49 Likes
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Estimable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 355
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

I've got a decent powered router, but it's plunge depth is only 35mm, which is severely limiting competing the control cavity.

I've been looking at the DEWALT DCW604NT as I've got the matching drill with batteries, but it's pretty expensive...

Anyone got any decent recommendations that won't cost the bank?

I know for sure I don't want a really cheap one. I got one made by trend for 70 and it wasn't very good ..

Cheers

Dan

Robin and Russ reacted
Brian Walker
(@brie)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 300

Hi Dan, I can understand your frustration with the limitations of a 35mm plunge depth, it makes those deep routs quite challenging. For what it’s worth I have two routers, the elder of the two is a PRO CLM1250R, which I use are a table mounted router, it claims to have a plunge depth of 42mm. It’s a well made bit of kit and, although you wouldn’t be able to buy one new, I have seen them second hand on FB Marketplace.

To save me the bother of removing the PRO from the router table I decided to get another router (last of the big spenders me🤣🤣). I decided on a MACALLISTER MSR1200 which was £54 from B&Q, now I know you said you didn’t want a cheap one but this one has done all the routing on this build, with the exception of the truss rod slot. The maximum plunge depth is claimed to be 55mm but, in reality is probably a bit less than that. OK, if you were using it hard every day of the week it probably wouldn’t stand the strain, but it’s done all I’ve asked of it. That particular model is no longer offered ( I think I got the last one in my local branch of B&Q!!) but there’s an MR1200 model at £50 with similar specs.

AwRaBest,

Brian.🤣😃🎸

Robin, Russ and Dan Hawkes reacted
ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  
@brie thanks Brian, that is useful. Thank you!

Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
NSJ
 NSJ
(@nsj)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2381

@liebe Longer router bits, I do mine with a palm router including floyd rose routs etc. Most routers don't have a huge plunge but you use a bunch of different length bits then just swap them as you go.

Believe it or not, one of my favourites is an aldi special, it's just so smooth and never lets me down. I bought a katsu makita clone but it can slip a bit, I did read a review though where the guy mentioned the makita doing it too. Maybe just a bad design.

I also have the bosch 1200 pof which is pretty decent but really just leave that set up with the fence to do the trussrod channel.

ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@nsj thanks for this. I'm my stupidity I hadn't considered bits beyond the 1/4 & 1"bits I have.🤷

The issue with the 35mm plunge is that I have a gap between how deep I can get the hole with the 1/4" and how deep I have to cut with the 1" to get the bearing against the side. 

On previous builds I've managed to skate a fine line, on this one, and because the cavity is tight, I couldn't see the bit had slipped and was cutting much deeper. Actually let than 1mm from the front. Not ideal!

I've got a drop top I'm going to use in this case, adapt and overcome and ask that, but would feel more secure with a bit more control with the deeper routs.

I'll certainly look into longer top bearing bits as they certainly should be part of that. Anywhere you suggest getting them from?

Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

@liebe As @nsj said, longer shafts on the router bits is useful. I use these: https://shop.rall-online.net/epages/61511639.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61511639/Products/19110058

Robin, Dan Hawkes and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@swepri superb, thanks bud!

Russ, swepri and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
NSJ
 NSJ
(@nsj)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2381

@liebe the problem with plunge is you can go to deep and start hitting the wood with the collet. For bits you can go with trend for reasonable but if spending a bit more I've got to say radian, they're cutters are superb.

Russ, swepri, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@nsj cheers bud. This has all been really helpful.

Every build I learn a little bit more as something throws my initial plan out the window!

Russ, swepri, NSJ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Posted by: @nsj

For bits you can go with trend for reasonable but if spending a bit more I've got to say radian, they're cutters are superb.

I couldn't agree more @nsj. They're the best I've come across.

🎶🎸🙂🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Robin, swepri and Dan Hawkes reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Wealden Tool Co. cutters are significantly cheaper than Trend and, IMHO, are of a higher quality. I use them with manual routing and their solid TC spirals are the standard on my CNC router. https://www.wealdentool.com/

Dan Hawkes, swepri, Rocknroller912 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Posted by: @darrenking

Wealden Tool Co. cutters are significantly cheaper than Trend and, IMHO, are of a higher quality. I use them with manual routing and their solid TC spirals are the standard on my CNC router. https://www.wealdentool.com/

@darrenking

Thanks for the link Darren. Good to hear from you again.

🎶🙂🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Hi @swepri

Posted by: @swepri

@liebe As @nsj said, longer shafts on the router bits is useful. I use these: https://shop.rall-online.net/epages/61511639.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61511639/Products/19110058

These have just come back into stock. It says they have an 8mm shank, my router has a 1/4. I'm wondering if these will fit my router as 1/4 works or about 6mm?
Cheers

Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

@liebe No, the shank diameter must be the exact right diameter. But, I think the manufacturer is the same as in Darren's link, so you may find one there: https://www.wealdentool.com/

Or maybe you can switch collets in your router? I can switch collets in my routers to suit different shank diameters.

ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@swepri thanks mate. I should have spent a bit more time researching before asking, but really appreciate you answering.

Looks like I can get at 8mm collet for my router, after a bit of digging.

I'll look before asking next time!

Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
tyreman
(@tyreman)
Reputable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 516

I use an old bosch GOF900ACE you should be able to pick one up for £50 maybe less, they are very good and reliable, the only problem with them is no extraction, but if you can live with that it's a good one.

ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@tyreman thanks for the suggestion!

Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: