Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1768
01/05/2021 7:30 pm  

Hi, so I’m looking a few last tools, I need fret nippers (the home grown ones I have are dreadful!) Nut/saddle files, a fretting hammer and fret pullers. 
I’m after recommandations based on your experience as there seems to be a huge different in price with some of these and it’s impossible to actually tell what’s worth the extra. The only I’m confident with is the nut files one of you kind people suggested already, a set of 3 double edge ones from Hosco, reviews everywhere are pretty consistently good. So, any views on the rest are welcome please!? 

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Koendb, tv1, mattbeels and 1 people liked
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 17995
01/05/2021 7:51 pm  

Afraid I got most of my tools from StewMac.

In my defence, it was about £1=$2 at the time ....

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Koendb, mattbeels, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
01/05/2021 7:57 pm  

@tv101 Thanks, they’re quite competitive to be fair but some things are clearly rebranded Hosco products which I’ve found cheaper elsewhere!

Any idea where we stand ordering from there in terms of thresholds for import duty etc?

ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 17995
01/05/2021 8:01 pm  

StewMac used to use DHL to ship to the UK - don’t know if they still do.

Upside: incredibly fast.

Downside: they’ll *always* bill you the full VAT & Duty due on the package value.  If you assume the VAT&duty amounts to 25% of the cost-incl-shipping, then you’ll be close enough.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
01/05/2021 8:11 pm  

Downside: they’ll *always* bill you the full VAT & Duty due on the package value.

@tv101 …and there goes them being quite competitive!

tv1, mattbeels and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 3622
01/05/2021 9:23 pm  

@tej

I use ordinary end cut pliers from the local diy shop with the end filed or ground to make a flat. They work fine and cost £2. When I go back to work later I will take a photo. Before I got fret nippers I used to hold the wire in a small vice and use a file. My nylon faced hammer it got from Cookson Gold and it doubles for Jewellery making. Lots of places sell them and some have screw in heads for when they wear.

Don’t call us we’ll call you

Koendb, tv1, mattbeels and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
01/05/2021 9:29 pm  

@rocknroller912 ok maybe I really lucked out then, I tried exactly that but the ends just weren’t strong enough and dented with each cut.

ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2253
01/05/2021 9:45 pm  

I get much of my tools from Guitars and Woods in Portugal and TLC guitar goods in the Netherlands, My fret puller and fret cutter are from G&W and pretty cheap . I believe I paid 32 euros for these

tv1, Tej, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1680
02/05/2021 2:14 am  

Most of my tools are from Crimson, and they all seem excellent. Some they buy in (like the hosco nut files) others they make themselves.
The company is owned by a total tool-nut (his other business is a vintage tool shop), so it's not surprising they have some good stuff.

I do have a very nice fret bender from GMC in Wales though, cheaper than most of the competition, but made out of metal not wood and has the ability to straighten fret wire.

Koendb, mattbeels, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
02/05/2021 7:30 am  

@jonhodgson I’ve a few tools from Crimson and have to agree they’re beautifully made. It’s trying to balance value vs quality, if I had the money I’d  get everything from them 🙂

ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
02/05/2021 10:09 am  

@koendb thanks, I’ll check them out, not sure in duty from Europe now either so might leave me in the same position as stew Mac where the prices are great until they’re taxed to death!!

Koendb, mattbeels and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 15091
02/05/2021 10:48 am  

Hi @tej

Watch out for the 20% off at Stewmac. That helps cover the cost of the import taxes. I know that doesn't help if you need to get a tool quickly but it can help build up your toolbox over time. 

🙏🎶🙂🎸

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Koendb and mattbeels liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
02/05/2021 10:54 am  

@russ speed isn’t really an issue here as there’s a lot to do before I need something I don’t have! 
Waiting on a new truss rod, at the moment anyway before I get started.

Koendb, mattbeels and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2253
02/05/2021 11:57 am  

not sure in duty from Europe now

@tej, yeah thats why I prefer mainland Europe companies lately. I do buy from UK/US based luthier shops on occasion, but only if I can't find it here. Nothing to do with chauvinism, but all with (imho) stupid import BS

Rocknroller912, Tej, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 14673
02/05/2021 12:40 pm  

The only I’m confident with is the nut files one of you kind people suggested already, a set of 3 double edge ones from Hosco

That was me @tej 😉

I would suggest the fretting hammer made by Summit and sold at Tonetech. I have several Summit tools and I really like them, except their fret pullers. Those I didn’t gel with. I really like their fret cutters as they’re strong enough for stainless and angled so they fit over the body on acoustics, Les Paul’s etc. 

The tang nippers from Summit are also great. So great in fact that the mighty Stewmac has recently copied them.

But you didn’t ask about those...

Tonetech also sell fret cutters from Hosco and those should work great.

For fret pullers you can try searching for Top Cutters or simply get a pair from Crimson or try ebay. You’re probably not getting into the business of refrets so you don’t need an expensive pair.

You can also just buy the general tools and grind the faces flush if you have a grinder...

Pratice on scrap...

Tej, Koendb and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2