16 Likes
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896
Topic starter  

It's a large chunk of mahogany, dimensions  53" x 4" x 3".  Or 1340 x 100 x 75 in new mmoney.  It's quite weighty.  Pictured with a couple of G-style blanks for comparison.

I've had it for a while, with a vague idea of using it for a thru-neck, but not sure that's the best use for it.  

It's rift sawn.  Where it's been shaped at one end, there are a couple of worm holes (which, I think, is why the previous owner sold it on).

I could use it for a thru-neck, but would probably split it into 3 lengths and flip the middle section (maybe with some veneers between for a bit of visual niceness) to protect against it moving.

Or I could probably get two G-style neck blanks out of it (might need to scarf joint one of the headstocks), or maybe even 4 F-style blanks.  Either option could again be split into 3, flipped / veneered and re-joined.

Thoughts?  If @markbailey is around, this is a piece that I could bring next month, possibly cut and prepped in advance if I can decide on what to do with it.

20230727 083440sml
20230727 083429sml
20230727 113924sml

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, Bpower, Robin and 1 people reacted
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Posted by: @tv101

Thoughts?  If @markbailey is around, this is a piece that I could bring next month, possibly cut and prepped in advance if I can decide on what to do with it.

Are you going on a workshop @tv101? Very jealous.

🙂🎸🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896
Topic starter  

Just a few days @Russ - it's possible that another member of this little forum might be there also 😉

I've been told that Ayrshire in August is the best time to visit.  Shouldn't be too hot.  Nor too dry.  And one of the days shouldn't be a howling gale either.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

ReplyQuote
NSJ
 NSJ
(@nsj)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2381

Posted by: @tv101

It's a large chunk of mahogany, dimensions  53" x 4" x 3".  Or 1340 x 100 x 75 in new mmoney.  It's quite weighty.  Pictured with a couple of G-style blanks for comparison.

I've had it for a while, with a vague idea of using it for a thru-neck, but not sure that's the best use for it.  

It's rift sawn.  Where it's been shaped at one end, there are a couple of worm holes (which, I think, is why the previous owner sold it on).

I could use it for a thru-neck, but would probably split it into 3 lengths and flip the middle section (maybe with some veneers between for a bit of visual niceness) to protect against it moving.

Build more, worry less. That's my motto lol. Seriously though, I'd only be concerned if I was shipping it elsewhere in the world with extreme temps.

Out of the 14 guitars I've built I've only had one neck warp and it was the most expensive fanciest piece of proper stable neck wood I've ever used! 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Share: