Notifications
Clear all

tang width for Mark's fretboard slot

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi Mark

I'm about to start fretting my neck which has your lovely rosewood fretboard on it. I wondered if you could confirm the width of the fret slots and what width tang you would reccommend for the fretwire to use. I think the fretwire I have looks too wide at 7mm.

thanks

Steve

6 Answers

I’m sure Mark will respond but 7mm is huge. Are you sure that’s correct..

I’m not saying you should use these but Stew mac medium/medium sizes are:

ECAA6A57 ED86 46D6 95C7 E28CD965DBF6

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Topic starter

Hi Deej

Really appreciate your reply...I posted an earlier question getting some advice about the size of fretwire I used on my first neck as I was worried it may have been a bit small..the fretwire was .9mm high/2mmwide/tang 0.5mm which I bought from Northwest guitars( see pic attached), it went in really well, however, I felt maybe I should get something a little higher for the next neck and also on a coil as it would be more cost effective and so I bought some from touchstone supplies at 1.2mm high and to be honest I didn't consider the tang width thinking they would all be pretty standard. But as you can see from the other pic  it has a tang width of .7mm which will not fit in the slot width.....aggghhhhh....

I guess I will have to go back to Northwest and order the more expensive precut fretwire...

This is why I posted the question for Mark to see if Ihad bought unnecessarilly wide fretwire or whether Mark prefers to cut a narrower slot.

I hope Mark sees this question as unfortunately he didnt comment on my previous post, but I did get some good responses from other guys like you which I really appreciate.

cheers

Steve

Screenshot 2020 09 01 at 08.51.14
Screenshot 2020 09 01 at 08.50.22

Posted by: @steveadams

to be honest I didn't consider the tang width thinking they would all be pretty standard. But as you can see from the other pic  it has a tang width of .7mm which will not fit in the slot width.....aggghhhhh....

Steve - or just buy a slightly wider (ie thicker) saw.

There are various saws that are suitable for fret slotting.  You don't really want to be forced into using one sort of fretwire because that's all that fits the slots that your only saw cuts.

🙂

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

steveadams Topic starter 01/09/2020 11:15 am

@tv1010101
Thanks for the comment....The idea of buying Mark's preslotted fretboard was for me to avoid cutting slots (at the moment anyway)...but i see your point...

Hey Steve - the slots are cut with a .024" (.62mm) kerf but don't get too hung on that - any standard fretwire should fit OK - 7mm sounds more like railway bridge construction material to me 🙂 I would recommend medium sized (1-2mm)

I just read all the comments and it looks like you meant .7mm tang width - that makes sense - actually probably a bit tight in our fretslots ....

Measure twice, cut once...

steveadams Topic starter 02/09/2020 8:32 am

@markbailey
Hi Mark
Thanks for the reply,...yes 7mm would be a bit crazy...

It's frustrating but obviously a learning curve about these things as I tried to save money by buying a coil of fretwire but ended up ordering more!!

I have attached a pic of the neck ready to be fretted. I carved it using your technique and it's def the best result I've had so far. Your rosewood fretboard looks really good too.

I'll post a pic when it's fretted too.

cheers

Steve

20200902 082658
20200902 082709
20200902 082646

Steve it looks like your sorted.

Mark will guide you expertly but us other mere mortals will chip in when we can ??

phew 0.7 not 7mm tang..I thought you was a giant ? 

good luck with your build 

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

I’m planning a pre-slotted BaileyBoard too and I’ve already bought some Jescar EVO Gold from ToneTech. The tang in this case is 0.020" with teeth (barbs?) taking it out to 0.036".

https://www.jescarguitar.com/shop/jescar-fret-wire-47104/

In a modern, consistent, sensible measuring system, this equates to 0.508mm -> 0.914mm.

Following Bailey advice I’ve been looking at the fret saws also available at ToneTech which have a kerf from 0.53mm - 0.57mm

But it seems that the BaileyBoard has a big, flabby 0.62mm slot, so I’m guessing that the EVO Gold will just slip right in there without further finessing.

I’m tempted to get the Japanese saw (0.53mm) anyway, because I haven’t got one and they’re kewl. But would that be too fine a slot for the EVO Gold if I decided to cut a board myself?

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

Share: