6 Users
108 Likes
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 494
Topic starter  

Just used my Bagpress fret slotting jig for the first time and it's amazing! Today has been a good day; I managed to conquer the witchcraft that is using hand planes to get a square and flat* fretboard blank, which then got slotted in minutes. I've done fret slots manually a couple of times but with very mixed results**, which is why I've bought pre-slotted boards from Mark for my last few projects but I wanted to try a different wood to what's available pre-slotted. 

IMG 20210515 162421
IMG 20210515 160137
IMG 20210515 142652

Mark often says that pre-slotted boards are one of his biggest sellers - selling a jig this good might just do him out of some money. If you haven't already got one and you have some unwanted cash or a birthday coming up then you know what to do 🙂 

* - long as you promise not to measure too closely.

** - the second attempt was worse than the first and couldn't even be used for jazz.

Guitar making is the art and science of turning expensive wood into sawdust.

tv1, Deej, mark bailey and 15 people reacted
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

@rockpile99

Anything can be used for jazz, you just have to declare yourself "experimental" and/or "free".

It takes commitment though, you have to repeat the motif (no matter how painful) until somebody in the audience (ideally wearing a poloneck) nods knowingly.

tv1, Tej, Deej and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Tej, Deej, rockpile99 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

nice...

Measure twice, cut once...

Koendb, tv1, Tej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Buck
 Buck
(@bhrdavidyahoo-com)
New Member Customer
Rookie
Rep Points: 15

I'm trying to get my first build off of the ground it's getting in to my budget a little more than I expected. I went on line to buy enough cam clamps to get started and got sticker shock, $30 US each for the small one, so I came up with this. In the US we have a cheap tool store called Harbor Freight. The 12" ratchet clamp was $4.00 US, I got the 1/4 20 handle on Amazon for $.85 each, I used a T nut to thread it and the wood was left over scrap oak from a previous project. Besides misc. sheetrock screws, I have a less than $5.00 in each clamp. I built 4- 6", 4- 8" & 4- 12" clamps for a grand total of $60 US,  Hope that this helps someone, Buck

20210517 103933

Koendb, tv1, Tej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Nice work, Harbor Freight has some good stuff among all the junk. Looks like a good project to save some cash. 

I’m curious where you saw such high prices on cam clamps though...

Practice on scrap...

Koendb, tv1, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Buck
 Buck
(@bhrdavidyahoo-com)
New Member Customer
Rookie
Rep Points: 15

Got the price for the cam clamps off of Amazon

Koendb, tv1, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

If you haven't already got one and you have some unwanted cash or a birthday coming up then you know what to do

That Bagpress fretting jig is indeed a very useful thing.  Have you seen the neck heel/pocket cutting jig??

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Koendb, Tej, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: