8 Users
78 Likes
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112
Topic starter  

I went to a mushroom growers convention in Belgium a few years ago (long story, previous hobby, still got an ex military medical autoclave, and laminar flow cabinet in my factory!) and one of the big topics of conversation was the use of adapted 20’ or (mainly) 40’ shipping containers as a mushroom propagation spaces. It strikes me that a 40’ x 8’ space could make a really good guitar workshop. Obviously you need somewhere to put it but a good condition 40’ container can be bought for about Β£1000 so it could be a fairly cheap workspace, compared to a wooden shed, Β and there are lots of ways to adapt and disguise them. Anybody considered or done this before?

I know it’s late, I’ve had some lovely wine this evening, it’s the first of the month after all(!), so this post might look a it weird in the morning, but I’d still like to know what you think.

Darren

mattbeels, mark bailey, Peter Johnson and 11 people reacted
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

They are pretty secure as well - we have a couple of 20’ ones at work as stores - they need insulation adding and heating/cooling, both of ours get very warm in bright sunshine - I guess 3”x4” frame boarded with insulation in the void would do the trick and also stop the echo.....

Β 

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Likeakite
(@likeakite)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 372

Hi Darren, I'm trying to convince my son to buy a container rather than a flimsy tin foil shed, you know the type. Like Bill said they can be made nice secure too.

Β 

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I saw a Grand Designs episode a while back in which someone made their house out of (used) shipping containers.

And it didn't turn out at all badly.

If you can make a home from one, you can certainly make a workshop environment.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Edwin
(@e-den-hertog)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 658

Magic mushrooms....? 🙃 🤩Β 

Measure once, cut straight away and maybe you're lucky......

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@darrenking

Brilliant idea, containers can be used for anything if you can cut through the wall to put in services and find a big enough place to site one.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, Russ, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Anybody considered or done this before?

@darrenking I watched the same TV programme @tv101 saw about using them for building a home. I remember thinking at the time that if I had the space, one or two of them would be a great work space. I still have one in mind if I buy a big enough plot of land in Scotland. It’s a good idea.Β 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Russ, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

Somebody I know (from my local hackspace) has been setting up a workshop in a shipping container. He's renting a patch of land on a farm I believe quite cheaply and he bought the container. He's fitted windows and skylights, insulated it, etc. Looked pretty close to ready to move in last time I saw photos.

Β 

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: