20 Likes
Peter C-F
(@peter-c-f)
Trusted Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 325
Topic starter  

Hi Folks,

I became disabled in 2016, and needed until 2020 to get back to some form of normailty.

Last year I became interested in the manufacdturing of string instruments and applied for a course in Glasgow, but was put on the waiting list (will apply again as soon as the new term is advertised).

In the mean time I did a lot of reading, and decided to build an archtop guitar based on the Benedetto design (got a couple of his books, really good read).  Got most of the woods, now slowly setting up the workshop so I can begin.

Eventually I intend to focus more in baroque and renaisance stinged instruments as I both enjoy the music and am amazed by the beauty of these instruments.

Hope to enjoy a fruitful time here on the forum.

Russ, swepri, Robin and 1 people reacted
NSJ
 NSJ
(@nsj)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2381

Hey up, I'm about 80 miles further North, Glenisla direction. Welcome to the forum.

Russ, Peter C-F, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@peter - c - f

Welcome to the group Peter, I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce, sounds interesting.

I'm not far from you, I live near Falkirk although I spend most of my time in a caravan in Argyll.

Russ and Peter C-F reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

@peter-c-f.

Welcome Peter. The course in Glasgow is a great start to guitar building. I hope you are successful getting a place. I completed the NQ course and came away with a couple of parlour guitars. Combining doing the course along with watching all of Mark's online courses has given me a great understanding of all the different techniques to guitar building. The difficult bit is putting it all into practice 🤣. I did have a post on here showing the progress but I accidentally deleted it last week while trying to update it. I'll maybe try to post some of the pictures back up again. 

🙂🎸🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Peter C-F and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Brian Walker
(@brie)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 300

Welcome to the forum, I’m looking forward to seeing what you will be building. Enjoy the journey 👍

Sounds like there’s quite a few of us scattered around Scotland, I’m on the northeast coast near Montrose.

AwRaBest

Brian.

Robin, Peter C-F and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Peter C-F
(@peter-c-f)
Trusted Member Customer
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Thank you all for your warm welcome.  Planning on using the local Men's shed to prepare the body mold.

Plan is to use this archtop guitar to learn all the basic techniques required for baroque instruments (hand-carving, inlay, purfling, etc...)

I will start a blog once I figure out where to place it 😀 

Robin, Russ and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
slot-thailand01
(@slot-thailand01)
New Member Customer
Rep Points: 5

Hello Guys my name jo!

I am new here on this platform because this is one of the best platform for guitar knowledge.

Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Peter C-F
(@peter-c-f)
Trusted Member Customer
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

welcome to the forum, Jo

Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: