304 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

Hi people, is there a reason not to use ash for a neck either it it’s entirety or and part of a laminated neck? Currently making a new ash blank for a body and someone’s offered up some ash for the neck as well but I’ve never seen an ash neck hence the question.

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 9 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @tej

is there a reason not to use ash for a neck either it it’s entirety or and part of a laminated neck? Currently making a new ash blank for a body and someone’s offered up some ash for the neck as well but I’ve never seen an ash neck hence the question.

@tej I’ve never heard of an ash neck, either in full or part. Maybe there is a good reason if nobody uses it. Let’s see what Mark and the others say. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

I'd say a definite no no for newbies - risky unless you have a few builds under your belt. It's too difficult to work. If you are experienced and prepared to take the risk then why not - if you can find a good piece.

I have seen Ash used for guitar necks - not always successfully. Been trying to remember makers names but they escape me, apologies...(anyone?) They are very rare...probably for good reason.😬

I think the main problem is the coarse grain. With hard bits next to soft bits it can be very difficult or near impossible to get all the lumps out.

Pretty sure it is not as strong as maple, although I have not tested it, but I have had a broken Ash neck in the workshop for repair (headstock snapped off) if that is any clue.

Each individual piece should probably be taken on its own merit...but...personally I save Ash for electric guitar bodies.

That is my long winded way of saying 'proceed with caution' or 'don't say we didn't warn you' or 'what's the worst that can happen?' 🤔 We'll all be watching and cheering you on whatever...if it explodes you get extra points!

This post was modified 2 years ago by mark bailey

Measure twice, cut once...

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @markbailey

We'll all be watching and cheering you on whatever...if it explodes you get extra points!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  
Posted by: @markbailey

the main problem is the coarse grain. With hard bits next to soft bits it can be very difficult or near impossible to get all the lumps out

Ok, this at least gives me something to go on and investigate further, thank you. I’d be making a laminate neck with ash and mahogany harvested from a donated skirting board. I will indeed proceed with caution and I’ll be sure to blame everyone else except you and @boo if it all goes a bit wrong 🤔

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Russ, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej

I will put my head on the chopping block and say no because Ash is very springy, so unless it’s all heart wood and very solid it will give under string pressure eventually. I made an English Longbow from Ash once and it’s done by cold bending and gradual pressure, as it’s not very resistant to pressure. Maybe use some carbon fibre strips as well as a truss rod. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, Tej, Russ and 10 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @rocknroller912

I made an English Longbow

@rocknroller912 What? Oh yes! It’s strange, I was looking into longbow making a while back but got totally distracted by guitar making. I will definitely have to revisit the idea and find somewhere I can take lessons in longbow and arrow making. I’m not into weaponry (certainly not for hunting or murdering) but I used to make bows and arrows when I was a kid and it’s just something I’m drawn to. I did find some info on YouTube that got me more than interested, I’m going to have to find it again now. I would only ever shoot at targets in a controlled environment, the thought of injuring or killing anything man or beast I find very upsetting. 
Can you imagine a sparkly bow and arrow? 

tv1, Tej, Russ and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Posted by: @boo

but I used to make bows and arrows when I was a kid and it’s just something I’m drawn to.

😆 😆 
Clever @boo.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Koendb, Tej, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@tv101 Oh you spotted it. 🏹🎯🥇💯 😁👍

Koendb, tv1, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

I learned on a course in Lincolnshire in about 2003 and think I still have the notes, including how to make a bow string with a spliced loop from wax thread. UK wood isn’t much good as it’s too fast growing and the annual rings are too far apart. Medieval bows were made from imported European Yew timber which we used to fight Europeans with. It’s pricey so Ash is used for beginners. You can find suppliers online, but you have to calculate the stick length according to your height and your draw length (pulling the string back level with your nose). I’ve never tried making arrows but it’s similar to violin bow making which I can do. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Boo, tv1, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I love ash for guitar bodies @tej but personally I wouldn’t consider using it for a neck. However I’m interested to see how it goes for you, good luck!

Practice on scrap...

Koendb, Boo, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I learned on a course in Lincolnshire in about 2003 and think I still have the notes, including how to make a bow string with a spliced loop from wax thread. UK wood isn’t much good as it’s too fast growing and the annual rings are too far apart. Medieval bows were made from imported European Yew timber which we used to fight Europeans with. It’s pricey so Ash is used for beginners. You can find suppliers online, but you have to calculate the stick length according to your height and your draw length (pulling the string back level with your nose). I’ve never tried making arrows but it’s similar to violin bow making which I can do. 

@rocknroller912 Excellent, it’s definitely something I’m interested in pursuing. What wood is used for arrows?

It doesn’t surprise me that materials for weaponry were sold to the enemy, it still continues today, it’s an industry.  

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

Sorry this is off topic a bit, but if you want me to look out the notes and post them to you I can do, or you could collect them any time you’re travelling North. I’m 10 miles from the M6 turn off at Gretna and about the same from Lockerbie. Not sure about arrow wood. I’ve been told that straight grain cedar is used but it seems too soft and flexible. Probably Blackthorn which is used for walking sticks as it can be heated and straightened by bending and it would have been abundant in the time when bows were used. A modern cheat is to take metal pipe, cut it along the length on a bandsaw and put the stick in between the two bits. Clamp loosely in a vice, heat and gradually tighten till you have all the bends out. Finish by scraping the bark and sanding.

ps 

I think hunting with bows might be illegal anyway

mattbeels, Koendb, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Sorry this is off topic a bit, but if you want me to look out the notes and post them to you I can do, or you could collect them any time you’re travelling North. I’m 10 miles from the M6 turn off at Gretna and about the same from Lockerbie.

@rocknroller912 Yeah cool, thanks very much. I won’t have time to look into it in the next 6 months really, until we have found a house north of the border. We have a keen potential buyer for our house and it’s not even on the market, so all we have to do is cash it in and wait for some inheritance money to come through in the next couple of months. Once we have our pot of gold, we will be cash buyers for our new home in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

We have a lot of things to sort out in the meantime so I will have my plate full. Once we are in Scotland, I will be visiting a few of you so I can call in and pick up those notes. It will be good to finally meet you and other new Scottish friends. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

I think hunting with bows might be illegal anyway

Good, I’m very pleased about that. 

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

I’m hoping to get some big Ash boards soon. My nephew has a friend with an Alaskan sawmill and there are some on offer I think, so I might have some to trade for paint finishing advice.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I’m hoping to get some big Ash boards soon. My nephew has a friend with an Alaskan sawmill and there are some on offer I think, so I might have some to trade for paint finishing advice.

@rocknroller912  Sounds good to me. I think I’m going to love living in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@boo 

Sounds good to me. I think I’m going to love living in Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

And just as a bonus, we've got a football team again.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

Isnt Ash quite heavy?

0BFD285D 3D4B 49FF AA86 618984A58392

Got this piece 2inch thick and it weighs a ton. 

Hell of a neck dive to use as a neck.

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

Dream on

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@clinton

Is your body American ash

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: