(@cheesewhisk)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765
Topic starter  
6E8D43EC 7E90 40DA 8FED E3650E0ED3C8

If nothing else, this build has had it’s entertaining moments 😂😂

just how?Β 

By the time I realised it wasn’t going in or out from here the glue had pretty much dried.Β 

Tej, tv1, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

just how?Β 

@cheesewhisk 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Maybe an air bubble lifted it or something. Never mind, sand it flat, drill it out carefully and glue another one in, Done. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Tej, Rocknroller912, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Quite oftentimes they go in wonky like that.Β  Just get into the habit of a gentle tap with a small hammer once you've put them in the hole and all should be good.

👍

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Tej, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Topic starter  
6C2EA220 9558 40C6 8344 374C6BDFC216

cheers @booΒ sanding flat done, but wasn’t sure about drilling it out so I thought I’d post and see what you guys think. I’ll drill it out later.

Having second thoughts about the 12 fret wings now but fortune favours the bold or something right?Β 

Β 

Clinton, Tej, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Topic starter  

To be fair the others went in absolutely fine, more 'learning experiences' eh?Β 

Totally didn't glue my finger to my thumb either, well maybe for a split second.

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Having second thoughts about the 12 fret wings now but fortune favours the bold or something right?Β 

@cheesewhisk Do you have a routing template or small carving chisels for those wings?Β 

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo I've got a dremel router base but no template, I do have some carving tools. I'm close to bottling it tbh but I would like to at least attempt something. I know Mark says keep it simple but always says anything you add will take more time and I'm no in any rush.

mattbeels, Tej, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Totally didn't glue my finger to my thumb either, well maybe for a split second.

@cheesewhisk Have you bought any debonder yet for superglue? I have had a few close calls. 🤣

ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Funnily enough I was watching an older video of Marks where he suggested debonder after someone glued her finger to her guitar. So yes, I definitely got some in before I started inlays.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I've got a dremel router base but no template, I do have some carving tools. I'm close to bottling it tbh but I would like to at least attempt something. I know Mark says keep it simple but always says anything you add will take more time and I'm no in any rush.

@cheesewhisk It’s good that you have a router base for your dremel, it’s something I’ll look into buying one day.Β 
The wings seem a little bit complex for your first attempt, maybe just go with a couple of dots for this build. I would have some practice time in with your router. On a scrap piece of wood, draw around the wings and route out the middle in between the lines. Keep practicing, do it several times before attempting it on a real fretboard. 👍

ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Sounds sane to me, I know not all wood is equal but would practising on say the off cuts of the mahogany neck be worth using? I don't have any spare rosewood lying around.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Sounds sane to me, I know not all wood is equal but would practising on say the off cuts of the mahogany neck be worth using? I don't have any spare rosewood lying around.

@cheesewhisk Yeah, I would practice on all different types of wood, just so you can understand them a bit better, for future reference. I know it sounds a bit boring and you just want to do it on a fretboard but testing is definitely a big part of guitar building. If you use dots for the current fretboard, you can continue building it. Do some scrap testing in some spare time when you take a break from the guitar build.Β 
As part of a health and safety protocol, take regular breaks from working on things, especially if power tools etc are involved. 👍

ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

If you want to do fancy inlays, ebony is probably a better choice than rosewood, the bits you have to fill won't be as visible.

Β 

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

If you want to do fancy inlays, ebony is probably a better choice than rosewood, the bits you have to fill won't be as visible.

@jonhodgson Ebony is quite soft though, it can chip very easily but, like you said, filling them in won’t be difficult. 👍Β 

ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

@boo most ebony species are considerably harder than rosewood.Β 

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Ebony is quite soft though, it can chip very easily

I've always thought of Ebony as being quite a hard wood @Boo?Β  Hence the susceptibility to chipping?

mattbeels, cheesewhisk, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I know not all wood is equal but would practising on say the off cuts of the mahogany neck be worth using? I don't have any spare rosewood lying around.

I'd not dismiss having a go at that inlay on this fretboard @cheesewhisk.

Whichever fretboard you do it on, it's going to be "the first" one.Β  Why not this one?

I would strongly recommend practising on whatever bits of scrap you've got first though.Β  It doesn't have to be a bit of rosewood.Β  The wood doesn't really matter.Β  What you're learning is the feel of the router and bit as it's making those intricate cuts, and how to control it.

Each piece of rosewood will be different - because you'll be cutting into different grains - so, just because you've practised on a piece of scrap rosewood, doesn't mean that the actual rosewood fretboard will be the same.Β Β 

Practice on scrap of different woods, get comfortable with the router and how it behaves, then, when you feel comfortable and not-too-confident, give it a go.

Slowly, slowly, carefully, carefully, and watching it very closely.

ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

Saying that, I'm loathe to use ebony because they are such an endangered species (the growth rate of the hard heartwood is incredibly slow) so if I want the ebony look I'll try Rocklite Ebano first. I have a sundari (fake rosewood) fretboard blank and it looks great.

Β 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I've always thought of Ebony as being quite a hard wood

@tv101 Yeah it is a hardwood but to me it feels quite soft and spongy when routing, I don’t know why, maybe it’s just me? Maybe it’s more brittle than soft?Β 

mattbeels, cheesewhisk, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Saying that, I'm loathe to use ebony because they are such an endangered species (the growth rate of the hard heartwood is incredibly slow) so if I want the ebony look I'll try Rocklite Ebano first. I have a sundari (fake rosewood) fretboard blank and it looks great.

@jonhodgson Yes! I’m all for this Jon and for all the right reasons. You have just reminded me to go and look more into it. 👍Β 

I had my first Covid vaccine jab yesterday and I’m not feeling all that great today so I’m staying away from the tools. I’ll go look at Rocklite. 🤘😁🤘🎸

mattbeels, Russ, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: