76 Likes
steveadams
(@steveadams)
Prominent Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 1060
Topic starter  

Hi Guys

I'm getting to the point of finishing the guitar. It's a mahogonay build from Mark's kit and wanted to pick your brains about finishing oil.

I see Crimson sell a couple of different types, anyone have any experience of these or any other suggestions...?

Without Mark's finishing course (ha ha) any suggestions on getting some kind of glossy finish. I appreciate that it won't be like a cellulose spray finish but I want to get as much of a buffed finish as possible.

Looking forward to hearing from the top brains on the forum.

cheers

Steve

Β 

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 7 people reacted
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

I would recommend Osmo or Fiddes hardwax oil. It goes on beautifully without getting sticky (like Danish Oil can) and gives a lovely satin finish. Rub it in hard with a cloth to generate a little heat and then wipe off as much as you can. Leave for 24 hours and repeat as many times as you think necessary to achieve your desired finish. Rub down very lightly with the finest steel wool or very fine abrasive paper (400G) between coats if the grain has lifted at all and never put another coat on if the previous one still feel tacky, just leave it for a bit longer. If you want more gloss then you will have to apply a beeswax over the top of the oil finish. Rub on a thin coat, leave to dry and then buff with a clean, dry cloth. Clear Bison wax is very good as is Lord Sheratons. This is going to be about as shiny as you can get a bit of wood without lacquering it or French polishing it.

mattbeels, Clinton, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
steveadams
(@steveadams)
Prominent Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hi Darren

Thanks for such a quick and great detailed reply...I will take your advice on products and method..

Thanks again

Steve

mattbeels, Robin, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 494

Hi Steve

I've used both Crimson's penetrating and high build oils;

The penetrating oil works great on necks - couple of coats applied with 2000 grit paper (leaving plenty of drying time) then rub down with soft cloth. Super slippy and makes the grain look pretty.

Only did one finish with the high build. It does go pretty glossy especially if you finish off with a wax coat but it's not very tough.Β 

Guitar making is the art and science of turning expensive wood into sawdust.

mattbeels, Peebee, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
steveadams
(@steveadams)
Prominent Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rockpile99

Thanks for that, good to hear your thoughts on the Crimson stuff and tips...

cheers

Steve

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Looking forward to hearing from the top brains on the forum.

@steveadams Not sure I’m a top brain but I’ll try and help you. 🤣

I use Tru Oil, I absolutely love it for an oil finish.Β 

6103F357 1DD3 4A49 8219 D6F768B82ACC

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Robin, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I've seen pretty much all options recommended by one person or another, and I've tried most of them too.

My conclusions are that you can get a great finish from just about any of them, but the exact technique you use varies depending on the product.Β  An approach that works great for one, doesn't work so well for another.Β  So, pick one, and build you knowledge/expertise in how to use it to get the finish you want.

Some generalised tips ...

Make sure the environment is clean (yup, I've tried oiling in a dusty workshop)Β  πŸ™

And use a clean material for applying the oil.Β  I've started using very gentle kitchen scouring pads.

Make sure the environment isn't too hot, nor too cold.

Don't force it.Β  Apply thin coats, and let them dry properly before adding the next one.

If it goes awry, the answer is pretty much never to add more product (!).Β  Clean it all off, and start again.

The quality of the end product is directly related to the quality of the starting product.Β  Make sure the wood is completely blemish free!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@tv101 Well said that man. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 3 people reacted