234 Likes
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896
Topic starter  

What do we think about building FX into a guitar?

I'm not thinking Muse midi-controller levels of complexity here.

I'm just thinking of the simple FX - a small circuit board with a pot mounted directly to it, powered by a standard 9v PP3.

I've built this chap, which is simple enough, and just adds a bit of extra "drive" to the guitar's output.  Now considering building a guitar to fit it into! 

Generally these are simple-is boost/drive/fuzz circuits, just needing the single pot to control the amount of boost/drive/fuzz.

The wiring should be simple enough, just insert it before the output jack.  Could be switched on/off via a mini-toggle, or perhaps a push/pull pot.  You'd either need to swap out an existing tone/vol control, or add an extra one in.  Plus you'd need space in the control cavity for the 9V.

Battery life wouldn't be a major issue, because the circuit would be activated by the guitar lead being inserted into the jack socket.  And deactivated (no battery drain) when the lead is removed.

So, oh wise ones, useful ... or a silly gimmick?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Rocknroller912, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

What do we think about building FX into a guitar?

@tv101 I think it’s an exciting idea and I’m in all the way. Hit me up! 🤘😝🤘🎸

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

I do like a gadget @tv101 but I prefer my guitar to be simple and plug it into the effects........ although always open to persuasion.

🎸🎶🙏🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I prefer my guitar to be simple and plug it into the effects........ although always open to persuasion.

I know what you mean @Russ.

Building something into a guitar is obviously a lot more commitment than buying a pedal!  But the flip side is that it's more portable - don't need to worry about pedalboards, PSUs, etc - it's all hanging around you neck.

Plus, adding the effect into your sound can be done anywhere on the stage (LOLz, remember "stages"!!) rather than having to be within foot distance of the pedalboard.

I've got some early 80s MIJ guitars that really went for the on-board active electronics (think Alembic, but not actually Alembic).  Seemed like a good idea to me at the time, which is probably why it stuck in my memory.

Russ, Boo, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I do like a gadget @tv101 but I prefer my guitar to be simple and plug it into the effects........ although always open to persuasion.

@russ Now you are going to be a guitar builder, whether it be as a hobby or to make money, you can try all different types of guitars. Yeah sure, I am usually a traditional sort of player that likes to plug a simple guitar into a handful of stomp boxes and straight into a clean amp. BUT........ Build all kinds or weird and wonderful things, this is the environment for it. 
I have become so open minded since I started building. I started by building a few classic shaped guitars but now I’ve started to modify them and think about designing and building some crazy stuff. Yeah you can make a wall full of traditional guitars (ask me how I know) but you could make another wall full of experimental guitars. We are limited only by our imagination. Build build build....... and build some more. 🤘😁🤘🎸

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I think it’s an exciting idea and I’m in all the way. Hit me up!

Would need use of that hotstick (aka "soldering iron") though @Boo ...

It'd be quite simple to put a circuit together, run it on an "outboard" basis to try it out and decide whether it'd be useable, and then rewire it to fit it into a guitar if you decide it'd be worthwhile.

As I said, most of the simple boards are just boost/overdrive/fuzz style things, so possibly more useful for a bit of extra oomph for the solos.

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

@boo @tv101. Great advice guys. I'll keep that Mind well and truly open. 🤯 

🙂🙏🎶🎸

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

mattbeels, tv1, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@tv101

I don’t think that it’s a silly gimmick but the player has to like the sound that it produces. The thing about a pedal is that if you don’t like it you can just try another until you do. With this circuit in the guitar it’s more labor intensive and if you don’t like it then...

However I do like the idea of flippin’ that switch and boom, overdrive! I have a preamp on an old BC Rich Warlock and it definitely cuts through the mix, which is great for those solos and girls throwing their panties onstage, amirite bortherz?!?

In general I prefer to have the guitar circut to be as clean and straight forward as possible but I do like some bells and whistles here and there so I say go for it. If you decide you don’t like it or end up rarely using it it’s no big loss and you had the fun of trying and the satisfaction of doing it in the first place. 👍

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

However I do like the idea of flippin’ that switch and boom, overdrive! I have a preamp on an old BC Rich Warlock and it definitely cuts through the mix, which is great for those solos and girls throwing their panties onstage, amirite bortherz?!?

@mattbeels Wow, you looked so different back in the day Matt. 🤣

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@boo

Wow, you looked so different back in the day Matt. 🤣

What do you mean? That photo is from last week, I don’t understand...

Practice on scrap...

Boo, tv1, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Would need use of that hotstick (aka "soldering iron") though @Boo ...

It'd be quite simple to put a circuit together, run it on an "outboard" basis to try it out and decide whether it'd be useable, and then rewire it to fit it into a guitar if you decide it'd be worthwhile.

As I said, most of the simple boards are just boost/overdrive/fuzz style things, so possibly more useful for a bit of extra oomph for the solos.

@tv101 Yeah I realise at some point I will have to resign myself to doing a bit of soldering from time to time, I just need the right kit and some practice. 

I hear what you are saying about the onboard effects being mainly boost/overdrive etc but I would absolutely love a sustainer circuit in a guitar with the flick of a switch/button. I have a sustainer/feedback pedal which I love so it would be good to have the option of having one onboard too. 

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I have a preamp on an old BC Rich Warlock and it definitely cuts through the mix, which is great for those solos and girls throwing their panties onstage, amirite bortherz?!?

"Nice" jumpsuit @mattbeels.

If you decide you don’t like it or end up rarely using it it’s no big loss and you had the fun of trying and the satisfaction of doing it in the first place.

It's pretty much reversible, or changeable.

You'd try the circuit outside the guitar first, decide whether it works or not.  If so, fit it into the guitar (If not, try another).  

If you fit it and then decide that you don't like it sometime later - no biggie - just swap the circuit/pot/knob out for the tone control that you removed to make room for it originally.

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@tv101

You'd try the circuit outside the guitar first, decide whether it works or not.  If so, fit it into the guitar (If not, try another).  

True, true. Sometimes I get caught up in the moment and forget simple things like using alligator clips to first test electrical components before actually wiring them, d’oh!

Practice on scrap...

Boo, tv1, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

What do you mean? That photo is from last week, I don’t understand...

@mattbeels 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

“Nice" jumpsuit

@tv101

I know, right? I don’t know about you but   I take band practice very seriously. A great man once said, “In order to be successful, one must project an image of success at all times.”

Practice on scrap...

Russ and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Where does one get one’s grubby hands on sexy electrics like this? 😳 

C71B91DB 078C 4E26 8192 46275B261AED

Russ, tv1, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@mattbeels Does Steve Vai not have a some kind of sustainer circuit in Flo? 

tv1, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

There's no FX in there @Boo - just some neat wiring.

You can buy pre-wired looms, or you can get handy with the hotstick ...

Russ, Boo, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@boo

Yes he does. A Fernandes Sustainer to be exact. I have one and they are awesome. These days Steve uses a Sustainiac. Those were on the market waaaaaay back in the day. The first I heard of it was around 86/87. They used to have some dorky thing that attached to the headstock with a cable hanging down. 🙄

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@boo

Pre-wired circuits are pretty common these days but... you’ve got to like the components they use and pay a hefty premium. They are extremely well done though...

Practice on scrap...

Boo, tv1, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: