I needed a new project for the eternal lockdown, so after a chat with my musical chum and ideas man, I have started on a mandola.
The wood for this experiment/instrument comes from an elm tree which grew in the garden of my previous house but had to come down 10 years ago due to dutch elm disease. an unusual wood for instruments I am told, but it was either this or a coffee table.
Photos to follow soon.
Looking forward to seeing this one John. 👍😁
🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️
The design was based on lots of looking at you tubes and drawings and photos until I was confident (?) about scale lengths body sizes widths etc. having concluded that there is no standard size. I eventually decided on more of an octave mandolin style with archtop front and back.
So work commenced by slicing the log into one inch slabs to make the back and front plates. Not having a handy sawmill or a chainsaw, I looked for an old style rip saw. I couldn't find one so what you see is a blockwork saw. I re-profiled the teeth to get the rip saw cut and offsets. Success. It cuts really straight (if slowly) leaving minimum planing to get a good idea of what the plates will look like for bookmatching.
Top marks for doing it the hard way. I did that years ago with setting and sharpening a hand saw converting it to rip. I only did it once, never again.
Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.
Wow @jmcmi93888! That is definitely doing it the hard way, great job!
Pratice on scrap...
After a lot of cutting of more bits of the log to get the right grain direction, I cut 3 slices about 6mm thick x 70mm wide to be the sides. I then planed them down to about 3.5mm with my router in a jig ( no dancing) and then refined them with my hand plane to 2.5mm thick. Jings. That took a while and left me wondering how C F Martin etc. made instruments in the mid 1800s. Just hand tools for these boys.