Bridge Placement Co...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bridge Placement Conundrum - Telecaster or any really..?

2 Posts
2 Users
22 Likes
Anonymous 15136
(@Anonymous 15136)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

Hi

Newbie planning on a build, but I'm not a guitar player. It's for my son. How important or should I say is there a finite measurement for the placement of the bridge in relation to the bone nut....? 

I have seen and used the fret calulator of the Stewmac site, and I have from that worked out that from the bone nut (inside face) to 12th Fret is 323.85mm, so for  25/5 scale doubled is 647.7mm.  So am I to conclude that the bridge should be exactly in line where the strings terminate at 647.7mm or there-a-bouts. Only within the image text  (Attached) it says that the string length won't match the scale as the saddle position varies..  not that I fully understand that really if I'm honest.

StewMac

So does that mean that effectively I could put the bridge further away/or closer than the 647.7mm measurement. I'm a little confused.  🤨

20210127 200000

Excuse the crued drawing but think it explains what I am asking.. 

Appreciate an expert help, cos I'm struggling with this one.

TIA

Couttsy

Bill Flude, Eddie6string, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

The short answer is “thereabouts” because you have some fine adjustment available by moving the saddles back/forwards on the Tele bridge.

I would set my saddles in the middle (ish) of their adjustment range, and then use that middle position to measure the 25.5” distance from the nut.  
For other bridges, placement measurement is more important because there’s less scope for moving the saddles in order to get the intonation set correctly.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Peebee, mark bailey, Eddie6string and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: