11 Users
452 Likes
WoodCutter
(@petejb)
Eminent Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 233
Topic starter  

Hi, Just finished both of Mark's classes on Udemy and ordered all of my materials straight away. Woodworker and engineer here. Built an electric guitar when I was young but it was garbage. After watching Mark's classes I now know why.Β 

Anyways, just wanted to say hi.Β 

Pete

Β 

mattbeels, swepri, Russ and 9 people reacted
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Welcome to the community @petejb! lot's of good advice and positive vibes here

WoodCutter, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

Hi @petejb, welcome to the group. What are you planning on building?

WoodCutter, mattbeels, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WoodCutter
(@petejb)
Eminent Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

@robin Hi Robin, pleasure to meet you.Β 

I am going the "learn to walk before you run" route and that is to reproduce a guitar nearly identical to the one that Mark designs and builds at Udemy.com in his two related courses.Β 

The pattery is a unique one to Mark I believe. I've attached a picture from Mark's class. That's his paw in the pic BTW, ;).

MarkBaileyUdemyGuitar

Β 

Β 

It's a 25" scale, dual humbucker, floating bridge, set-neck guitar with a 3+3 neck configuration. I am using African Mahogany for both the body and neck, particularly since I found a body with some very beautiful grain patterns. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Β SH-4 JB for the bridge and SH-2n Jazz Model for the neck. Hardware is chrome, pickups are black. Fretboard that selected is Madagascar Rosewood. I plan on staining the guitar with a moderate tone of color, of which I have yet to decide. I have a full woodshop and all of the luthier tools required so this is a first step on a journey. To me its the journey that brings joy (the learning, the acquisition of tacit knowledge, adopting tips and methods of those far more experienced) rather than the destination (becoming a "master", if one can every truly master anything?).Β 

Β 

My apologies for the long-winded response. I tend to be a motor-mouth at times. In any event it is wonderful to find a forum full of like-minded people in a highly specialized niche of interest!

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by WoodCutter

mattbeels, Robin, mark bailey and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WoodCutter
(@petejb)
Eminent Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  
Posted by: @koendb

Welcome to the community @petejb! lot's of good advice and positive vibes here

Thank you koendb. It's good to see people preserving the essential skills of antiquity that might otherwise be lost to automation. Good to be among like-minded people.Β 

mattbeels, Koendb, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@petejb Hey man, welcome to the forum and to the guitar making revolution. Mark’s courses are indeed amazing and really set you up for making guitars in the comfort of your own workshop. I suspect you will carry on making them, it becomes a real addiction you know. 😁👍Β 

We are a helpful bunch when you get stuck or just want a friendly opinion. There is zero tolerance with people being an arse (ass) so you can ask whatever you want without getting your head bitten off. 👍

I’m always glad to welcome a new member and can’t wait to see what you create.Β 

We all make mistakes and share them on here in the form of pictures, videos and explanations of what we did, so others can learn from them. We obviously also share pictures etc of our creations, from start to finish. This generates conversations, information, tips and tricks along the way.Β 

Ask whatever you want, nothing is too silly or insignificant. We are all here to help, as is our guru @markbaileyΒ 

Boo 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

WoodCutter, mattbeels, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

@petejb

Welcome Pete. Enjoy your time here. Hopefully you'll be able to give us some tips. Looking forward to seeing what you're going to build.Β Β 

Cheers,

Russ

🎶🙂🎸🙏

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

WoodCutter, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

Welcome!

I'm relatively new to this forum too, but have already got great answers to my newbie questions (building my first guitar right now).

Mark's clear and logical process for building, paired with this forum makes the guitar making fun and a lot easier.

WoodCutter, mattbeels, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WoodCutter
(@petejb)
Eminent Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  
Posted by: @boo

@petejb Hey man, welcome to the forum and to the guitar making revolution. Mark’s courses are indeed amazing and really set you up for making guitars in the comfort of your own workshop. I suspect you will carry on making them, it becomes a real addiction you know. 😁👍Β 

We are a helpful bunch when you get stuck or just want a friendly opinion. There is zero tolerance with people being an arse (ass) so you can ask whatever you want without getting your head bitten off. 👍

I’m always glad to welcome a new member and can’t wait to see what you create.Β 

We all make mistakes and share them on here in the form of pictures, videos and explanations of what we did, so others can learn from them. We obviously also share pictures etc of our creations, from start to finish. This generates conversations, information, tips and tricks along the way.Β 

Ask whatever you want, nothing is too silly or insignificant. We are all here to help, as is our guru @markbaileyΒ 

Boo 👍

Thanks Boo. I WILL be asking all of you guys with experience questions from time to time. In my profession I mentor a ton of people new to my discipline so I deeply appreciate knowledge from people that have "walked the journey" that I am on so that I don't step in the same pot-holes, that is, make the same mistakes that others had to learn the hard way.Β 

It's so much easier to borrow wisdom and experience than to have to learn it "the hard way", isn't it?Β 

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WoodCutter
(@petejb)
Eminent Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  
Posted by: @swepri

Welcome!

I'm relatively new to this forum too, but have already got great answers to my newbie questions (building my first guitar right now).

Mark's clear and logical process for building, paired with this forum makes the guitar making fun and a lot easier.

Mark is a natural instructor. I am deeply impressed with him. I mean, I am here afterall. πŸ˜‰

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WoodCutter
(@petejb)
Eminent Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  
Posted by: @swepri

Welcome!

Thank you and it's good to know that your knowledge base has increased with the aide of the veterans here. (I'll try not to be a pest though)

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

@petejb Wecome to the builds!

WoodCutter, mattbeels, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@petejb

I am going the "learn to walk before you run" route and that is to reproduce a guitar nearly identical to the one that Mark designs and builds

You can't go far wrong following Mark's course. I had never intended building a guitar before I stumbled onto Mark's livestreams during our Covid lockdown in UK. I build my first one from scrap wood just to see if I could do it. My second was a kit of parts bought from Mark and similar to his course design. For my current build, I'm using what I've learnt and kind of making it up as I go along, and learning more as I go.Β  Post photos of your build progress when you get started and ask as many questions as you like, everyone in this group is very helpful.

WoodCutter, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WoodCutter
(@petejb)
Eminent Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  
Posted by: @russ

@petejb

Welcome Pete. Enjoy your time here. Hopefully you'll be able to give us some tips. Looking forward to seeing what you're going to build.Β Β 

Cheers,

Russ

🎶🙂🎸🙏

Here's an open question for the forum: Of all of the unique tools that Mark sells on his site which ones do you most recommend as "must haves"? I bought some stuff earlier, including the double-sided tape, the round rasp, and the curved wood chisel. I have fret files, fret saw, and a litany of other luthier tools. But is there anything that you guys think that I might have overlooked?Β 

I'm following Mark's advice to a tee on building my first guitar, save that I am staining the wood instead of oiling it. I plan on painting later projects (already watched his course) and I have an air compressor and the safety gear already (I have a lot of tools, its a man-cave thing as you all know)Β 

So what's that "must-have" specialty tool that I am missing?Β 

mattbeels, Boo, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WoodCutter
(@petejb)
Eminent Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

BTW guys, I have worked with dozens of engineers from the UK and pretty much around the world in my 3 decade career so I'm used to the lingo, particularly British/Irish/Scottish.Β 

Being a yank though I will of course absolutely butcher the Queen's English. You'll have to forgive me please. It's in my bloodlines now. ;-}

Arse/ass, boot/trunk, smoke/fag, chips/fries. I get most of them.Β 

mattbeels, Boo, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier

Posted by: @petejb

Here's an open question for the forum: Of all of the unique tools that Mark sells on his site which ones do you most recommend as "must haves"?

For me it is the curved chisel. During my first acoustic build, I noticed the advantage immediately whenΒ  carving the braces. It is a big chisel, but it gets in all corners and it is amazingly easy to control.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@petejbΒ 

Beer fridge. I know you have them in the States, I’ve seen them in Home Depot.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

WoodCutter, mattbeels, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WoodCutter
(@petejb)
Eminent Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rocknroller912

@petejbΒ 

Beer fridge. I know you have them in the States, I’ve seen them in Home Depot.

rocknroller, THAT was the FIRST piece of equipment that I bought for my man cave (garage).Β 

Unfortunately my sweet wife seems to think it's a good place to put Christmas hams and holiday turkeys. I should have put a padlock on it. Less room for beer.Β 

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier

Posted by: @petejb

Unfortunately my sweet wife seems to think it's a good place to put Christmas hams and holiday turkeys. I should have put a padlock on it. Less room for beer.Β 

You really should make clear that ham and turkey are absolutely not good for building guitars.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@petejb Apart from the essential beer fridge, I would say the fret slotting jig with inserts. It means you can buy your own fretboard blanks and make your own fret slotted boards. Obviously we can all buy preslotted boards but they coast more and there is nothing like having the freedom to make your own out of any wood you want to.Β 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: