4 Users
24 Likes
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God
Topic starter  

How to Make a Thru Neck Electric Guitar

(I'm working on a video on this subject - thanks Herb for the suggestion!)

While you are waiting for the edit - here is the nub of it...

Making a thru neck guitar is not very different to a set neck - the main thing is you will obviously need a longer piece for your Thru Neck Blank.

If you have completed your working drawing then you should know exactly how long you blank needs to be.

Note that also the depth of you neck blank is vital as it must be enough to include the neck angle - see Herbs original Q here...

There are a couple of changes to the order of events - and 'gotchas' you want to avoid:

• Drill the side dots BEFORE gluing the fretboard on
  • Make the Pick Link Slots BEFORE gluing the Body Wings

The Tricky Bit

All styles of construction have at least one 'tricky bit' - with a through neck it is 'Make the Neck Angle'.
The good news is that up to that point and beyond everything is just the same as making a Set Neck. So after you 'Make the Neck Angle' you can finish making the neck as normal and then glue on the body wings to make the body.

Thru Neck with a Cap?

If you are intending to have a Cap that goes right across the front of the body then there is an extra step - I will follow up with another post about adding caps to thru neck guitars later...

How to Make a Thru Neck

Make the FretBoard

• Install the Side Dots (do this now! Sometimes it is impossible to drill these after gluing the fretboard on!)

Make the Neck - Part 1

• Start on the neck - get the hard bits out of the way first
  • Route the Truss Rod Slot
  • Cut the Headstock Angle
  • Cut Out the Neck
  • Thickness the Headstock
  • Drill the Tuner Holes
  • Profile the Neck (Optional)

Make the Neck Angle (video in progress)

Make the Neck - Part 2

• It is easier (but not essential) to do these steps before gluing the body wings
  • Install the Truss Rod
  • Glue the Fretboard
  • Carve the Neck
  • Radius the Fretboard
  • Install the Front Dots
  • Prepare for Fretting
  • Install the Frets
  • Clean Up Sides

Extra Jobs!

(I will include a section about this in the video)

• Route a Slot for the Pickup Wires - With this style of construction it is very difficult to drill 'pickup link holes' as the neck gets in the way - much easier to make a slot first before gluing on the body wings!
  • Make the Body Wings - You need them to be the correct thickness
  • Glue the Body Wings - We do this upside down so the front is as flat as possible
  • Trim the Excess - Clean up after gluing - there is always a small step at the back of the neck stick that needs planing/sanding/scaping flush

Now you can continue with the rest of the build as normal
You may have some extra carving to do around the heel area where the neck meets the body.

Have FUN!
Let me know if you have any Q's...

Measure twice, cut once...

Russ, NSJ, Bpower and 4 people reacted
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Estimable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 355

Hi,

I'm making my first set neck and interested in doing a through neck next. Were videos or course content created for this, I can't see any in the current build an electric course (although I could be being an idiot)

Cheers

Dan

Russ, Bpower and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
NSJ
 NSJ
(@nsj)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2374

100% do all the fretwork first! It's a pain where the sun don't shine trying to do the upper frets after lol.

And a 100% don't forget the pickup wiring slot, I did on my 2nd one! Luckily it had a floyd so I could drill down to the rear cavity, create a channel then put a plate in to hide it all.

I glued mine up on it's back, then planed the middle down. No angle with being a floyd guitar. Not sure I could get the middle section spot on before gluing.

I actually made a list for my next one, 3rd time perfect is my aim lol

Russ, swepri, Robin and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Semi Professional

Thanks NSJ, useful stuff.

I guess once I've completed my first build the steps Mark provided above will make more sense. The bit I can't envisage yet is how to create the neck angle?

Cheers

Dan

Russ, swepri and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

Posted by: @liebe

The bit I can't envisage yet is how to create the neck angle?

I would draw a full scale side view of the guitar, with the preferred bridge height and go from there to determine the neck angle.

Russ, Robin and Dan Hawkes reacted
ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Semi Professional

@swepri good idea! Thank you!

Russ, Robin and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: