11 Users
832 Likes
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tv101

Thanks a lot that’s all very clear and just what I was looking for. I thought there would be a smart way I just couldn’t think of it. I’ve got bottom bearing cutters. Starting to think about working now the weather has improved a bit.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Bill Flude, Russ, Deej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

You're welcome @rocknroller912

As Mark is fond of saying - it's just a matter of breaking things down into simple steps and then there's usually a way of getting the job done.

There are probably other ways too, but that's how I've done it.  And it worked.

Just make sure you drill the access holes into the cavities in the right places.

😉

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Bill Flude, Rocknroller912, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@tv101 and @rocknroller912 I still haven’t made a LP type geetar yet. If only we knew someone with a CNC machine that could make us a set of routing templates. 🤔 @darrenking 😉😂

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Bill Flude, Rocknroller912, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I've got the templates @Boo, if you want to make yourself a LP-alike?

If I've got some suitably sized MDF, I could make a set of copies for the body, cavities, etc.

Then you'd just need a straight thing for making straight things for the neck ...

Deej, Bill Flude, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tv101

I probably would have worked it out eventually, I’m a bit rusty after having a long lay off from guitar stuff and using power tools. Mostly I’ve been using hand tools.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, Bill Flude, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@tv101   @Rocknroller912 

Then drill through the cap into the middle of the p'up cavities - the hole just needs to be big enough for a router bit to fit through.

I did my LP'ish body the opposite way, I put the cap on before routing the pickup cavities, I just had a flat top though, not carved.  Note the the wiring channel for the p'up selector switch, it has to cut through the corners of the pickup cavities.

20200828 184708

Likeakite, Bill Flude, Rocknroller912 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I've got the templates @Boo, if you want to make yourself a LP-alike?

If I've got some suitably sized MDF, I could make a set of copies for the body, cavities, etc.

@tv101 Oh that would be good if you could, please. We can do some kind of deal. 😉 

Then you'd just need a straight thing for making straight things for the neck ..

Yep, I’ve got that covered. 😉👍

Deej, Bill Flude, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Oh that would be good if you could, please. We can do some kind of deal. 😉 

@Boo

I did a big tidy of my workshop over the last few days (for reasons that will hopefully become apparent next weekend, ooooo, tease) and I *think* I've got enough MDF to do a couple of body templates, or I might be able to combine the two I've got into one.

I bought a few proper sets of templates a few years ago.  Including LP.  There's one for the body outline and a separate one for all the cavities and routing channels.  But, as long as you've got a decent sized base for your router, you probably only need the one.

If you're going to do the job properly, you should also make a set of templates for the carved top, because that means you can do most of the carve with the router too (you create a series of shelfs - I know that's not the correct plural - in the cap).  I don't have the templates for that, but I do have a PDF.

Deej, Bill Flude, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

If you're going to do the job properly, you should also make a set of templates for the carved top, because that means you can do most of the carve with the router too (you create a series of shelfs - I know that's not the correct plural - in the cap).  I don't have the templates for that, but I do have a PDF.

@tv101 Nice, I really want to make one so anything is welcome, thanks. 

Yeah a PDF is fine. So long as the dimensions are fairly accurate, although maybe only the smallest one has to be bang on. I’ll have to watch some videos on how to do it, I’m sure there are plenty out there. 

Likeakite, Deej, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

Looks like it’s going to be an LP summer

Likeakite, Deej, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: