Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Finishing/gluing…and sanding

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, so I want a different finish on the neck and the body so was planning to put the finishes on each before gluing the neck in. I’m presuming I should mask off the faces where the glue will go?

Currently I’m still sanding the body, the inside of the horns over the end grain is proving a real pain to get smooth. Has anyone found anything that makes for a good rounded sanding block? I need something with a bit of give in it as using round wood with sandpaper attached is just messing up the contours.

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

6 Answers

@tej

I've been using various sizes of aerosol cans as sanding blocks for the curves. I did find it difficult to get it smooth inside the curves on my ash body, I get dips at the soft bits and bumps are the hard bits.

I think it is just hard work and not moving through the grits until smooth........ 

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

I've got bits of broom handle, a chunk from a wooden curtain pole, some plastic tubs - all different diameters.

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

I have a box of bits that could be useful for sanding at some stage.....

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

Tej Tej Topic starter 29/06/2021 12:45 pm

Appreciate the input, I found one can that was spot on for what I needed, for the inside of the horns I glued some EPDM rubber cut off to a chopped up broom handle which really helped even out some of the bumps. I think the main problem was moving on from the 120 grit too soon as
@frocesterbill suggested. It’s looking good now though, hopefully get time to post up some pictures later on

Bill Flude Bill Flude 29/06/2021 12:50 pm

Think finer grits are for removing scratches from coarser ones not for removing lots of stuff.....

You've got to love sanding - and got to love your Mirka.......

Waits for Mirka haters to start lobbing stuff.....

@tej

I found a good tip from a Canadian guitar maker on utube a while ago. He wraps abrasive paper round something soft like a sponge which preserves the original shape. I tried it and it works very well. On the demo he was taking down high spots on a fretboard that was in for re work and he showed how quick it is to level the surface without changing the radius curve. I’ve forgotten his name but if I can find it on my utube feed I will post a link.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Tej Tej Topic starter 29/06/2021 12:48 pm
This post was modified 3 years ago by Tej

@ rocknroller912 thanks sounds similar to what I did with the rubber but would be good to see what results he got if you do find it.

Any takers for the whether it’s ok to put stain and oils/laquer on before glueing the neck in place query!?

Bill Flude Bill Flude 29/06/2021 12:53 pm

Not tried finishing before glueing in neck - would the oil make the glue joint weaker?

Rocknroller912 Rocknroller912 29/06/2021 1:39 pm

@tej Martin guitars do all the neck and body finishing separately before fitting the two together, which is the only hand crafted process in the factory. It includes stain, lacquer and polishing. The neck/body glueing surfaces are masked off for this and removed just before final fitting.

Topic starter

@rocknroller912 that was the plan!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Share: