402 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842
Topic starter  

I have run out of disposable income/savings for guitar building (damn covid pandemic) so am having to use whatever I have or get my hands on. 

I have this piece of mahogany (I think) that used to be a window sill and I’ve cleaned it up with my planer. It is now 18mm thick and ready to use as a cap when I’ve jointed it. One of my last body blanks is a 38mm piece of poplar. With a combined thickness of 56mm, do you think that is too thick to be a body blank? 

EEE483C0 884F 4B6F 99E8 FFA8A214C47C
1C87C04A 512A 4449 9FB2 8B79FD398B45
28E253EE 9700 4489 8B8A D69566150D53
1B9F8249 AF62 4878 8A7E 5FE59148635E

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, darrenking, Robin and 5 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I have a big fat piece of Sapele that has been in my garage for years, easily big enough for a large body blank. After that, I have a few big pieces of pine which I have used before. It’s not the best wood for guitar building and it’s not ideal but it satisfies guitar building addiction. 

3D9D762F 14A1 4D75 8356 FF64E11160EB
AFA6134C A41B 48C6 9E53 04AE8DB8AC89
3820D9C5 4B15 4279 A195 C3A98EEA386B

mattbeels, tv1, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

@boo Well John, I'm no expert but I would guess that you'll be able to turn all of that stuff into guitars.

🙂🎶🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@boo

Hi Boo, I'm very happy with my pine body with mahogany cap, so why not?

20201113 170001

mattbeels, tv1, Rocknroller912 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Well John, I'm no expert but I would guess that you'll be able to turn all of that stuff into guitars.

Thanks @russ I try my best. I’ll definitely have to continue down this road for a while, it will hone my skills. 🤘😁🤘🎸

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I'm very happy with my pine body with mahogany cap, so why not?

@robin Of course, I forgot about the woods you used. I’ll definitely have a go. I’m just wondering whether to plain down the sapele (@darrenking) board a bit thinner. 

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@boo

so am having to use whatever I have or get my hands on

I've got a Bailey kit for my next build, but I'm thinking about searching the charity furniture shops for real old solid wood for my third, once it's safe to go out.

mattbeels, Russ, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've got a Bailey kit for my next build, but I'm thinking about searching the charity furniture shops for real old solid wood for my third, once it's safe to go out.

@robin Yeah I’ve got a mate who found an old wooden chair in a park. He claimed it, took it home and used it as part of a guitar build, a body cap. Yep, it’s time to get creative. 

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Hi Boo,

Do have the ability to slice the 18mm sapele down the middle to provide 2 caps? You could then bond a 6-7mm cap on either side of the body core. Less chance of distortion if the lamination is balanced on the center line.
Thinking about other materials that might be used then, looking at softwood options, douglas fir and hemlock are fairly easy to source in large, mainly knot free, dimensions. Thinking outside the box a little then birch ply is cheap, stable and is a really good density for electric guitar making. I think it could be a really interesting low cost material for bodies (or necks come to that) especially when makers are either working on restrained budgets, just wanting to try something out or especially for a practice runs prior to using expensive materials for their dream build. Poplar ply is also available but is much less dense, so easier to work but less of an instrument grade material. For quick design development work it would still work well.

So Boo, do you (or anyone else) want to beta test a birch ply guitar build or prototype program if supply the material?

Darren

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

So Boo, do you (or anyone else) want to beta test a birch ply guitar build or prototype program if supply the material?

Great idea @darrenking

I completely understand/agree that the quality of materials used is critical to acoustic builds.

But for electrics, surely the materials used has more impact on aesthetics than the sound?  If you're going to put a nice cap on it, or spray it with coloured paint, then the material used for an electric's body is surely less important. 

I know there are people around who claim that they can hear the difference between the different glues used for neck/body joins (it just has to be proper hide glue, but only the '57 recipe, nothing later, and heated over a charcoal stove not gas or electric), but I can't help feeling just a little bit sceptical.

Pickups, Amps, FX, strings, even the sort of plectrum you use (if any) is going to impact the tone produced as much as the materials used.  Clapton sounds like Clapton (etc) no matter what guitar he plays ...

I'm going to have a bit more time in the NY, so I might sign up for the test pilot programme (again).

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Rocknroller912, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking Thank you very much for this information, I really appreciate it. And....... YES PLEASE! I would love to try a laminate guitar build. I am also in agreement with Tony @tv101 about electric guitar body materials. Those guitar guitar snobs out there that are self proclaimed gurus of the construction and sound of an instrument, right down to the glue used are just full of it! I am always willing to try anything new, there is no point dwelling on the past. We would never progress as a species if we never changed anything, if there weren’t innovators, developers and early adopters. 
That makes me sound like a pretentious, self proclaimed innovation guru! 🤣 I’m not, I’m just willing and excepted to try new things and see what happens. We can use the prototype development model to design, construct, develop, test, analyse, tweak; repeat! 

So, let’s make a start and experiment. 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I know there are people around who claim that they can hear the difference between the different glues used for neck/body joins (it just has to be proper hide glue, but only the '57 recipe, nothing later, and heated over a charcoal stove not gas or electric), but I can't help feeling just a little bit sceptical.

@tv101 I agree with you entirely Tony, pretentious guitar snobs are full of it! I think it’s all absolute nonsense and at the end of the day, does it really matter? NO! 🤘🤣🎸

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking No I don’t have the equipment to resaw that mahogany window sill, my bandsaw isn’t big enough. I’ll sort something out. 

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

@tv101 You forgot the day of the week and the phases of the moon!

mattbeels, tv1, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

You forgot the day of the week and the phases of the moon!

And that's why I'll never be a *proper* luthier @darrenking ...

😆

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I always remember “The Kodak Effect”

Kodak shot themselves in the foot when they failed to listen to the science about digital photography. Instead they buried their heads in the sand and denied this new fangled digital upstart of an idea would ever get of the ground. They lost their major market share due to their ignorance and arrogance, all because they thought their established rule book couldn’t ever be updated or or outgrown. 

I apply this story to everything in life now, nothing lasts forever! As with all things, entropy erodes everything and new things take their place. 

mattbeels, Rocknroller912, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hey Boo, A man after your own heart 🤣 

mattbeels, Rocknroller912, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 494

From what I've seen around the internet you can build a guitar body out of anything you can fasten a neck, pickups, and bridge to (circular saw blades, concrete, lego, pencils, and shovels are all on YouTube). My last build was made from some Ikea pine shelves and it sounds just like me playing on any other of my Seymour Dunan equiped guitars, so like the wise people above have said - 'tonewood is bollox'.

If it's something like the correct size and will let you route/drill without breaking, then I don't think there's any harm in using any type of wood you find (unless you're breaking into the house next door to steal their mahogany doors).

Guitar making is the art and science of turning expensive wood into sawdust.

mattbeels, Russ, Rocknroller912 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

unless you're breaking into the house next door to steal their mahogany doors

@rockpile99 That thought had actually occurred to me! 🤣

mattbeels, Russ, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

@boo Here's some inspiration. Nothing wrong with this as a self-build project!

mattbeels, Russ, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: