4 Users
28 Likes
simecircle
(@simecircle)
Eminent Member Customer
Rookie
Rep Points: 20
Topic starter  

So after introducing myself to a very friendly welcome I thought I would try and ask a question. I can’t work out whether this is the correct forum, but here goes…

I have one of those fret jigs for a 24.75" scale and it strikes me that with a 0.58mm kerf on the saw the end cut, where the nut is, should be 0.29mm offset, if anyone sees what I mean.

Is that the case?

tv1, Russ, Robin and 1 people reacted
NSJ
 NSJ
(@nsj)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2381

Well you're cutting the standard fret slot where the nut goes anyway, the jig usually has it as one of the notches to line up so in theory that already happens. Certainly never had a problem yet myself using a ig and fret saw.

tv1, Russ, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

@simecircle Yes there should be a tiny offset, at least compared to using a zero fret. I have a template from Rall, and there is markings for Saddle/Zero fret. The slot for this is a tiny bit wider and you tuck it up against the desired edge when cutting the slot.

20230711 093733

tv1, Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
simecircle
(@simecircle)
Eminent Member Customer
Rookie
Topic starter  

@nsj thank you kindly for the response - my jig does not appear to be offset to be honest.

tv1, Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
simecircle
(@simecircle)
Eminent Member Customer
Rookie
Topic starter  

@swepri yes, that's exactly what I am thinking - especially if you compare to a zero fret! I don't think my jig does this and I notice that difference on yours is quite pronounced? Anyway, thank you so much for the response. I asked this in a couple of places and have been told I was overthinking it and maybe I am, but I am glad to have some confirmation that my theory is along the right lines!!

tv1, Robin, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

@simecircle Check your jig using a fret space calculator. Maybe some templates are already compensated and others are not?

On the other hand, the difference is only half a tang width, so maybe it does not compromise the intonation that much.

ReplyQuote
simecircle
(@simecircle)
Eminent Member Customer
Rookie
Topic starter  

@swepri yeah, or half a saw width? Which I understand to be 0.29mm, but I think you are probably right in that the difference is not big enough to change intonation.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Posted by: @simecircle

I have one of those fret jigs for a 24.75" scale and it strikes me that with a 0.58mm kerf on the saw the end cut, where the nut is, should be 0.29mm offset, if anyone sees what I mean.

Good morning, I'm a bit late to the party but yes, there should be an offset for the nut position slot. I allow for this on the templates that I make for the slotting jig available in Mark and Carol's shop and this is indicated for each scale length. The only ones which are positioned for zero frets are the two Maccaferri scales. It may only be half the thickness of the saw blade but, to my mind, if you can compensate for this then you may as well do so.

Cheers

Darren

Robin, tv1, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: