6 Users
226 Likes
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074
Topic starter  

Like all of us I’m stuck in lockdownville and I’m starting to get some serious cabin fever! 

As I neglected to go buy some MDF I can’t even get my jigs made down in the basement while waiting for a new workshop, d’oh!

Speaking of which, I found out today that I may very well get the space I’ve been eyeing in March. It’s a one minute walk from my apartment, perhaps a bit too close but it will also have its advantages.

It’s about 38 square meters in size so I’ll have plenty of space for all the woodworking machines that I don’t even have! 😆

Another great benefit of my newish neighborhood is that the community woodshop is just a one minute walk from my potential new shop! 

So if all goes well and lockdown ends soonish I’ll be more then setup for my regular repair shop business and some serious guitar making action🤞🎸🤘!

In the meantime I’ve been slowly gathering parts and supplies, mainly wood for the builds. For body blanks I’ve got 2 pieces of B stock Poplar as test pieces, a nice piece of Ash (I can’t say that with a straight face) and a beautiful piece of Sapele. I’ve also got five Maple neck blanks on the way for bolt ons but I still need to get some blanks for set necks.

Anyway, I just needed to vent some of my first world frustration...

What are you guys struggling with?

Practice on scrap...

Peebee, Russ, Boo and 5 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

Hi Matt.

I hope these ants in your pants aren't nipping your ash to much. That's tough not getting to your workshop with it being so close. Can't you order some mdf online for delivery to you.

I'm lucky, I can still get to my garage, although some days it's just too cold to spend much time there. I don't have a bandsaw, so I'm going to be a bit stuck soon once I start the body of my current build. I've been offered the use of two bandsaws, but they're both on business premises so just can't go there just now. I might have to get creative with my router.

Russ, mattbeels, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

What are you guys struggling with?

@mattbeels I’m struggling with the waiting game. I have a load of stuff on order and there are one or two things that I need before I can move forward with my current build. I’m getting so frustrated, I’m thinking of starting another one just so my mind can be occupied with something creative. If I don’t do that, I just sit here and spend more money online. I’ve just ordered a Bareknuckle pickup for £160 I didn’t need it, I already have a pickup for this build. I’ve also ordered a load of airbrush kit. This includes a compressor, 2 x Iwata airbrushes, everything else that makes it all work, oh and a load of airbrush paint. Not cheap over £1,200 I need help, I need to stop spending and start creating. I’m also looking at getting into cigar box guitars too. 

OK, enough of my first world problems, what about other people? 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, mattbeels, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

I'm struggling with the cold weather as I don't have my heating in my work area, but not much else. Last year I anticipated supply problems that Brexit would cause and ordered enough varnish supplies from Germany & Italy to keep me going for a while. I've been waiting a year to get Snakewood from Belgium and it feels like I will never get it.

Still working on repair jobs that I already had waiting, all violins no guitars although I still have the two new builds I started earlier in the year. One advantage of the new lockdown is that it's stopped people giving me new repair jobs, so I might be able to clear the backlog soon. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Boo, Robin, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin

I hope these ants in your pants aren't nipping your ash to much. That's tough not getting to your workshop with it being so close. 

😆😆😆

Actually the space isn’t even mine yet, I won’t know for another week or so...

If it were mine and I couldn’t get in, then that would be beyond aggravating!

I could probably order some mdf but I would prefer to get it at the home center as they have the panel saw and will cut all my pieces nice ‘n square, know what I mean? That saves me a lot of work and frustration so I’ll just have to wait it out... The numbers are lowish where I live so I may only have to wait until the end of the month🤞

I at least have a bandsaw, a decent hobby size that’s served me well for small stuff for repairs. It will be adequate for the first stages of building but I really need a bigger, beefier, better one but damn, they ain’t cheap! 

Using a router like a CNC does work for certain things, you could try that although it’s rather risky for cutting out a body I’d think. Don’t you at least have a jigsaw or maybe you could borrow one? Not the greatest I know but probably a better choice then a router...

Practice on scrap...

Boo, Robin, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo

Damn! Well at least you have funds but I guess at your rate they might not last much longer! 😆

I would love to order up some BK pickups and I thought Duncans were expensive, jeez! But as much as I love Dimarzio and SD etc., I really like BK. The Warpig is a pretty raunchy pu and I’d like to try some others. I also love the build choices that they offer. Much more than just the bobbin colors, I love the short leg option!

But yeah, stop shopping and do some more creating. Draw up some GBG plans, watch some YT videos for knowledge/inspiration and pratice with your new airbrush kit when you get it. 

I have no idea what it’s like where you live but maybe a walk will help... A walk looking for bits that could help you with your CBG projects that is. 😉

From what I’ve seen people have used all sorts of shit for the bodies like gas cans and decorate them with license plates, who knows what you’ll find out there that will pique your interest. And a little fresh air never hurt anyone.

It also really helps to get some exercise in times like these. We don’t need a gym, you are your own gym. Do some body weight training or at least go jogging.

And failing all that then fuck it, just start another guitar if it’ll keep you offline... good luck dude!

Practice on scrap...

Boo, Robin, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912

No heating suuux! How do you keep the instruments stable? Where do you live?

I also do repairs for a living and I hate having a backlog! It took me a while to learn that it was okay to tell my customers to come back in a week or two or make appointments. I used to always tell them to come on over and then I’d have 23 guitars in the shop at any given time needing setups, headstock repairs, new frets, pickup swaps coupled with phone calls, searching for parts, chatty customers ahhhhh I’d go crazy and wished that I had a clone cuz I sure as hell couldn’t afford to pay a helper.

Whew, sorry. Anyway I hope you get your backlog sorted soon...

I guess Covid is to blame for having to wait a year for wood? What the?!?

Practice on scrap...

Russ, Boo, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

Hi Matt

Don’t you at least have a jigsaw or maybe you could borrow one? Not the greatest I know but probably a better choice then a router...

I do have a jigsaw, it works ok for thin stuff and mdf, but really struggles with 2 inch thick hardwood. I've tried a whole range of different blades but it seems to wear through rather than cut. I suspect that its worn out, the blade goes to a bit of an angle when I push it into the cut.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I don't have a bandsaw, so I'm going to be a bit stuck soon once I start the body of my current build.

@robin I might be able to help you out Robin. I’ll get back to you soon. 

If you could email me so we can talk further. Thanks. 

Email - riffraff2020@mail.com 

Thanks.

Boo. 

Robin, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

A walk looking for bits that could help you with your CBG projects that is.

@mattbeels I’ve made a start, I’ve got a few shortbread/chocolate tins from Christmas that are candidates for CBG bodies. 😁

DA0EE522 4A1E 43D4 8492 E909D05B169F
0895D8FF CC00 4D09 B958 A238B36A6BAF
E82CAB04 04A9 4CB2 A470 8886D5B473C2
2D689F4E 7A4B 461C 8F1B D86E1C395107
BCC91637 201C 4C38 B672 132A1804F705

Russ, Robin, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I’ve got a few shortbread/chocolate tins

@boo

Right on, for sure the one with the Buck and especially that psychedelic Cow!

Practice on scrap...

Russ, Boo, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin

the blade goes to a bit of an angle when I push it into the cut.

That’s just how jigsaws are I’m afraid.
A good trick to reduce blade wandering is to cut your piece on top of some foam board insulation but that really only works with thin stock.

In my experience the jigsaw blade will angle away from the cut so if you transfer the center line to the back of your body blank you could trace the template on both sides. Then after (slowly) cutting the body out you could flip the blank and chew away at the ledge left behind. Might work, but try it on some scrap first 😉

Practice on scrap...

Robin, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@mattbeels

I live in SW Scotland about two hours from the Bailey workshop. It's been below zero degrees since before Xmas so I've shifted small repairs into the kitchen. I have to keep instruments inside the house and also wood for two or three weeks if I'm making anything new. Lucky I've got a spare bedroom that doubles as a varnish area with UV cabinet and storage space, but it's not suitable for working in.

My backlog is one neck reset with some colour matching and varnishing, and two varnish retouches after repairs. I think we will be on lockdown until probably March anyway so I couldn't give them back even if they were finished.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Russ, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

I don't have a bandsaw either and made my solid body shapes by drilling all round the outline with an ordinary drill and pointed bit - Spade, Brad point or Forstener. Then the holes can be joined up with a jig saw. It's a bit rough but does work. After that a router or rasp gives the finished shape.

Russ, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

Hi Matt

In my experience the jigsaw blade will angle away from the cut

The blade doesn't wander sideways, I sorted that.

20201214 130617

I think the blade holder is worn. The tip of the blade angles away from the workpiece, so its actually moving away from the workpiece on the downward cutting stroke. So I push a bit harder to make it cut, then the blade catches on the upstroke and throws the workpiece up.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912

Ah, so you have a shed I guess. Ideally that sounds nice except for the obvious problems of sub zero weather...

If you’re not even able to deliver the jobs until the end of March then at least you time to finish them in peace, have fun!

A UV cabinet sounds sweet!

Practice on scrap...

Robin, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin

ahh, I was talking about a handheld jigsaw. I didn’t realize you were talking about a jigsaw... 😆

Practice on scrap...

Robin, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo

btw, which BKP did you order?

Holy Diver? Nailbomb? Painkill-ah?

Practice on scrap...

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

btw, which BKP did you order?

Holy Diver? Nailbomb? Painkill-ah?

@mattbeels Rebel Yell. (I shouldn’t shout about that too much, people may think I’m an insurrectionist 😳) 

2CC44394 C244 4514 92CC 67A40FAD1C73

Russ, mattbeels, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

Hi Matt

ahh, I was talking about a handheld jigsaw. I didn’t realize you were talking about a jigsaw... 😆

Sometimes I bit carried away making stupid things. 🙂

Russ, Boo, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: