Gouged Neck and thi...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Gouged Neck and thickness tolerance question?

19 Posts
8 Users
97 Likes
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 488
Topic starter  
gougedNeck1

I've gouged the neck, i think i will have to excavate it with a chisel and glue in a patch,,,sanding and scraping the whole surface after that..there are several scratches after using a  [larger than shown to begin with] plane on the fillet over the trussrod. HOWEVER, what REALLY concerns me is my TOLERANCES UNDER THE TRUSSROD SLOT - i still have to carve the nack round and i've only got about 7mm of wood at the nut and about 10mm at the neck/body join end...if this neck is too thin, i'm afraid it will split or crack the first time pressure is applied with ant trussrod adjustment? i think i have to start over with a new neck? unless Tight Bond will adhere a piece added to the underside so strong that i can salvage this by adding to the neck then carving? What say ye...guys,,,helpful advice sought...thanks <>< Poco7

This topic was modified 2 years ago by POCORANCH7

Wayne_F, Koendb, Bpower and 7 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@poco7

i think i have to start over with a new neck? unless Tight Bond will adhere a piece added to the underside so strong that i can salvage this by adding to the neck then carving?

Personally, I would go ahead and carve the neck anyway, thats the real fun part of a build to me. If you're woried about it being too thin, and I don't really think that it is, why not fill on the trussrod slot, laminate a piece on to the top face and route the slot again. That way, when you carve the neck, you'll not be carving through the glued joint. If you laminate in a different coloured wood it could be a feature.

Wayne_F, Koendb, Bpower and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

The neck is far from trashed - there's plenty of time for that later...

After the neck is carved there is normally only about 3-4mm of wood left under the truss rod at the thinnest point:

If the truss rod depth is 11-12mm and the fretboard is about 5-6mm then the standard thickness of 21mm leaves at least 3-4mm.

So you are good - if I understand correctly...also:

You could just fill the gouges with wood dust and glue then sand flat...as the gouges are not very deep you will only see a very thin dark line from the side when finished...strength will not be badly affected.

Hope that makes you feel a bit better... 😎 

Measure twice, cut once...

Wayne_F, Robin, Bpower and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@robin

thanks Robin ...OK, if I went that route, i can see the extra thickness under the truss rod...but, that would mean i would have to laminate my peghead as well, right? ...which means the dominos fall...one thing leads to another; the tuning gears might need to be [repurchased ?] a little higher? right...it would give extra thickness under the truss rod...even 3mm would seem warranted...however, I am still going to carve, Mark has said...and you have said, it shouldn't be a problem...if i don't OVER carve...

i love it...that Blessed Learning Curve !

<>< Poco7

Wayne_F, tv1, Koendb and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@markbailey @robin

Awesome news...thanks,

the dust 'fill' seems good...should i use super glue or tite bond? does it matter? 

I appreciate the good word...my slot is generally 12mm +/- as noted... I'm actually looking forward to the carve...finishing is scary...but another builder told me about the finisher's bible - so to speak..."understanding Wood Finishing, by Bob Flexner" so i'm reading up on it ahead of time...meanwhile, i'm watching all yer instructionals again and again......back to the carve...too much fun...THANK YOU @robin

i'll keep ya'll posted...Aghhh, the Blessed Learning Curve...

<>< Poco7

Wayne_F, tv1, Koendb and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Posted by: @poco7

Aghhh, the Blessed Learning Curve...

Yep - that's what it's all about!

I don't think it matters what glue you use but I would probably use wood glue to make sure it bonds OK to the fretboard.

Use Titebond or white PVA mixed with FINE wood dust (use 240g paper to make the dust from a matching offcut)

I would mask the surrounding area to minimise cleanup.

- leave overnight before continuing...nobody will ever know 'cept us...and we won't tell anyone 🙂

It will be interesting to see how it works out - looking forward to seeing it carved - make sure to take pics!

Wayne_F, tv1, Koendb and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Thanks Mark...much appreciated...

moving along...like a herd 'a turtles

This project is helping me adjust to retirement, so even the small frustration is good,,,

<>< Poco7

tv1, Russ, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jozef Behr
(@jozefbehr)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 167

Thank you guys for sharing the awesome information , i'm not aware with this , it is really helpful..

Jozef Behr

tv1, Koendb, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@jozefbehr 

This is a great community, Jozef...any question can be addressed with good advice, because we're all on this amazing journey together..most of these guys are already experienced builders. I'm only able to work on this part time because of other responsibilities, but one thing that has helped me is realizing that this guitar building is [also] still wood-working...so I'm re-learning several new skills...watching wood-working videos on using chisels and sharpening planes, etc......then ...ya just gotta  do it...jump in the mix  of it all...it's all about just do it and learn yer lessons...fun stuff....

thanks for the comments.

<>< Poco7

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Wayne_F
(@wayne_f)
Reputable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 631

I know I'm a couple weeks late to the party here, but from reading your post and seeing the picture my thoughts were pretty much exactly what Mark and Robin have already said. Filling the large gouge would be fine specially since it looks like the edge is still intact. Then sand flush with the rest of the surface. I would probably leave the smaller gouge until after gluing the fretboard then fill it and sand. Just make sure you work the filler all the way down into the opening using a toothpick or some other thin object to remove any air pockets. 

Anyway, you've probably already fixed this by now and I'm writing this for no reason hehe. If you get a chance, let us know how it went.

tv1, Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Jozef Behr
(@jozefbehr)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 167

@poco7 Thank you bro for considering , really it is good place.

Jozef Behr

tv1, Russ, Bpower and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@Jozefbehr, @markbailey, @wayne_f, @robin,

I followed Mark's advice and created a paste [with regular Tite Bond] by sanding another piece of mahogany - filling, then scraping. of course, the pasting repair made its own problems [high/low spots] when sanding and scraping, you can see applied paste along the truss rod trough, but the mix was better elsewhere - you can't even tell where i filled the other gouges...

I'm watching Mark's videos and will use the caul - practice dry-clamping, and use a couple little nails to hold things tight, etc. I have to schedule an upcoming surgery on my right wrist...Sigh, if it's not one thing it's another!...so things are moving slowly, but one-day-at-a-time...we'll get there...I love it...my first guitar build. gotta say, installing fret wire [correctly] seems tough...but

20220919 180328[1]

that's all part of it...so I'm sure I'll get past it... I think i'll just

20150418 140934

make a cup of tea.

20220915 175219[1]

As always, I appreciate everyone's comments.

<><Poco7

20220919 180357[1]

This post was modified 2 years ago by POCORANCH7

tv1, Wayne_F, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

@poco7

Nice repair job Poco. We learn so much more from our mistakes than we ever do when things go smoothly............although I do hope your wrist repair goes smoothly. Keep on keeping on.

🎶🙂🙏🎸

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, Rocknroller912 and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

I'd like to see the fretboard 'dry-clamped' on - just to check...but it looks pretty good from here 🧐

edit:

Don't worry about any gaps around the fillet - it's just a spacer to stop the rod from rattling.

This post was modified 2 years ago by mark bailey

tv1, Rocknroller912, Bpower and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@poco7 

Looks good

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1 and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Posted by: @russ

Nice repair job Poco. We learn so much more from our mistakes than we ever do when things go smoothly............although I do hope your wrist repair goes smoothly. Keep on keeping on.

On that basis, I must have learned a *huge* amount!

I’ve used the wood glue & sawdust many a time to sort out little problems.

Now, whenever I’m doing a lot of sanding, I’ll save some of the dust and keep it in a little pot, ready for when it’s needed.  I’ve got a few different pots for the different species.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@russ 

thanks man...

i like this quote from rock'nroller912, "Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things." lol

we're all in this...the community forum really helps...

I'm doing the gluing today 

<>< Poco7

This post was modified 2 years ago by POCORANCH7

Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@russ, @tv101, @rocknroller912, @markbaily, @wayne_f, @robin, @jozefbehr, @koendb

I have a serious thing going on with my wrist...but i think i can install the frets, so i pushed ahead;

fretboard finalglued1
fretboard finalglued3
dryclamp1
final glueclamping1

a pix or two...of the dry clamp and final fretboard attached...moving along like a good Allman Bros riff...Right !

gluing the fretboard to the neck went well. Certainly, appreciate the help with the forum. <><Poco7

Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@poco7 

Thats coming on well poco, I hope your wrist recovers soon.

Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: