46 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842
Topic starter  

I have made a Tele style neck and for some reason I have messed up with the measurements. The width at the nut is supposed to be 42mm and it measures 44mm, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh............ I’ve made the neck the wrong size. I need the string spacing to be 38mm E to e.

It’s not as if I can just take some more off each side of the neck, I’ve done all the frets and finished it all in Tru Oil. 

Im not too fussed about the width for playing it so I can just use another nut, the problem is finding one. I know I could buy a blank but I don’t have nut making files and I’ve not made a nut before. 

Do you make nuts Mark? 

HELP!!!! 

AC409B34 A10F 4B70 B770 8223A74458E3
54950E72 C756 456B 9F84 D6DC8E8AB0DF
6DC2B1B6 3804 472B 8ECB 710246BF9478
8764DFDE E15B 45D5 86AA 4D34422C44EE
619DC372 E3F4 4880 AB2E A6946E1097AA

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Hi John -

I had a good look at the images...the good news is that it is far from a disaster...Looks great!

The width at the nut is supposed to be 42mm and it measures 44mm, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh............ I’ve made the neck the wrong size. I need the string spacing to be 38mm E to e.

38mm E-E with 42mm overall width only leaves 2mm each side - I would say this is not enough. After you have the angle on the frets your playing surface is further reduced and you run the risk of the strings slipping off the side ...

44mm overall leaves 3mm each side - perfect (for 38mm E-E spacing)

It’s not as if I can just take some more off each side of the neck, I’ve done all the frets and finished it all in Tru Oil.

Yes you can do exactly that - if it is not right then why not fix it? My advice is to take it down using rough 60-80g then a little reshaping/refinishing. touch up the fret ends ...done. In the worst case you may end up destroying some side dots but they are easy to replace.

Is it one of our 1/8" nuts? I don't think so as I just checked and ours are 42.7mm wide with 35mm E-E.

I can certainly send you one of ours if you need it just ask...

Measure twice, cut once...

tv1, Boo, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Right ok, thanks for that Mark. I’ll get my sanding beam out. 

It will give me something to do whilst I’m waiting for my next lot of wood for the next build. 

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Thanks. 

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

OK - but make sure you understand this first:

38mm E-E with 42mm overall width only leaves 2mm each side - I would say this is not enough. After you have the angle on the frets your playing surface is further reduced and you run the risk of the strings slipping off the side ...

44mm overall leaves 3mm each side - perfect (for 38mm E-E spacing)

be careful that you do not end up too narrow!

You still have the option to leave it as is 😛

let me know how it goes!

tv1, Boo, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

So, I can leave it as it is, 44mm, and I just need to fit a nut that is 38mm E to e? 

If so, can you make me one? 

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Yikes John, a whole 2mm? Whoa! Firstly, I think you need to reconsider your use of the word disaster! Lol! What you have here is a slightly sub-optimal tolerance occurance! I define this as something that no more than one in a thousand people would be able to spot without the use of a dimensioned plan and digital calipers!

In situations like this, and not just with guitars I must add (I have years of experience!), I might consider the following:

Q1. Does it really matter?

Q2. Does it affect anyone other than me?

Q3. What’s the easiest way to fix the main problem?

Q4. Can I retrospectively think of a good reason that I might have made it like this on purpose?

Q5. Will I remember not to do it again?

I think your answers would probably be:

A1. Not really

A2. No

A3, New nut

A4. Yes, (posssible suggestion -  my fingers might put on weight)

A5. Almost certainly

If I were you, I would therefore decide that this is my experimental wide neck Tele and fit a nut to suit the current neck width, if for no other reason than, having got it so finished, to start removing all that neck with a sanding block would kill me when I could better spend the time starting to make another guitar with a 42mm wide neck.

If you can make a nut blank to fit your guitar and mark up the outer string positions and finished depth of slot on the neck side I am more than happy to file the guaged slots for you. Let me know if would like me to do this and I’ll send you my address.

I should say that this isn’t necessarily an easy thing for you to do as determining and fiddling with the nut slot depths is best done with the guitar neck, nut, strings and files all in the same place at the same time. Still, happy to have  go if you are!

Regards

Darren

tv1, Boo, mark bailey and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Having said all that, in the past I have made perfectly good nuts using just a single good quality knife profile needle file such as:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/needle-files/5416977/

You could certainly make a functional blank with the correct slot depths for me to copy.

Regards

Darren

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

To make a nut I would really need the guitar here- I can send you a blank but you would need to cut the slots and adjust the depth of each slot to suit the guitar...

maybe it is time to invest in a set of nut files?

https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/nut-files-set-of-3-electric.html

another option is to take it to your local repair man...

@Darrenking - great input - dead on thanks!

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Yeah I know what you are saying about having the guitar there. 

I know I’m going to have to take the plunge sometime with nut files and making my own nuts. A may be able to buy some in a few weeks, it’s just going to have to wait. 

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

This is such good feedback, I really appreciate it, thanks Darren. 

I may take you up on your kind offer.

Did I see somewhere that you live in Lancashire? 

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hi John,

I thought I had posted this ealier but it isn’t;t showing in the thread.

No, I am in Hertfordshire. Email me at darren.king@bagpress.com and I’ll send you my address.

Regards

Darren

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Right, I’ve slept on it and I’ve decided to take the plunge and buy some nut files. This is the perfect opportunity and I can’t hide from it forever.

Thanks to both of you for the advice and Darren thanks very much for your kind offer but I’m going to face up to it. 

Mark, I can’t see any nut blanks at Tonetech that will fit my 3mm nut slot, can I use this bridge blank? 

https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/guitar-parts/pins-nuts-saddles/bone-saddle-blank-bleached.html?___SID=U  

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hi John,

All blanks will come oversize in all dimensions. Get yourself a bit of MDF, stick some 120g or 150g abrasive down on to it and start rubbing! You just can't beat the smell of hot bone dust!!

Darren

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: darrenking

Hi John,

All blanks will come oversize in all dimensions. Get yourself a bit of MDF, stick some 120g or 150g abrasive down on to it and start rubbing! You just can't beat the smell of hot bone dust!!

Darren

Hahaha....... nice one! 

I’ll have to go and do some research now on nut making. 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Just found this cool nut calculator.

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/fret-and-nut-calculators/nut-calculator/  

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
202D9FA9 F12F 45E8 B92D 62D2D5F7ACB7

ReplyQuote
Edwin
(@e-den-hertog)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 658

Making your own nut is a nice job, and therapeutic! Sand, fit, sand, fit, sand etc...... Like Darren said, a piece of mdf and sandpaper.... And if you mess up the first time, no problem. Just make another one!

Tip: Use another nut with the right spacing as a template. Put them next to each other and transfer the slots onto the blank.

Go nuts!

Measure once, cut straight away and maybe you're lucky......

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: Edwin

Making your own nut is a nice job, and therapeutic! Sand, fit, sand, fit, sand etc...... Like Darren said, a piece of mdf and sandpaper.... And if you mess up the first time, no problem. Just make another one!

Tip: Use another nut with the right spacing as a template. Put them next to each other and transfer the slots onto the blank.

Go nuts!

That is a good tip Edwin but this one will be a custom string spacing. 

I’m now excited about rubbing and polishing my nuts this weekend! 

Cheers.

John. 

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hey, That's been bookmarked! Thanks

Darren

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Edwin
(@e-den-hertog)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 658

Better not use 80 grit....................

Measure once, cut straight away and maybe you're lucky......

Boo and Boo reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: