Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Double (sided tape) Trouble

10 Posts
6 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter

I Just done my daily battle with the Capcha security feature and just about lost the will to live, is it just me?

Anyway, to my question. Early days in my first scratch build, making my jigs, patterns etc. Had the two side rails for the headstock angle jig fixed together with double sided tape to cut the angle, I’ve used DST lots of time for similar jobs. On trying to separate them the tape tore a chunk out of one of the rails, such was the grip the tape had. Never had that problem before, maybe I used too much tape, maybe the MDF was a bit dodgy (new from B&Q), just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience either MDF to MDF or worse still damaged a valuable workpiece because the DST took too much of a hold? 

By the way, I did manage to save the damaged piece, a bit of glue and some sanding and all was well.

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Brian Walker
Bpower Bpower 08/03/2023 4:45 pm

@brie MDF really has no structural integrity to resist breaking. I'm not surprised to hear a chunk came off when trying to separate 2 pieces held on by double sided tape. Also some double sided tape are almost a permanent bond. I know the stuff I use is like that. When I'm separating the pieces I try to not only pull them apart but also wiggle back and forth. This seems to help with pulling pieces off. The tape that is sold by Mark on the guitar making shop is Exhibition tape. It is made to come off floors and not damage it. I haven't found any over in canada where I am but you use what ya can. 🙂

Brian Walker Brian Walker Topic starter 08/03/2023 10:56 pm

Exhibition tape it is then!!

4 Answers

I coat all my MDF templates with lacquer or sanding sealer. Prevents damage from double sided tape.

The Exhibition Tape is *much* better than other double sided tape.

I’ve used it exclusively for a few years now, and never had it slip, never had it rip either piece of material, and it doesn’t leave the nasty residue.

Just make sure that it’s activated properly - needs to be properly squeezed (clamped if possible) to get it sticking properly.

And yes, feel the Capcha pain.   It shouldn’t really be necessary if you’re already signed up with a u/n and p/w.  

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Brian Walker Brian Walker Topic starter 08/03/2023 10:59 pm

@tv101 Exhibition tape seems to be the answer.👍😃

I am the black sheep here, using the masking tape and superglue trick. Mostly because I have not managed to find any usable double sided tape here. 🙂 

I found out that a decent Adblocker seems to fix the captcha issue (using Firefox browser).

Brian Walker Brian Walker Topic starter 09/03/2023 6:08 pm

@swepri 😃👍

tv1 tv1 09/03/2023 8:11 pm

"masking tape and superglue trick"

hmmmm - not sure I've heard of that one
😉

There is a specific product for sealing MDF, it’s very runny and is just called MDF sealer. I found it on a google search. Need to clean the brushes immediately as they go hard.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Brian Walker Brian Walker Topic starter 09/03/2023 6:08 pm

@rocknroller912 👍😃

Share: