Measure twice, cut once...

Boo, mattbeels, tv1 and 3 people reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Thanks again Mark - that was a fun session - I'm now off to pack in the day job and spend my time in a workshop making guitars.

I've heard the the SW coast of Scotland is a good place to set-up shop ...

(No, not really)

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, mattbeels, mark bailey and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28658

Hi Mark,

I wish I could have made the Live stream today. Looked like a fun session. 

Do you think it is easier to make a guitar from scratch than it is to repair a guitar that is someone's little baby? 

Cheers,

Russ ?✌️?

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

@tv1010101

We could all jack in our jobs and move to Ayrshire with you to try to make a living building guitars - a sort of Sawdust Valley.......

I changed to working three days a week three years ago and my aim is to stop work in about 12 months time - it would be really good to then be able to pickup some repair work and a few builds for others to pay for some builds for me..........

I started playing guitar about 15 years ago and soon after I got into modding pedals at first for me to play with but found that other people would pay me to mod their pedals, it was a steady earner for about three years until lots of people also started doing it and the price you could charge for a mod dropped and it wasn’t worth the effort.

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God
Topic starter  

Do you think it is easier to make a guitar from scratch than it is to repair a guitar that is someone's little baby?

Most of the time yes...unless it is a particularly 'special' chunk of wood - then it can be just as scary!

Measure twice, cut once...

Boo, mattbeels, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@russ

Yes, new builds are much easier and repairs can be a can of worms. I'm repairing a 1970s Fender at the moment with a bolt on neck. It's a nightmare as the fixing holes in the neck are loose and the neck pocket is loose, so it's difficult to get the strings to line up evenly. It's also a family heirloom so I've got to preserve all the dents and scratches but try not to add any extra ones.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Boo, mattbeels, mark bailey and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: