have any thought on should I do anything to the sides to strengthen them up?

@seanwhcraig Hi Sean, I’m going to assume you are talking about an acoustic guitar you are building. Unfortunately I don’t have any experience in this area of guitar build so I can’t help you. I’m sure someone with the relevant experience will be along shortly to help you out. 
Building an acoustic is something that is on my list but I’m having way too much fun building electric guitars for now. 

Good luck man. 👍

Boo

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

sanjay_pasari, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
seanwhcraig
(@seanwhcraig)
Trusted Member
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

yes, good point.  it is an acoustic guitar.

thanks

ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

@seanwhcraig. I would say that you should still be fine. 1.5mm is thin but you didn't go through it so I think it is ok. On the course Mark says he thins the cutaways down to .080" so that is around 2mm. I think that after you have the kerfed lining on and the top and back, there will be plenty of strength there. I would concider putting the side braces on, just to be absolutly sure and confident of the strength. 

sanjay_pasari, tv1, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
seanwhcraig
(@seanwhcraig)
Trusted Member
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Ok thanks for the reply.  im afraid it might be closer to 1mm.  but i will definitely add a couple of extra side braces.

need to figure out how to clamp them up from inside the body.  could use CA glue and activator. 

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

@seanwhcraig I would use white wood glue - it allows some time for manipulation and can be easily cleaned off if it goes wrong. Magnets make excellent clamps for this sort of thing...

Measure twice, cut once...

sanjay_pasari, Koendb, tv1 and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
sanjay_pasari
(@sanjay_pasari)
Eminent Member Customer
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 59

Wow, that's amazing that you are creating an acoustic guitar.

tv1, Koendb, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: