RSS

tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 17995
23/04/2021 1:22 pm  

Ebony is quite soft though, it can chip very easily

I've always thought of Ebony as being quite a hard wood @Boo?  Hence the susceptibility to chipping?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, cheesewhisk, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 17995
23/04/2021 1:26 pm  

I know not all wood is equal but would practising on say the off cuts of the mahogany neck be worth using? I don't have any spare rosewood lying around.

I'd not dismiss having a go at that inlay on this fretboard @cheesewhisk.

Whichever fretboard you do it on, it's going to be "the first" one.  Why not this one?

I would strongly recommend practising on whatever bits of scrap you've got first though.  It doesn't have to be a bit of rosewood.  The wood doesn't really matter.  What you're learning is the feel of the router and bit as it's making those intricate cuts, and how to control it.

Each piece of rosewood will be different - because you'll be cutting into different grains - so, just because you've practised on a piece of scrap rosewood, doesn't mean that the actual rosewood fretboard will be the same.  

Practice on scrap of different woods, get comfortable with the router and how it behaves, then, when you feel comfortable and not-too-confident, give it a go.

Slowly, slowly, carefully, carefully, and watching it very closely.

ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1680
23/04/2021 1:29 pm  

Saying that, I'm loathe to use ebony because they are such an endangered species (the growth rate of the hard heartwood is incredibly slow) so if I want the ebony look I'll try Rocklite Ebano first. I have a sundari (fake rosewood) fretboard blank and it looks great.

ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 20922
23/04/2021 1:39 pm  

I've always thought of Ebony as being quite a hard wood

@tv101 Yeah it is a hardwood but to me it feels quite soft and spongy when routing, I don’t know why, maybe it’s just me? Maybe it’s more brittle than soft? 

ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
23/04/2021 1:42 pm  

Saying that, I'm loathe to use ebony because they are such an endangered species (the growth rate of the hard heartwood is incredibly slow) so if I want the ebony look I'll try Rocklite Ebano first. I have a sundari (fake rosewood) fretboard blank and it looks great.

@jonhodgson Yes! I’m all for this Jon and for all the right reasons. You have just reminded me to go and look more into it. 👍 

I had my first Covid vaccine jab yesterday and I’m not feeling all that great today so I’m staying away from the tools. I’ll go look at Rocklite. 🤘😁🤘🎸

mattbeels and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1680
23/04/2021 1:53 pm  

@boo

It could be you have Indian ebony, which is similar to Indian rosewood on the Janka hardness scale, but it's very much the exception.

I haven't tried working the Sundari yet, but in terms of appearance and feel, once it's on the guitar with a dose of Fretboard restorative on it I don't think anybody other than a true wood aficionado will know it's not rosewood.

ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
23/04/2021 2:21 pm  

It could be you have Indian ebony, which is similar to Indian rosewood on the Janka hardness scale, but it's very much the exception.

I haven't tried working the Sundari yet, but in terms of appearance and feel, once it's on the guitar with a dose of Fretboard restorative on it I don't think anybody other than a true wood aficionado will know it's not rosewood.

@jonhodgson I didn’t know that about Indian Ebony, thanks for the info. 👍 

The Sundari sounds amazing k I’m gonna have to try some now. 

ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 3622
23/04/2021 3:10 pm  

@cheesewhisk

One tip I learned for handling small parts like dots, when doing jewellery making classes, is to use blue tack or similar for holding. My method now is small stick or dowel, blue tack, dot, then push into the hole. I’m the worlds worst person for super gluing my fingers together so it works for me. Remove the blue tack then tap the stick lightly to seat the dot.

Don’t call us we’ll call you

mattbeels, Tej, cheesewhisk and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2