Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] fretwire advice please

4 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter

Hi Guys

Just looking for some advice/reassurance...I've just started fretting my first neck and am using stainless steel fretwire 2mm wide at crown and .9mm high....so far  I'm pleased with progress, however, when I went to order some more fretwire for the next neck I could see all of the other sizes and options and am now worried that I may have used fretwire that is considered very low!! I am aiming to sell the guitars and obviously want soemhting appealing for customers to play. The guitars are telecasters with a 9.5" radius fretboard.

So my question is really to see what most people would reccommend for a tele, and hopefully get some reassurance that this size fretwire will be ok.

Cheers

Steve

4 Answers

Firstly, frets can be a very personal thing.  Some people like wide & tall, some prefer thin & low, most people are probably somewhere in the middle!

The higher they are, the more recrowning you can do as the guitar gets used.  But if you're using SS frets, they're not going to need recrowning for a good long time, so that removes one of the benefits of taller fretwire.

I reckon 0.9mm = 0.035", which is at the lower end of the spectrum.  

If you're making the guitar as a custom order, then always helpful to know what the customer prefers before fretting it.  If you're making it as a stock item to advertise for sale, then you'll highlight the easy of playing and low action possible with the low fretwire used!

There's a useful chart of different brands and sizes here

http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Topic starter

Thanks so much for the reply and thoughts...I like your spin of highlighting low action etc...I may put slightly higher frets on the next one...

Cheers

Steve

I’ve been measuring my favourite guitars before spec’ing my own choice. They’re all between 2-2.8mm wide and 0.9-1.2mm tall.

If you use 1.2mm height nickel frets, then a couple of fret dresses later they’re going to be less than 1mm anyway, while stainless steel won’t wear (much). Like @tv1010101 says, you can pitch it as a fast comfortable played-in neck!

Am I right in thinking Fender had tall skinny frets while Gibson had low fat ones back in the day? There was a time when everyone was putting jumbo frets on everything. That’s still my jam!

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

Topic starter

Hi James

Thanks for the reply...I'm on a learning curve and your thoughts really help...but also make me feel a bit releived..

I'll post some pics later as I've just finished polishng frets.

cheers

Steve

Share: