302 Likes
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896
Topic starter  

Rather happy to have received a (bona fide) text from my GP surgery a couple of hours ago, inviting me to make a vaccination appointment.

😊

Jab #1 next Tuesday.

👍 👍 👍 

According to the published roll-out schedule, it wasn't due until towards the end of April, so the invite came as a pleasant surprise.  Possibly related to the fact that the SA variant was found in our postcode at the weekend (which was a less pleasant surprise).

We've been in pretty much full-on self-imposed lockdown since last March.  The only shops I've been into are the pharmacy for my flu jab, and the village petrol station (they prefer you to pay before driving away) and certainly no pubs, restaurants, etc. 

For.  A.  Year.

Is the world still out there???

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Robin, Russ and 9 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

Rather happy to have received a (bona fide) text from my GP surgery a couple of hours ago, inviting me to make a vaccination appointment.

@tv101 Excellent, good on ya! Are you old or infirm? 😂

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, Robin, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Well, I'm certainly older (and a lot less firm) than I used to be @Boo - but the schedule still said end-April for my jab - ie I'm not collecting my pension for a while yet!

I'm guessing it's linked to the SA variant being in the area, and a fairly rapid re-assessment of the local risk factors.  Bloody impressive if that's what it is - ie if the logistics are that rapidly responsive to changing conditions.

Deej, Boo, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I'm guessing it's linked to the SA variant being in the area, and a fairly rapid re-assessment of the local risk factors.  Bloody impressive if that's what it is - ie if the logistics are that rapidly responsive to changing conditions.

@tv101 Joking aside, I think you are right. I think our government are finally pulling their finger out, only 12 months late. They don’t care about people, they are just running scared of what we will all remember when the next general election comes along, especially after seeing the election results in America. Total respect to the health care professionals who are the real actors in all of this, they care. My wife had her first jab a couple of weeks ago (she has MS and on the vulnerable list), her second is due in April. Although I am quite a bit younger than her, I may get offered a jab soon due to our household shielding. 

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

Is the world still out there???

Thank goodness for the live streams at least there's still life in the Bailey world

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I think our government are finally pulling their finger out, only 12 months late.

I believe that all the logistics behind vaccine distribution is being run by the military.  Want a job doing properly, ask the professionals (and I don’t mean Cowley, Bodie and Doyle).

👍

There are a lot of people out there, to whom our debt will never be adequately recognised or rewarded.

Deej, Robin, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thank goodness for the live streams at least there's still life in the Bailey world

That’s how it’s been for me too @rocknroller912.  
Carol probably thinks I’ve been joking when I’ve commented that the Weds-Thurs-Sat cycle has kept me sane over the past months, but I’m completely serious.

Its been a link back to the old world, the outside world, and a great break from the stresses of the current world.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I believe that all the logistics behind vaccine distribution is being run by the military.  Want a job doing properly, ask the professionals (and I don’t mean Cowley, Bodie and Doyle).

👍

There are a lot of people out there, to whom our debt will never be adequately recognised or rewarded.

Yep, there will be a lot of unsung heroes that are getting us through all of this and I have no idea how to thank them. The government will step in at the perfect moment to take all the credit. Whoever is sorting the logistics, military, NHS etc, it is very impressive. When I took my wife for her jab, the medical centre was kitted out so so well, I really was like a military operation, a well oiled machine. 

It really is a life saver having internet access as it allows us all to connect with beautiful people like Mark and Carol. I’ve been in some very dark places and this helps beyond belief. And to connect with others, such as everyone here in the forum, allows me to make new friends, even if it is only virtually at this time. I am an introvert but I do recognise that humans are social animals and being able to connect with others is so important. 

I am grateful to a lot of people in our society as well as being very angry with a lot of others. In a way I have given up on England but there are a lot of hidden gems (heroes) here. I’m still leaving for Scotland though. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

In a way I have given up on England but there are a lot of hidden gems (heroes) here. I’m still leaving for Scotland though.

There are good, and bad, people everywhere* @boo.  I don’t think Scottyland is hugely better than England - we just see their marketing material down here.

However, I’ll admit that the scenery and space up there is special, and smaller communities are probably more self-supporting and self-reliant, because they have to be.

*apart from France, obvs.

ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@boo

she has MS and on the vulnerable list

I’m very sorry to hear that John, that cannot be easy. Has she had it long?

Practice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tv101

My situation is the same as I live alone and for a lot of last year had no daily contact with anyone, so it was only the live streams that kept me going. Plus I learned a lot. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Has she had it long?

@mattbeels She has had MS for many years. She has been very lucky, it’s been remit and relapse for a long time and she has worked constantly in our wonderful NHS Service as a senior manager. She has only just taken early retirement (ill health retirement actually) with full pension as her disease has now moved into a progressive stage. I will become her carer as she slowly gets worse and that means I will work from home more, it’s why I’m getting into painting again really. I’m still going to go back to work as a gardener but my hours will be reduced as well as limiting my income. We will be fine financially if we are not extravagant, which we are not anyway. Our mortgage is nearly paid off and we can afford all the bills and food. If we want to do anything else, it’s up to me to come up with making money doing whatever I can. I don’t have huge financial aspirations, just a humble income for a few extra luxuries in life would be good. Life throws us curve balls from time to time and all we can do is deal with it and do the best with what we have. I’m sure I can generate money once the world opens up again. I can probably do it just painting guitars etc and increasing my online profile, I just need to get my work out there and get a good name for myself, word of mouth is the best. It means I’ll probably have to manage multiple businesses but it will keep me busy and out of trouble. 🤘😝🤘🎸

Deej, Rocknroller912, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Keep smiling @boo - that’s one positive attitude.

The wife of a vague friend of mine has a similar challenge.  They keep smiling too.

👍

Deej, Russ, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@boo

That sounds good overall and she’s fortunate to have you! You obviously have your head on straight and your shit together so it sounds like you’ll be fine. 
When are you planning the move to Scotland?

Practice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

That sounds good overall and she’s fortunate to have you! You obviously have your head on straight and your shit together so it sounds like you’ll be fine. 
When are you planning the move to Scotland?

@mattbeels Thanks man. We made a conscious decision years ago to overpay the mortgage and now we are nearing the end of it and the way things have worked out, we are so glad we did. We have been going on holidays in Scotland for years and we have always said it would be nice to retire up there one day, so now (soon) is the opportunity to do it. We would go now but we have my father-in-law to look after, he has dementia and kidney cancer at nearly 90 years old. My mother-in-law died of dementia last year so he is now on his own in the old family home. He has carers going in four times every day but we still want to be here for him, we only live around the corner. It’s been tough on us and continues to be but it’s just life, a continuing collection of problems to solve. We always find time to laugh and enjoy what we have, and support each other when we are in a bad place. In a lot of ways we are lucky, there are so many people surviving under horrendous conditions in this world that are worried and scared for their futures. My problem is that I really despise how the world works, I have done since I became old enough to see it. The only way I can deal with it is by trying to find good people in the world, being good to them and paying forward anything I can to create trust and friendship. I’m trying to be the best person I can be and moving to Scotland will do my soul the world of good. I have some family up there, my sister and my cousin. It’s space, quiet, slower living pace and beautiful scenery that we are interested in, and so long as I have a workshop, I’ll be happy. We make friends pretty quickly as well. 

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Sounds like you're overdue some "you time" @Boo.

😀

Similarly, we had a few holidays in Scotland (both West & East coasts) when we lived in the Lakes, and really enjoyed the space and scenery.  It just felt like a more relaxed place to be.  

Good to have a plan too, and see that it's all achievable.  Don't under-spec the workshop ... work out how much space you'd need, double it to work out how much you'd like, and then double it again, just to be on the safe side.

😉

Deej, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16784

@boo

What part of Scotland are you planning on moving to boo? 

I've done my share of looking after elderly relatives, I hadn't really thought about how much time it takes up and how it wears you down until I wasn't doing it. It's not something you choose to do, it just has to be done.

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

What part of Scotland are you planning on moving to boo? 

@robin West Coast somewhere, not too far from your caravan. We are keeping a close eye on the market and what is available to buy. We are also considering buying a plot and having a modern prefabricated house (single story) put up, it’s very cost effective. I think a lot of people get put off when they hear the word “prefab” or “flat pack” but the modern designs are amazing and have everything installed (including insulation) in the factory. It’s much more cost effective than bricks and mortar and you have more choice. One way or another, it won’t be too long before we will be free to move and we will make something work. It can sound awful to say “free to move” but my father-in-law hasn’t got too much longer, it’s just the truth of it. As soon as we are born, we are dying so we have to take every opportunity we can whilst and when we can. Looking after older family members is just the way of things for most of us  at a certain point in life, now it’s my turn. I may have to do it all over again with my parents at some point too. They are both healthy at the moment but everyone has to go at some point. Anyway, I am going to make sure my wife and I have a great life living the rest of our lives in a beautiful part of Scotland somewhere. I’ll meet up with you at some point in the summer months as we won’t be too far away and I have friends who live in Falkirk so I’ll be visiting them regularly too. My cousin is also in Edinburgh. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland is the future, I’ve seen it (and love it). 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

ReplyQuote
James
(@james-chacewatergmail-com-2)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 720

Carol probably thinks I’ve been joking when I’ve commented that the Weds-Thurs-Sat cycle has kept me sane over the past months,

What happens on a Thursday that I'm missing? 

ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Yeeeeaaah, what’s up with Thursday?

Practice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2