10 Users
285 Likes
electricstringtheory
(@electricstringtheorygmail-com)
Trusted Member Customer
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 74
Topic starter  

So I am part way through my first build. I have completed the neck and designed and rough shaped the body, but having put the two together for the first time, I have realised the body shape is now out of proportion and essentially the lower bouts are too small for the rest of the body and neck.Β 
my main concern is that it ends up as a playable and decent sounding instrument, but I feel I will be slightly disappointed every time I look at it if I continue as is.

Does anyone have any ideas to improve this short of scrapping the body and starting again?

I thought of possibly steam bending a length of wood around then glue and blend in to the rest of the body but have no experience bending wood and I estimate would need to be in the region of 2cm thick to balance the look. Will this thickness bend? And if I have enough off it’s from the main body material (black limba/korina) is this a suitable technique? Bear in mind I have a figured top on this too and planning on an natural finish so no hiding it under paint unless things get really desperate.

Β 

thanks in advance!

tv1, Tej, mattbeels and 10 people reacted
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Ouch. 😮 Ideas anyone?

I suspect this probably goes in the 'you can take it off but you can't put it back on again' category...

This is why I always highly recommend following along with the course for your first build - I really think it is the best way to avoid this kind of thing.

It would be a shame to waste your lovely wood...

If you upload a pic - it might help us help you.

Maybe you can reshape the rest of the body to match? If not then my advice is to finish the guitar as it is. As long as you do a good job someone will love it whatever shape it is...you can sell it and make another! or if that doesn't do it for you... put down to experience and start again...Β 

Β 

Measure twice, cut once...

ReplyQuote
electricstringtheory
Trusted Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply Mark, and the link to the course - will def check that out, as I still have a lot left to do.Β 

Unfortunately I think you are right on the β€˜can’t put it back on again’ category - I made a template first but didn’t check with the neck before I cut. A mistake I won’t be making again in a hurry!

anyway, here is a pic in its current state for context. As you can see it just looks a little off…

ACFB5C3C 36BC 4B04 97EE F0B5BC54C887

Β 

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@electricstringtheorygmail.com

First of all welcome the group. I think you've had the best advice from Mark already if you want to keep a natural finish, I wouldn't want to hide that beautiful wood either. Trying to add wood on just wouldn't look right. Maybe reshape just a little to make it look more balanced.

tv1, Tej, mattbeels and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28658

It doesn't look that bad @electricstringtheorygmail-com. Keep going.Β 

🙏🎸🙂🎶

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Does anyone have any ideas to improve this short of scrapping the body and starting again?

@electricstringtheorygmail-com Welcome to you and don’t sweat it, keep calm.Β 

You could try reshaping it a little or go wild and create something radical. A lot of people are obsessed with balance and symmetry (I think humans are programmed to want it that way, in everything). I like it too but not all the time, I love asymmetrical patterns, structures, systems, there is real beauty in that too. Don’t always try and make a perfect guitar, just make a guitar and see where it leads you. Sometimes a project will show you what it wants to be and you just follow it to produce something unique.Β 
If this was a project for someone else, a customer, then it may be a different story, you would probably have to start again or talk to the customer about other options. This is for you (I presume), you may have a plan but you can stray from it, if you see an opportunity. I think you are at that stage now.Β 
There are some crazy, unique designs all over the internet, have a look on Pinterest or Instagram for inspiration.Β 
Take a breath, sit back, do some research before making any more cuts. Slow down and think.
There are a million and one ways to make mistakes but they all provide you with opportunities to fix them or alter your plans. We all make them so don’t let it knock your confidence too much, let it bounce off you and come back stronger. Calm, cool and collected.
To help, we always need pictures so we have a good frame of reference. When I first read your initial textual explanation, I didn't know whether you were building an acoustic or electric guitar. Pictures are a massive help, especially for people like me who are dyslexic. I like to help people as much as I like to build guitars but plenty of pictures help more than anything.Β 

It would be great to see/hear your thoughts and plans for your chosen solution, we could help.Β 

Keep going. 👍Β 

Boo

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@electricstringtheorygmail-com Welcome to the community! I would agree with @russ.. It does look ok to me too. I actually like it.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@electricstringtheorygmail-com

Welcome to the forum. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a small body and a standard neck but I would agree that the proportions are not exact. Perhaps you could rasp the top bouts a bit as follows. Rough drawing with an Apple Pencil.

Β 

EB6B5D38 9FFD 432F 8FF3 15DDC48950D1

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
electricstringtheory
Trusted Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and support.Β 

it is intended for me to keep, so I do have the freedom to veer off piste a little. I will try to come up with some options and post the progress on here, complete with pics!

Rocknroller I actually quite like your suggested shape, especially the stubby horn. It has made me realise that part of what I don’t like about my original shape is that it looks sort of squashed and that helps to soften the angles a little.Β 

I don’t have much time to devote to Β this so progress is slow (about 9 months in so far) but will try not to keep you hanging too long!

tv1, Tej, mattbeels and 12 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

Thanks for the positive response. I would suggest measuring the distance of the top, middle and bottom bouts from the centre line, so that although it’s not a symmetrical shape the balance of the horns might be something you are happier with.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
electricstringtheory
Trusted Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

I had a little play with the asymmetric idea - this is my first attempt but actually much prefer it. Would be good to hear everyone’s thoughts on whether it actually is an improvement though! Wary of taking too much off!

41F7DD32 86AD 4E17 BD56 240E52F739E6

Β 

tv1, Tej, Koendb and 14 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28658

Still looks okay to me @electricstringtheorygmail-com.

Β 

🎸🙂🎶🙏

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

tv1, Tej, Koendb and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Would be good to hear everyone’s thoughts on whether it actually is an improvement though!

@electricstringtheorygmail-com Yeah, I think that looks great, go with that. There comes a point where you can mess around with a design too much, don’t over think it, go with that now, it looks superb. There are plenty more guitars to design and build, you will be an addict soon, like the rest of us. 🤣Β 

Happy building. 🤘😁🤘🎸

tv1, Tej, Koendb and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

I think it looks good as a complete picture taking in the headstock. It leans forward which is making a statement.

tv1, Tej, Koendb and 10 people reacted
ReplyQuote
electricstringtheory
Trusted Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, looks like that’s the one! Think I am already addicted, just need to get the mrs on board and maybe find somewhere better than the kitchen in which to work!

tv1, Tej, Koendb and 12 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

I agree - Looks 100% better if you ask me.....great! Good advice folks - thanks all!

Measure twice, cut once...

tv1, Tej, Koendb and 14 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Welcome to the forum @electricstringtheorygmail-com. Whew, that’s a big name!Β 

I like the look of the guitar, it reminds me of a Blueshawk but I definitely like the second one better, great job!

Β 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Tej, Robin and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
electricstringtheory
Trusted Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Just a little follow up for those who helped me along the way, and anyone else who may be interested.Β 

Although this has taken me about 9 months from starting the research, I have had 3 weeks of evenings to myself for a final push to get this finished. Although there are a few mistakes, I am super happy with how this turned out for my first build. Can’t wait to make the next one!

FDB5D2AF FCAC 402B AE07 677B8E53CC7D
5F6FE721 9F93 487B B383 E87E237822CA
BE418EFD 8B55 411B ADA3 D702B6F0D8C6
2547660E 6469 422F BDAC A5809AD40DC5
E98A9ABC 5B6E 48F0 8C76 3066207AFF24
F4DA25CA 5BEA 4E4B A6DA 02538CAFFD7E
D0F74FDE 872F 483F 89F1 BFE828814F62
FD00DEDB 28BA 4E04 BD59 5545C861FB48
C63B6038 FAB6 4D0E 8979 7A5571BB6F03

Β 

tv1, Tej, mattbeels and 14 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

That looks really good man, I bet you are happy with it. Well done sir!Β 

On to the next one. 👍

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

Well done,Β  I'd be happy with that. I'm sure it'll be the first of many.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: